Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today officially revealed that its new Causeway Bay retail store at Hysan Place will open this Saturday, becoming the company's third store in Hong Kong. The new store is a massive flagship location, as evidenced by the company's use of "curtain" graphics on the facade as is typically reserved for Apple's most significant openings.

Panorama of Causeway Bay facade with "curtain" graphics (Thanks, Anson!)
Click for larger

The new store will cover three levels and has been reported to encompass approximately 20,000 square feet of space, with the facade including 30-foot tall glass windows currently covered by the curtain graphics. Playing upon the large facade, Apple's tagline for the premiere is "An opening you simply can't miss."

The new Causeway Bay store is not the only location seeing a grand opening next weekend, as the MixC Chengdu store in Chengdu, China will also be opening on Saturday, December 15. Like the Causeway Bay store, the Chengdu store had previously been profiled as part of Apple's major retail store push into its Greater China market.

Apple is also opening its new Fountain Gate store near Melbourne, Australia on Saturday and will be Apple's fourth location in the state of Victoria.

Update: Apple will also be opening its Emporia store in Malmö, Sweden on Saturday, becoming the company's second store in the country exactly three months after the Täby Centrum store outside of Stockholm debuted.

Article Link: Apple's Massive New Hong Kong Store with 30-Foot Tall Glass Windows Leads Next Weekend's Grand Openings

Last edited:

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
These are cool, but we could use a few more of these iconic stores back at home in the U.S. I don't think there are any fancy Apple stores within 1000 miles of me. But honestly I'd take just a regular Apple Store that isn't 130 miles away. The one in Best Buy just doesn't cut it.

However, I can see the importance of such stores in places like China. No copycat stores can pull off these landmark structures. You know these are legit!

BlueParadox

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Still waiting for a flagship superstore here in the city of Melbourne. Unfortunately, from what I've read, Apple are EXTREMELY particular about the criteria for such a building, and as yet there are no feasible locations.

A bummer, for sure, particularly after seeing the flagship stores in Paris, London, and Japan, one here in Melbourne would be just dandy. And no worries finding popularity, as the other 3 Apple stores in the suburbs of Melbourne are ALWAYS packed, with the stores themselves looking rather small.

Anyhow, for now, go Fountain Gate.

ConCat

macrumors 6502a
These are cool, but we could use a few more of these iconic stores back at home in the U.S. I don't think there are any fancy Apple stores within 1000 miles of me. But honestly I'd take just a regular Apple Store that isn't 130 miles away. The one in Best Buy just doesn't cut it.

However, I can see the importance of such stores in places like China. No copycat stores can pull off these landmark structures. You know these are legit!

Apple's working on the highest traffic areas first I'd imagine. Someday we'll all have an Apple Store next door. ;)

BuckusToothnail

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2012
It makes SENSE that Apple is making such a HUGE push opening so many stores in ONE CITY given that Hong Kong offers Apple its HIGHEST PROFIT MARGINS in the world.

Why? Hong Kong Island is ONLY 26 miles away from the Foxconn plant in Shenzhen that assembles and packages Apple products.

So instead of shipping their products, say, 7,000 miles from Shenzhen, China to the western border of the US, with the shipping cost BUILT INTO the retail prices of their products, Apple just needs to send their products in a TRUCK for less than the hour commute between Shenzhen and Hong Kong.

AND ironically Apple products are MORE EXPENSIVE in Hong Kong than in the US, even further BOOSTING Apple's profit margin beyond just keeping what it saves on shipping.

And given that there is NO SALES TAX in Hong Kong, Apple doesn't have to ADJUST its retail prices in Hong Kong to accommodate sales taxes like it does in mainland China, so its profit margins are higher in Hong Kong than ANY OTHER major Chinese city.

And given Hong Kong shares a border with Shenzhen, there's less costs for Apple shipping to Hong Kong than to even mainland Chinese cities Shanghai or Beijing.

So for all the people complaining that Apple is screwing them with their high prices for Chinese made goods, just take note of the fact that Apple is SCREWING THE CHINESE even more!

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009

I haven't seen any copycat Apple Stores in Hong Kong. It was in western part of mainland China. :rolleyes:

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
AND ironically Apple products are MORE EXPENSIVE in Hong Kong than in the US, even further BOOSTING Apple's profit margin beyond just keeping what it saves on shipping.

Apple products are actually cheaper here than they are in the USA, check their website if you don't believe me.
HK apple products are cheapest in the world. did you even do any research before making outlandish comments?

And given that there is NO SALES TAX in Hong Kong, Apple doesn't have to ADJUST its retail prices in Hong Kong to accommodate sales taxes like it does in mainland China, so its profit margins are higher in Hong Kong than ANY OTHER major Chinese city.
... sales tax is added before the price is advertised, unlike in america (where the consumer sees it).

And given Hong Kong shares a border with Shenzhen, there's less costs for Apple shipping to Hong Kong than to even mainland Chinese cities Shanghai or Beijing.
errr, have you any idea how hostile it is between China and Hong Kong?.....

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
It makes SENSE that Apple is making such a HUGE push opening so many stores in ONE CITY given that Hong Kong offers Apple its HIGHEST PROFIT MARGINS in the world.

Why? Hong Kong Island is ONLY 26 miles away from the Foxconn plant in Shenzhen that assembles and packages Apple products.

So instead of shipping their products, say, 7,000 miles from Shenzhen, China to the western border of the US, with the shipping cost BUILT INTO the retail prices of their products, Apple just needs to send their products in a TRUCK for less than the hour commute between Shenzhen and Hong Kong.

So for all the people complaining that Apple is screwing them with their high prices for Chinese made goods, just take note of the fact that Apple is SCREWING THE CHINESE even more!
Apple products are not more expensive in Hong Kong except the iPhone 5 (its price was raised for 10% in HK compared with 4S). Hong Kong doesn't have any sort of VAT or sales tax, while Apple US prices are ex-tax and you need to add back the VAT/sales tax on the listed prices.

----------

Apple products are actually cheaper here than they are in the USA, check their website if you don't believe me.

As mentioned Hong Kong doesn't have any sales tax so what you see is what you pay unlike the US Store, with the unfortunate exception of the iPhone 5 which Apple deliberately raised the price from HK$5088 to HK$5588 (~10% increase) while the unlocked US units stay at the same price.

Here are some examples (all US prices are ex-tax!)

iPad 4 WiFi 16GB: HK$3888 = US $501 / c.f. US$499 ex-tax
MacBook Pro with Retina Display 15-inch = HK$16,888 = $2179 ex-tax (HK is $20 cheaper)
iMac 21.5inch = HK$9888 = US $1,275 ex-tax (HK is $24 cheaper)

Last edited:

BuckusToothnail

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2012

What are you talking about???

http://store.apple.com/hk/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone5

iPhone 5 16GB - HK$5,588

According to TODAY'S conversion rate on XE, is USD$729.03.

http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert/?Amount=5588&From=HKD&To=USD

The announced price in the US is USD$649. How is the Hong Kong price NOT more expensive than in the US???

The iPad Mini 16GB is HK$2,588.

http://store.apple.com/hk/buy/home/shop_ipad/family/ipad_mini

That coverts to USD$333.93 using today's exchange rate on XE.

http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert/?Amount=+2588&From=HKD&To=USD

In the US it's USD$329. How is it again that "Apple products are actually cheaper [in Hong Kong] than they are in the USA"?

The iPad 4? It's HK$3,888 for the 16GB model.

http://store.apple.com/hk/buy/home/shop_ipad/family/ipad

According to XE, that's the equivalent to USD$501.67.

http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert/?Amount=3888&From=HKD&To=USD

In the US? USD$499.

So you're WRONG on EVERY count, and NO, I certainly DON'T BELIEVE YOU and I suggest YOU "check their website".

ollyb

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2011

Don't use CAPITAL LETTERS so much, it looks REALLY LAME!!!!111!!

BuckusToothnail

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2012
HK apple products are cheapest in the world. did you even do any research before making outlandish comments?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! "HK apple products are cheapest in the world""??? You are CLUELESS. Read my previous post with LINKS completely disproving your "outlandish comment".

YOU are the one that should do some "research" before completely EMBARRASSING yourself!

... sales tax is added before the price is advertised, unlike in america (where the consumer sees it).

WRONG AGAIN! There is NO SALES TAX in Hong Kong other than on alcohol and cigarettes.

http://www.discoverhongkong.com/nz/plan-your-trip/know-hong-kong/frequently-asked-questions.jsp

Seriously, do some fact-checking before making yourself look like a TOTAL JOKE! :D

errr, have you any idea how hostile it is between China and Hong Kong?.....

:D:D:D:D

Are you SERIOUS???? Hong Kong is a PART OF CHINA!!!! Wow. The ignorance on this thread (and by extension this ENTIRE BOARD) is ASTOUNDING. You TRULY are an embarrassment to us Apple users.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_Kong

----------

Don't use CAPITAL LETTERS so much, it looks REALLY LAME!!!!111!!

Not as LAME as not knowing how to USE the SHIFT KEY. What on earth is "!!!!111!!"? :rolleyes:

And why NINE "attempted" exclamation marks? That's way more LAME than using capitalization for EMPHASIS. :D

QJMan

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2012

I hate this Apple policy. Greedy outside the USA! :mad:

Last edited:

BuckusToothnail

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2012
Apple products are not more expensive in Hong Kong except the iPhone 5 (its price was raised for 10% in HK compared with 4S). Hong Kong doesn't have any sort of VAT or sales tax, while Apple US prices are ex-tax and you need to add back the VAT/sales tax on the listed prices.

----------

As mentioned Hong Kong doesn't have any sales tax so what you see is what you pay unlike the US Store, with the unfortunate exception of the iPhone 5 which Apple deliberately raised the price from HK$5088 to HK$5588 (~10% increase) while the unlocked US units stay at the same price.

Here are some examples (all US prices are ex-tax!)

iPad 4 WiFi 16GB: HK$3888 = US $501 / c.f. US$499 ex-tax
MacBook Pro with Retina Display 15-inch = HK$16,888 = $2179 ex-tax (HK is $20 cheaper)
iMac 21.5inch = HK$9888 = US $1,275 ex-tax (HK is $24 cheaper)

WRONG! Not only did I list EXAMPLES (as in PLURAL) where Apple products are MORE EXPENSIVE in Hong Kong than in the US, but YOU DID AS WELL!

Look at your OWN listing for iPad 4. :rolleyes:

So please EXPLAIN how "Apple products are not more expensive in Hong Kong except the iPhone 5"???

And yes, I was RIGHT that Hong Kong DOES NOT have a sales tax, but you MISSED the WHOLE POINT I mentioned it which is the fact that the rest of mainland China DOES have a sales tax.

And given Apple is actually charging LESS for its products in mainland China than in Hong Kong once the sales tax is removed from the retail price, that means Apple has an even HIGHER PROFIT MARGIN in Hong Kong than it does in the REST of CHINA.

This is also why I mentioned the proximity of Shenzhen, where Apple products are assembled and packaged, to Hong Kong given than Hong Kong is even CLOSER to Shenzhen than the rest of mainland China, even though Hong Kong technically is NOT part of "mainland China', but rather a "special administrative region" of the PRC.

And how does ANY of your "arguments" address my POINT which is "It makes SENSE that Apple is making such a HUGE push opening so many stores in ONE CITY given that Hong Kong offers Apple its HIGHEST PROFIT MARGINS in the world"?

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
WRONG! Not only did I list EXAMPLES (as in PLURAL) where Apple products are MORE EXPENSIVE in Hong Kong than in the US, but YOU DID AS WELL!

Look at your OWN listing for iPad 4. :rolleyes:

So please EXPLAIN how "Apple products are not more expensive in Hong Kong except the iPhone 5"???

And yes, I was RIGHT that Hong Kong DOES NOT have a sales tax, but you MISSED the WHOLE POINT I mentioned it which is the fact that the rest of mainland China DOES have a sales tax.

And given Apple is actually charging LESS for its products in mainland China than in Hong Kong once the sales tax is removed from the retail price, that means Apple has an even HIGHER PROFIT MARGIN in Hong Kong than it does in the REST of CHINA.

This is also why I mentioned the proximity of Shenzhen, where Apple products are assembled and packaged, to Hong Kong given than Hong Kong is even CLOSER to Shenzhen than the rest of mainland China, even though Hong Kong technically is NOT part of "mainland China', but rather a "special administrative region" of the PRC.

And how does ANY of your "arguments" address my POINT which is "It makes SENSE that Apple is making such a HUGE push opening so many stores in ONE CITY given that Hong Kong offers Apple its HIGHEST PROFIT MARGINS in the world"?

Yes the iPad is $501 in Hong Kong and it's plain $501 without any sales tax attached to it. So it will be more expensive in the States when you consider the actual payment.

BuckusToothnail

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2012
Yes the iPad is $501 in Hong Kong and it's plain $501 without any sales tax attached to it. So it will be more expensive in the States when you consider the actual payment.

Wow, you are truly MISSING the entire point.

I'm talking about Apple's profit margin here. The entire gist of my post is Apple's profit margins in Hong Kong are HIGHER than anywhere else in the world.

I went on to explain that Apple is able to achieve this because of the MUCH LOWERED shipping costs it needs to pay getting its products from its Foxconn manufacturing and packaging plant in Shenzhen to Hong Kong, which is just 26 miles away, rather than the US which is around 7,000 miles away on the West Coast.

And despite there being negligible shipping costs to Hong Kong compared to the US, Apple products are actually MORE EXPENSIVE in Hong Kong, which I provided examples in a later post.

So your point about how Apple products are more expensive in the US after factoring SALES TAX is IRRELEVANT because those taxes go to the government, not to Apple and contribute ZERO to Apple's profit margin on those products.

Do you understand now?

And please, with the iPhone 5, now Apple's most popular and highest revenue grossing product BY FAR, costing around USD$80 MORE in Hong Kong than in the States, sales tax or not, it's still FAR more EXPENSIVE buying in Hong Kong than in the US.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.