Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Who is the most important executive at Apple, Inc.?

• Tim Cook - CEO

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • Eddy Cue - Internet Software/Services

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Craig Federighi - iOS/Software Engineering

• Jonathan Ive - Industrial Design/Human Interface

Votes: 33 62.3%
  • Bob Mansfield - Technologies

• Peter Oppenheimer - CFO

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dan Riccio - Hardware/Component Engineering

• Philip Schiller - Global Marketing/Advertising

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Jeff Williams - Operations

• Total voters

PhiladelphiaX

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Who is the most important executive at Apple, Inc.? In other words, which person is the most crucial to the future success of Apple as a company?

What's your reasoning behind why you consider them the most important executive?

Tim Cook: Chief Executive Officer
Eddy Cue: Internet Software/Services
Craig Federighi: iOS/Software engineering
Jonathan Ive: Industrial Design/Human Interface
Bob Mansfield: Technologies
Peter Oppenheimer: Chief Financial Officer
Dan Riccio: Hardware/Component Engineering
Philip Schiller: Worldwide Marketing/Advertising
Jeff Williams: Operations

Discuss!

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
Tim Cook because he has the final say and he runs the company? Easy question.

The question is not an "easy question" because it's subjective in nature. I'd argue that Jony Ive is the most important executive at Apple -- he's responsible for two huge roles at Apple right now. The product design and the UI/UX on the iOS.

I'd say Jony Ive is by far the most important executive at Apple, Tim Cook is perhaps the most "powerful" executive at Apple, but not the most important.

Last edited:

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
I'm more towards iOS than Mac OSX so forgive me. A year earlier, I would've chose Scott Forstall because I like the way iOS is progressing (besides the Maps fiasco). Right now, I'll go with Craig Federighi. Jony Ive is important as well for the hardware part.

And of cos, majority would agree that Apple would be better hands if Steve Jobs was still alive and helming the company.

P.S. I've never actually seen the Peter Oppenheimer guy before in any of the keynotes.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
The questions is not an "easy question" because it's subjective in nature. I'd argue that Jony Ive is the most important executive at Apple -- he's responsible for two huge roles at Apple right now. The product design and the UI/UX on the iOS.

I'd say Jony Ive is by far the most important executive at Apple, Tim Cook is perhaps the most "powerful" executive at Apple, but not the most important.

If Ive was the most important, wouldn't he have been the successor to jobs?

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole

Ive was one of the rare individuals Steve held high regard (a short list indeed). Perhaps Jobs originally offered the office to Ive but there were too many headaches and very little design. The slight raise probably wouldn't even be enough to pull him away...

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Tim Cook followed by Jony Ive.

How do you mean "follow"

Follow as in: 1st important is CEO and 2nd important Head of Design
O
follow as in: Ive become new CEO ?

Beside that I put a wrong answer in: finally I think I've is most important as he will develop with his team ooh ow Apple's products will look like; second would be Federighi as he need to ensure a stable realization of Ive's design in SW.

Last edited:

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Tell you what, if you are a Jobs' Protege, the man is no longer around to shield you. Nobody is indispensable. Cook is in charge, unless he does something dumb like HP's Mark Hurd (woman), or Yahoo's Scott Thompson (lied), or Lockheed's Christopher Kubasik (woman again).

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California

It's been noted on several occasions that Steve Jobs wanted Ive to succeed him in running the company -- Ive respectfully declined. He said he didn't want to be the CEO, but instead he wanted to remain the "product guy". Steve was so much closer to Jony Ive than he was to Tim Cook, Scott Forstall or anyone else at the executive level of the company. Jobs referred to Ive as his spiritual partner at Apple, Inc. This is a direct quote from Steve Jobs' wife, Laurene Powell:

"Jony had a special status," ... "He would come by our house, and our families became close. Steve is never intentionally wounding to him. Most people in Steve’s life are replaceable. But not Jony."

Steve, along with others (including Jony himself) felt that while Jony had the most well-crafted understanding of what Apple is, how it should be run, and the direction it should be headed, promoting him to CEO would maybe divert his attention from what he does great -- that being designing Apple products. CEO is more of a strategic leadership position. Tim Cook promoted Jony Ive to hold responsibility for both industrial design as well as UI/UX (user interface and user experience). That oughtta say a lot about who has more value and importance to the company - not necessarily power - there's a difference between the two.

Here's another Steve Jobs quote:

"He [Jony Ive] has more operational power than anyone else at Apple except me. There’s no one who can tell him what to do, or to butt out. That’s the way I set it up."

Full story here: http://www.businessinsider.com/jony-ive-2012-10

Last edited:

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
"He [Jony Ive] has more operational power than anyone else at Apple except me. There’s no one who can tell him what to do, or to butt out. That’s the way I set it up."

Full story here: http://www.businessinsider.com/jony-ive-2012-10

But he doesn't want the CEO job.

CEO is for people who are "into" the business and are into leading other people. Ive may just be happy designing things. Yes he has (had) been given a lot of power. The Designer is king at Apple as they say.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I voted Tim Cook ... obviously Jony Ive is extremely important but the future of the company rests on Tim, and if it fails, it will be because of his leadership.

bigjobby

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2010
London, UK
All the execs are as important as each other but its up to Cook to correctly configure the organisation and its outputs to maximise the potential of its synergies. If that makes any sense.:)

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
I look at that list and think if one of those died which would have the most impact. That has to be Ive, so that's where my vote went.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Apple released its preliminary proxy statement today. Jony Ive is the only SVP not listed as an executive officer in the filing. Anyone know why? I just find it interesting because after the recent management shakeup many suggested he was the most important exec at Apple. He clearly seems to have plenty of power within the company, so it seems odd he wouldn't be listed as an exec officer. I'm assuming his salary and stock options are similar to his fellow SVPs? Unless its because he's not a US citizen? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.