Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacIke

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2003
The Frigid Wasteland of MN
I have purchased from Apple.com an iPad Mini with Verizon LTE and my cell service is with T-Mobile.

Seems really easy to activate the prepaid monthly, $30 for 2GB.

I would like the month to month as it seems like I would end up around $38 with employer discounts and taxes for 4GB.

I do not see how to start a verizon account for month to month if I do not have a phone. Can anyone help.

outie2k

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
Most likely you need to go to Verizon and set up a post-paid account with it to use your discount. As far as I know you will not get any discount with the prepaid sign up from the iPad.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
I don't think Verizon gives discounts on the data plans, just regular cell service. I haven't tried opening an account on Verizon's website if you're only using tablet data, but you should be able to do it right from your iPad.

MacIke

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2003
Let see.

1. You can easily sign up for prepaid plan.

2. According to Verizon people you get the discount on data not on phone. Which I thought sucked.

3. Under Settings. Only a prepaid plan.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Let see.

1. You can easily sign up for prepaid plan.

2. According to Verizon people you get the discount on data not on phone. Which I thought sucked.

3. Under Settings. Only a prepaid plan.

The only type of plan you can sign up for on the iPad itself are the prepaid plans--and you cannot apply your discount to those.

Verizon would be thrilled if you signed up for a post paid plan and you could probably apply your discount then(ask them of course). However, you wouldn't be able to easily shut it off and start it up again upon demand.

MacIke

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2003
However, you wouldn't be able to easily shut it off and start it up again upon demand.

So shutting off the month to month then restarting is not easy?

And yeah no discounts on prepaid and only applies to month to month. But only $8.00 more for 2x the bandwidth.

Which I guess raises the question is how much bandwidth if I do not stream videos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.