Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ibleedgolden

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
I just got the refurb iPhone 5 (coming from iPhone 4s) and I'm just having a really odd issue. I can't seem to see any wifi, except for one with 5GHz band. Even when I was activating it at AT&T, the CSR was stumped as to why the phone couldn't see any wifi. Somehow she got it to activate without wifi or itunes so I thought the problem was fixed, but alas I came back home and I cannot see my or anyone else's wifi.

Wondering if anyone else had issue with this. I already reset the phone, reset the network, flight mode, and turned on/off wifi. I've already googled to see if there are similar issues but I couldn't find any. Perhaps I just missed it but I'm hoping someone here has an answer.

Thanks!

dextr3k

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2012
Maybe your refurb has a broken wifi. But if it can see one network, then theoretically it should be able to see all.

Have you tried factory restoring the phone? If not I would recommend you take it back to the apple store. As you shouldnt have been given it in the first place with faulty hardware.

mirrorbox

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2010
Before you take it back maybe you should try to restore your phone to factory settings like dextr3k suggested or just switch it off and back on again. I sometimes have wifi detection issues on my iPhone4. What I do is turn on flight mode, wait of a few seconds and turn off flight mode. This does the trick for me.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
apple

I would restart the iPhone and if that does not work take it to the apple store.

ibleedgolden

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
I tried resetting to factory settings and tried turning the phone on/off. I guess my only recourse is to go to the Apple Store. Ugh.. so far away.

ibleedgolden

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Bit of an update. So I went to the Apple store and received a refurbished unit. I come home, fired up the wifi and voila! 15+ wifi networks show up. There was definitely something wrong with that other unit.

dextr3k

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2012
Glad that worked out for you.

That unit probably had a bad radio or connection. They should not have given it to you as soon as they realized it couldnt connect to wifi.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.