Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GrandPhrase

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Hi, my iPhone 5 still has the "WPA2 WiFi" issues and am planning to get it exchanged for a refurbished (or whatever they give me).

I ordered it online and threw away the receipt that came with it in the package. Will I be fine just bringing my iPhone and its box and contents without the receipt since it has a limited warranty of 1 year?

Do I need to provide any credit card (in hand)? Or will the exchange be free without any financial requests of information (as my parents are not with me since I am in Uni)?

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
You don't need a receipt. The iPhone is proof of purchase enough.

Also you shouldn't have to have a waiver for your replacement.

You only need the box w/ contents if you're planning a RETURN and not a Genius Bar replacement.

GrandPhrase

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
You don't need a receipt. The iPhone is proof of purchase enough.

Also you shouldn't have to have a waiver for your replacement.

You only need the box w/ contents if you're planning a RETURN and not a Genius Bar replacement.

Thanks.. and if I were to to get a replacement, is it likely that I will get a new one or a refurbished? Do refurbished basically have new chassis, battery, and everything else the same?

Also, do you think I may be able to somehow get a black iP5 for replacement (mine is white right now)?

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
Thanks.. and if I were to to get a replacement, is it likely that I will get a new one or a refurbished? Do refurbished basically have new chassis, battery, and everything else the same?

Also, do you think I may be able to somehow get a black iP5 for replacement (mine is white right now)?

It's more than likely you'll get a refurb. That's a new chassis, battery and a "used" logic board.

And Apple only offers like-for-like replacements. I wish they let you switch at time of replacement (I'd go Michael Jackson with my iPhone if I could).

GrandPhrase

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
It's more than likely you'll get a refurb. That's a new chassis, battery and a "used" logic board.

And Apple only offers like-for-like replacements. I wish they let you switch at time of replacement (I'd go Michael Jackson with my iPhone if I could).

Lol about that MJ. I've read up on it and there are 2 theories on a used logic board/CPU,GPU - does a used logic board slow down with time or slow down from additional programs?

My question on the used logic board is not from complaint (I'm perfectly fine with a refurb) - just asking out of curiosity..

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
Lol about that MJ. I've read up on it and there are 2 theories on a used logic board/CPU,GPU - does a used logic board slow down with time or slow down from additional programs?

My question on the used logic board is not from complaint (I'm perfectly fine with a refurb) - just asking out of curiosity..

I don't think the components are breaking down rapidly. At least not enough for us to notice performance hits. The reason why I doubt it is because doing a 'Restore as New' clears up performance issues.

However I can't do that. My texts are too valuable. Lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.