Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pooleman

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
Just like the title says. I have an iPhone 5 and an iPad mini LTE. Do I really need and iPod touch? I want one but will probably regret it later. But there is truly nothing better that opening a new Apple product. I have about $400 worth of BESTBUY gift cards to burn and not sure what to buy.

I need a new laptop but don't have enough for a Macbook. Any thoughts? Is there any benefit to owning these 3 iDevices or am I throwing money away?

Dorje Sylas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
As you have an iPhone 5 you have a better iPod Touch then the current iPod Touch.

I guess the question is what tasks do you need the Laptop for?

I used to use a laptop for college but since then (and with the release of the iPad) I'm now using remote access software to get back to my far more powerful tower when I'm 'mobile' away from home.

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
If u have an iPhone then u don't need a Touch. It is sometimes tempting to get it if u like apple gear (fanboy). The thing about the iPhone is that u have it with u almost all the time.

hoodedwarbler12

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2012
Tennessee
There is absolutely nothing the iPod touch can do that a combination of the iPad mini and iPhone 5 cannot do. The only reason you'd want it is the thinness and lightness. I have a 5g and now everything else feels heavy and thick, lol.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
You're definitely throwing your money away. iPod touch on top of iPhone 5 + iPad mini is extreme overkill.

burgundyyears

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Just like the title says. I have an iPhone 5 and an iPad mini LTE. Do I really need and iPod touch? I want one but will probably regret it later. But there is truly nothing better that opening a new Apple product. I have about $400 worth of BESTBUY gift cards to burn and not sure what to buy.

I need a new laptop but don't have enough for a Macbook. Any thoughts? Is there any benefit to owning these 3 iDevices or am I throwing money away?

I can't imagine the benefit of the iPod touch even if you only had the iPhone, let alone the iPad mini w/LTE as well! You won't have any use I can think of for the touch. Maybe save money on holiday shopping instead?

pooleman

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
The only thing I may need is an iPod without a camera. I work in a defense p,ant that doesn't allow any device with camera capability. So I was thinking of get one the iPod touch and then disabling the camera or just getting a new iPod nano. I'm unsure. I'm on the road traveling for work now so I'm sitting on all this periderm money and nothing to do but work 12 hours a day and spend money.

burgundyyears

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
The only thing I may need is an iPod without a camera. I work in a defense p,ant that doesn't allow any device with camera capability. So I was thinking of get one the iPod touch and then disabling the camera or just getting a new iPod nano. I'm unsure. I'm on the road traveling for work now so I'm sitting on all this periderm money and nothing to do but work 12 hours a day and spend money.

The touch has two cameras like the iphone - the back one could be "disabled" easily enough but i'm not sure how you'd disable the front one without disassembling it or breaking the glass? Doesn't seem viable to me.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
I'd either get a Windows 8 laptop (it won't exactly be high end though) or the iPod Touch. You could use it as a media device at home or work so you don't drain your phones battery. A nice set of speakers or some external drives might be nice too. Tech wise, you can do a lot with $400

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012

Get a Classic. May be abit old stuff, but the 36hrs battery is comparable to the iPod Touch 5th Gen's 40 hrs. Plus you get 160GB of storage. And you don't have to worry about disabling the camera or whatsoever. :)

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
With the current price of Touch 5, it is just not worthed if you already owned IPhone 5. Or you can try gen 4 just for music and light gaming.

Still, Laptop would be a better choice. Why does it has to be Mac anyway, Window 7 notebook should do just fine for typical use, no?

pooleman

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
With the current price of Touch 5, it is just not worthed if you already owned IPhone 5. Or you can try gen 4 just for music and light gaming.

Still, Laptop would be a better choice. Why does it has to be Mac anyway, Window 7 notebook should do just fine for typical use, no?

I just prefer the Mac to PC. My iBook G4 is still functioning after 8 years of use. Its old and antiquated now and won't run current software, sync with my iDevices, and I want to be able to do things like use airplay form the laptop to Apple TV. I may end up just getting a new Mac Mini as mine is now no longer supported by Apple.

bjm2660

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Virginia
I just prefer the Mac to PC. My iBook G4 is still functioning after 8 years of use. Its old and antiquated now and won't run current software, sync with my iDevices, and I want to be able to do things like use airplay form the laptop to Apple TV. I may end up just getting a new Mac Mini as mine is now no longer supported by Apple.

Yes. Now you're talking. The mini fulfills a need; the iPod Touch does not. Recent minis are screamers compared to the machine you'd be replacing.

jonsuh

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2010
Concur with most of the post above, not worth getting the iPod Touch. Get some accessories for your devices, and not to just "throw" your money away but legitimately useful ones. Maybe bluetooth earphones or bluetooth portable speakers?

Not sure what you own already, but I own a Jawbone JAMBOX and I love that thing! Now I wish I had the Big JAMBOX but the original one still packs a punch.

Some iTunes gift cards for yourself as well for some apps?

Androidfan1x

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2012
the ipod touch is basically an phone-less iphone and uses older/worse hardware compared to the iphone

the ipad mini is basically a smaller ipad and uses older/worse hardware compared to the ipad

so there's no reason to get an ipod touch if you already have an iphone, but there's a reason to get the ipad mini instead of the ipad: the smaller size

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
the ipod touch is basically an phone-less iphone and uses older/worse hardware compared to the iphone

the ipad mini is basically a smaller ipad and uses older/worse hardware compared to the ipad

so there's no reason to get an ipod touch if you already have an iphone, but there's a reason to get the ipad mini instead of the ipad: the smaller size

you are contradicting yourself because from what you said, if you already owned Ipad, why get a mini since its just smaller older cpu, cheaper hardware? To fill up space?

Some iphone users have Ipod touch for when they go to fitness. As for the OP, he shouldn't get ipod touch because Mini is already like an enlarged Ipod touch. If he has Ipad 4 then i would suggest get Ipod touch 4 for music, light game and fitness and dont drain all battery from his iphone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.