Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fel10

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
Everything works great, except it has a slight yellow tint. My iphone 4 (right) has a cooler screen, and the new iphone (left) looks slightly yellow. Now, I've been hearing a lot of complaints from people saying that they also got this issue, and when they went to get it replaced, they got the same problem. So should I try and get a replacement, or am I being too paranoid? And may I add that the colors on the new iphone looks more accurate than on my old phone.

f4dbefb568d316106a05f76899c032e3.jpg

279448819a06943d810e4d685966717c.jpg

acorntoy

macrumors 68010
May 25, 2010
The screen is just calibrated warmer. More accurate colors in photos but in whites may look a Bit yellow. Many reviewers also mention it.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Iphone5 calibration allows for better color reproduction. we're all used to the bluish-white calibration of the 4 and 4s

fel10

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
Thanks for the response everyone. I was starting to get worried. Wasn't looking forward to getting a replacement, since everything else work flawlessly on my new phone.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
dont mind that, after you get used to the warmer screen, believe me it's much better than the cooler tint on the iPhone 4.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Damnn, i guessed it would be the yellow screen, every frickin time someone thinks they have a problem and it's unique to them lmao.

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
You can't say a "Warmer" tint is better really, it's wrong. Skin tones with a green cast make people look ill. If the colour output is too far away from neutral some will be too strong and some too weak. Excusing a yellow/green tint as some kind of improvement is drinking the Apple Kool-aid a little, so to speak.

Apple should at least give us some calibration option since the only way to access that is by jailbreaking. This is how wrong my iPhone 5 measures and from what I've seen they're pretty much all like this:

iPhone5ScreenColour.png

The iPhone 4's cooler blue tint was much closer to correct than this, it's just pretty poor when the iPhone 5 is partly sold on the amazing colour depth and screen, if the colours are wrong and tinted then that doesn't really count for much. If you see a calibrated screen next to this you'll understand how much of a difference it makes, everything looks better.

The iPhone 5 screen is a bit of a disappointment as most of the people I know with one preferred the look of their iPhone 4, especially when compared side by side. I know a load of fanboys will chime in and say they preffer pissy yellow to over-clean blue but the fact is it measures farther from neutral - it's not as good.

zhandri

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
actually i like your iphone 5 screen better. the other one looks a little redish imo

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Hi,

Before you created your thread I'm sure you will have used both google and the search facility on macrumors which will have highlighted existing threads and information on this greatly covered subject.

Im surprised all of this did not already answer your questions !

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
So its not a problem right ? It is normal to be like that ?

On a purely technical level it's not as good as it could (or should, considering Apple's general standards) be, in terms of the iPhone 5 it's standard performance and should be considered normal.

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
The screen on your 5 is good. I have seen a couple that actually do have buttery screens. Nothing to do with the more "saturated" colors they advertised.

You can tell right away because the blue elements in the UI, such as in safari, around the url, are not blue. they'll be buttery nasty.

I will say though, the 5's color temp seems way more consistent than the 4S.

The 4S had major issues with the screens. So many had the nasty yellowness.

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
I am glad I don't suffer from the amount of OCD the plagues many users in this thread.

While I get your point, we're buying the most expensive mainstream phone on the market (which is obviously meant to be much more of a media device than just a phone nowadays), part of the selling point is the "amazing" screen. If it's not performing as well as it should then people can be expected to bring it up.

I didn't measure my screen because of lack of better things to do, I measured it because I wondered why people in pictures had sickly skin tones, especially next to my iPhone 4 that had a very good screen overall (and even after two years a better battery life as a side issue!). I just so happen to calibrate TV's as part of my job so had the gear and the tint stands out a mile if you're used to seeing a screen that is correct.

People are allowed to rave about great things something does (at the risk of being called a fanboy) but if you point out something as being sub-standard on an Apple forum then everyone likes to act all "like, whatever, get a life" - I'd rather Apple have a chance of being aware about things they can improve than try to brush it under the rug. I would have returned my phone if I thought I'd get something better in exchange but from what I've seen I won't. Apple is no longer at the cutting edge of this market in many ways and if they get too complacent (see Nokia) it's easy to fall behind rapidly.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
No problem man. That's how they all are. I highly advise not wasting your time/effort trying to get a more "blue" phone. A "cooler" iphone 5 is more of an anomaly than the "warmer" ones. That's just how they are.

Honestly, I liked the screen on my 4s but holding my "warmer" iphone 5 next to it makes it look BLUE. No joke. I pull up a pic that has any white on it and it looks like it has a blue tint to it versus the same picture on my iPhone 5.

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012
Yep, the o' yellow screen. Take it back. Some will defend the urine tone as 'correct' or true color, it's not. When white looks nicotine stained, it is not correct.

Mr. Buzzcut

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2011
Ohio
What if I'm looking at your pics on a blue iPhone 4 screen? Lol. The 5 looks white and the 4 blue. But it's just a pic of a screen shown on another screen so who knows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.