Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Masterhalifax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
UK
AAAAHHHHH...

So my memory was full on my Macbook Air, so i transferred all my Tunes library across to an external hard drive and deleted it off my MacAir. I opened it from my external drive and it opened no issues....

Later i updated my MacAir, this included new iTunes 11.0. Now i cant open my iTunes from my Hard drive, its states -

The file “iTunes Library.itl” cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes. Would you like to download iTunes now? (which isnt true, it was created by an older version!

Then i click download and this message appears -

An unknown error occurred (-42408)

I have tried iTunes preferences - Advanced and selecting new library but it wont let me select from external drive (its faded out)...

HELP...

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
Have you tried trashing the iTunes preferences? I haven't seen this issue before but that might jump-start it working again and allow you to set your external as your library source.

If that doesn't work I have a hunch that you'll have to re-download iTunes and re-import your library.

Masterhalifax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
UK
Have you tried trashing the iTunes preferences? I haven't seen this issue before but that might jump-start it working again and allow you to set your external as your library source.

If that doesn't work I have a hunch that you'll have to re-download iTunes and re-import your library.

How do i 'trash preferences'?

I tried to delete the NEW iTunes but it wouldn't let me..

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
How do i 'trash preferences'?

I tried to delete the NEW iTunes but it wouldn't let me..

Go to:

Code:
~/Library/Preferences/

(to access the library select finder and hold option while clicking Go, library will appear)

and search for
Code:
com.apple.iTunes.plist
When you find it just delete it. When you re-open iTunes it will be rebuilt and all your preferences will be default which may allow you to set them the way you like.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.