Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LaurieF

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2012
Wellington
My order hasn't changed

It still shows:

Ships: 3 - 4 Weeks
Delivers 28/12/2012 - 08/01/2013 via Standard Shipping

It'd be nice if it were still in December, but, oh well, I'll just have another beer.

Laurie Fleming, the singing geek

@lauriefleming

bassfingers

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2010
can you just order it from the store, or do you have to wait for them to actually get in stock? Like order there and have it shipped out delivered to the store and just pick it up?

I have lots of gift cards I am going to use on the purchase and I cant use them to order online, which blows!

Unfortunately not. Apple Stores work on a first come first serve basis. - with the exception of online orders for 'pick up in store'. Which doesn't really solve your problem

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Couldn't wait

Decided to order the 21". Tricked it out with all options. Arrives on Monday.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
Ordered my 27" BTO the day after the launch (Sat 1st) and still hoping for delivery before Christmas but not banking on it.

Either way you're still better off placing your order ASAP and then just waiting.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Oh ****. Missing the holiday season with these shenanigans...

Because folks will only buy a $1899 iMac during the holidays. I don't think depending up Santa is the major factor in the 12 month window for iMac sales.

If anything the holiday are likely part of the problem. If the 21.5" iMacs were "ready to ship in quantity" the week of Thanksgiving in US Apple would have run into a lack of shipping slots due to everyone else stocking up for "Black Friday" weekend sales. Same issue with Christmas for the week of 17-24th in advance of Xmas. Extra shipping slots are likely very tight.

I would guess that either 1/4 (first Friday after) or 8th (first Tuesday after) for there to be a large empty shipping slots to fly. (**)

The dock workers strike in LA-Long Beach probably isn't helping either.

** P.S. the allocation for initial orders probably have disappeared by now.

Last edited:

tmroper

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2008
Palo Alto
Come to think of it, the 27" is probably going to be lot harder to service, too. The videos out there showing how to "de-laminate" the screen/glass combo are all on a 24" model, which looks hard enough. It's going to be really hard to wrangle a 27" one. I'm always just a little worried about not being able to easily replace the hard drive in an iMac, and this new design isn't helping.

myles.hughes

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2012
Yeah baby

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-12-07 at 20.50.31.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-07 at 20.50.31.png
    42.7 KB · Views: 76

Mythos44

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2012
Ordered mine and can't wait to get here.

Well I ordered mine on Wednesday

3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
16GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2X8GB
3TB Fusion Drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5
Magic Trackpad as I have a razor naga elite wireless mouse

They stated because I customized mine so much from the standard that was why the shipping estimate was set for Jan 4-10th.

Shoot I can't wait and want it now. The last mac i bought was my macbook about 5 years ago. So, this is a HUGE upgrade woohoo. :D

Mythos

CWallace

macrumors G4
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I've been considering a 2012 iMac since Barclays is running a new promo for cardholders offering 18 months Same As Cash for purchases over $2000, but the $2000+ transaction has to post by January 17th and with these shipping delays and Apple generally not charging until the product ships, I'm worried it wouldn't post until after that date. Plus I really don't need to replace my 2011 iMac.

So I went to the Apple Store and bought a 4th Gen iPad (since that is 12 months SAC). :D

omenatarhuri

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
Because folks will only buy a $1899 iMac during the holidays. I don't think depending up Santa is the major factor in the 12 month window for iMac .
Cant give you stats but Id say in a typical year they would ship more macs around the holiday season than any other month.

Very happy with the product. I think its the best iMac since those white LCD iMacs, absolutely loved those ones.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Cant give you stats but Id say in a typical year they would ship more macs around the holiday season than any other month.

More Macs doesn't mean more top end iMacs. The more sensitive holiday season iMac to get out the door is the 21.5" model.... which is out.

The major driver on increased holidays season quarter Mac sales is laptops. Their year-over-year increase tends to be higher. A higher fraction 27" iMac buys are made by businesses. They don't buy on Santa Claus cycles. (there is some 'year end tax write off but really for Holiday' sales but in larger scope of the whole year not a dominating factor. As a tax deduction it would be as useful in 2013 as 2012 ( if not more so if taxes go up).

koppen89

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2012
I saw it in a store today. Damn that thing was beautiful. And thin. And not even close to hot, compared to the old generation standing next to it, witch was almost on fire.

can't wait for the 27"!

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Come to think of it, the 27" is probably going to be lot harder to service, too. The videos out there showing how to "de-laminate" the screen/glass combo are all on a 24" model, which looks hard enough.

They don't "de-laminate" the panel. The whole panel ( glass+lcd electronics ) is one piece. That now single component is double sided taped to the case.

They likely use double sided tape on the 27" model also.

The old models with the glass separate from the electronics had their own complexity issues.

madlovemonkey

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2012
Vancouver, BC
I've never had an iMac but that thing looks sexy. I've been thinking of getting a Mac so I can start using Final Cut Pro for video editing. This might be the time...

Silvereel

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
I've been considering a 2012 iMac since Barclays is running a new promo for cardholders offering 18 months Same As Cash for purchases over $2000, but the $2000+ transaction has to post by January 17th and with these shipping delays and Apple generally not charging until the product ships, I'm worried it wouldn't post until after that date. Plus I really don't need to replace my 2011 iMac.

I tried that. Long story short, there was a problem, and I spent 5 days dealing with a guy in India who didn't understand my problem before I told them to cram it up their a$$ and bought it with my regular card. Unfortunately, there's probably a lot of people who really need to finance it, and for them I have sympathy.

iPad2lover

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2011
To be honest they may as well have called it the early 2013 iMac, since they are in pretty short supply and just announced announced in next year in Jan. I was one of the lucky ones and manged to get the last great iMac before Apple purposely flawed it and increased the price. I manage to get mine the day after the announcement,:)

How did you do that ?

kendall69

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2011
It's all about the strile in Long Beach Ca.

Union went on strike all the goods are sitting off shore - it just ended Delay in getting out for shipping

lizardofwoz

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2012
Australia
Union went on strike all the goods are sitting off shore - it just ended Delay in getting out for shipping

Of course!. Why didn't I think of that. An American Union strike is delaying deliveries in Australia.

You know where Australia is? It is over there near Japan :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.