Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

findmyiphonelogo.jpg
Apple has updated its Find My iPhone iOS app with the ability to display driving directions to the lost device's location.

Find My iPhone is a free service built into iCloud. It allows users to lock, find, or erase a lost or stolen iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac.
If you misplace your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac, the Find My iPhone app will let you use another iOS device to find it and protect your data. Simply install this free app on another iOS device, open it, and sign in with your Apple ID. Find My iPhone will help you locate your missing device on a map, play a sound, display a message, remotely lock your device, or erase all the data on it.

If the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch you want to locate is running iOS 6, Find My iPhone also includes Lost Mode. Lost Mode locks your missing device with a 4-digit passcode and can display a contact phone number right on the lock screen. And while in Lost Mode, your device will keep track of where it has been and display its recent location history when you check in with the Find My iPhone app.??Please note that Find My iPhone must be enabled in the iCloud settings on your device for you to locate it with this app.
findmyiphonescreenshot.jpg
Find My iPhone is a free download from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Find My iPhone' App Updated With Driving Directions to Device Location

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
I understand the logic in applying this feature, but isn't there a slight risk to Apple in including it?

That is, you drive to iPhone's location following its theft/loss to discover it is in the hands of a criminal who attacks you when you knock on their door. Result - Apple receives lawsuit...

I'm not saying they shouldn't have included it, but given the amount of crazy litigation I see happening all over the World these days, I'm slightly surprised.

Personally, I think it's a good feature addition.

snorkelman

Cancelled
Oct 25, 2010
when setting off on a trip you first post your phone to the desired destination, then you just use find my iphone to guide you to there :p

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
haha!
Everyone is picking up on exactly what I was thinking.

Drive to the seedy lowlife who stole your device and possibly end up losing your wallet (or your life) in the process.

Of course, that's worse case scenario stuff.

Hopefully, it's sitting on the barstool where you left it and you'll just go back to get it.

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
YOU: "Siri, give me the directions to my stolen iPhone!"

SIRI: "Ok, here are the directions to the nearest store that sells iPhones."

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I understand the logic in applying this feature, but isn't there a slight risk to Apple in including it?

That is, you drive to iPhone's location following its theft/loss to discover it is in the hands of a criminal who attacks you when you knock on their door. Result - Apple receives lawsuit...

I'm not saying they shouldn't have included it, but given the amount of crazy litigation I see happening all over the World these days, I'm slightly surprised.

Technically speaking, Apple is almost always referring to this feature in the sense of the phone being lost/misplaced, rather than stolen. In that sense, what's the downside of going the extra step and giving you the option to see driving directions to the location where your phone is if you have lost/misplaced it?

Now, if it has actually been stolen, well, that's slightly different, but at least the marketing intent of the app is for lost/misplaced phones.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
that app is pretty useless anyway. lets say u lose your iPhone and follow the spot on your map, how can u possibly know which person stole your iphone? there are probably at least 5 people fairly close that own an iPhone as well

i lost my H&M jacket at the airport once and accused someone with the same jacket, eventually i found my jacket somewhere else again. needless to say that was embarrassing enough

Vol7ron

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2009
Derry, NH
i wonder if it updates the location in realtime...As you are driving to get it, the device suddenly moves to the next street over, then the next, etc....Real life Pac-Man game - just the roles are reversed....

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Just hope it's not in Mildura, Australia.

No no, didn't you hear the news? Apple has fixed that issue. Now you just need to hope its not in any of the hundreds (thousands?) of less well known towns that Apple maps has misplaced.

Edit: Actually, thinking about it, it's a non-issue. The lost device will report GPS coordinates and directions will use to and from GPS coordinates. So long as Apple doesn't have entirely misplaced roads, it should be fine... My understanding is its mostly location metadata that Apple has completely F'd with Apple Maps. Directions between coordinates should work fine.

teddyofindy

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2007
what if the thief steals your iphone, turns it off and then moves to another location? Will the app guide you to the new location?

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009

Rather the United States. I think there's not a single judge in, for example, Europe that would let Apple pay a fine if something happened just because someone decided to drive to a thief using Apple's software.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
what if the thief steals your iphone, turns it off and then moves to another location? Will the app guide you to the new location?

They should make another update with one click from from your computer and will take a picture through the iphone (either side of the camera) of the person and siri will say, " here's the address to this fool, go kill him."

Tknull

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2011
San Diego
There should be an in-app purchase.... "Hire a Thug".... He can meet you at the location and handle the physical requirements

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
that app is pretty useless anyway. lets say u lose your iPhone and follow the spot on your map, how can u possibly know which person stole your iphone? there are probably at least 5 people fairly close that own an iPhone as well

Send a message with an alarm to the iPhone. Assuming you are in close proximity, you should hear it. Of course this is dependent on the device being powered on.

I wish Apple would allow an app such as "IGotYa", which has been used to recover some stolen iPhones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.