Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lord Flashheart

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
Cardiff by the Sea, CA
Hello, I just got my ipad mini and am loving it so far, but I am having a problem with my HD movies on itunes. When I sync my mini, it only shows my sd movies. I can't even see my hd movies. How do I sync my hd movies to my mini? Thanks

ProudLoz

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
I don't have an iPad Mini, but I do have an iPad 2 and I know for a fact that it can at least play 720p HD movies.

However, all my movies are ripped and converted from my Blu-ray collection and so, I have the SD, 720p HD, and 1080p HD versions of each movie for all my devices to enjoy. iTunes automatically chooses the correction version to sync for my iDevice.

For example, if I hook up my iPad 3rd Gen, it'll sync the 1080p HD version. If I hook up my iPhone 5 or iPad 2, the 720p HD version is synced. Then, anything can sync the SD version if I so choose.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
The mini is not HD, it can only play standard def

Not quite true.

In terms of screen resolution you are correct.

However the iPad Mini CAN download and play HD movies. Especially useful if you have the HDMI cable to play movies on the big screen.

If you have bought them in HD, go to the iTunes store and find them under purchased.

GreatDrok

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2006
New Zealand
I have HD versions in my iTunes library and they stream fine to my iPad mini. Where it is an SD/HD version maybe it is just preferring the SD version. I'll need to try that since I have a few from when I still had a 5G iPod. Even my original iPad 1 has no trouble playing HD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.