Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rlu929s

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2011
As the title says my upgrade is up in 3 days and I'm wanting to upgrade from a 4 to a 5.

My biggest reason for upgrade is:

1. 3G to 4G
2. New Factor
3. Lighter
4. Light use of Siri

I could really care less about the the other features.

The reasons to upgrade are pretty big to me although since mine is a work phone I truly can only upgrade every 2 years, so I want to make it count.

Should I wait it out for the 5S or go 5?

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
the iphone 5 hits all your points of wanting/needing an upgrade. plus, the phone is only three months old, and a 5s in the near term is far from certain despite recent rumors. i say just get it now.

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
I'm thinking go for it. I'm in the same boat. I have an iPhone 4 now and I'm eligible for an upgrade on 12/29. It will be a nice bump going from the regular 4 to the 5...MUCH faster processor, better camera, bigger screen, Siri...the list goes on. I considered waiting until the "5s", but as much as we speculate we don't KNOW when that phone will be coming out. It could be June/July 2013, could be late as October...who knows. Also, I'm in the same boat where I only upgrade once every two years and I really like to make it count. Getting the 5 now SHOULD mean that my next upgrade in 2014 will bring me a phone with a new/redesigned form factor rather than just a spec bump and added features (again, just speculation).

ben824

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2012
GA
I also say go for it now. It is highly unlikely that we will see anything before next fall. Apple has had a history with iPhones of releasing a new version every 12 or more months. The only iOS device to defy the 12 month rule has been the iPad. The iPad 3 was killed off in favor of the 4 mainly due to the extension of LTE compatibility outside the U.S. slight hardware upgrade and the new dock connecter. Honestly I think apple should have just waited on the iPad to get to the current gen rather than stuffing in a 3rd gen only to kill it off a few months later for another update. But that is not iPhone related. The current iPhone 5 will be good through fall of 2013 when the 5S should be released as a simple update to the 5 with a feature or two probably reserved for it to entice consumers to buy it over the 5. I am hoping for more of a major revamp of software with iOS 7 since iOS 6 was such a flop.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
1. 3G to 4G

Do u REALLY feel you can use a speed bump? otherwise this may just be a nice-to-have.

2. New Factor

New yes, but do you REALLY need more screen real estate + watch videos?

3. Lighter

Legit.

4. Light use of Siri

IMHO, Siri in its present from is a novelty. When she can be linked to do more things then maybe it will be worth the attention.

Dunno. I look at my 4s and it's a piece of Jewelry glass and metal, a monolith in space (2010) that comes to life when commanded to. I5 all metal 2-tones back doesn't "grab" me as much. YMMV.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
1. 3G to 4G

Do u REALLY feel you can use a speed bump? otherwise this may just be a nice-to-have.

on verizon, the bump from 3g to lte is like night and day. it makes a big difference when you don't see things loading, when bodies of text on email, web pages, rss readers and twitter all just appear. it's also noticeable on youtube, where i no longer see any delay/stutter from buffering. most of the time, lte is even faster than my wifi at home. it really is my favorite feature of the iphone 5.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I vote for now also, especially if you have LTE in your area, although even 3G>fake 4G can be nice too.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
The jump from the 4 to 5 will be huge is every way, shape, and form. I would upgrade to the 5 now and skip the 5S if I were you

Megalobyte

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2007
Florida
Although I'm not anal enough to play the multiple exchange game that some do, I do think there are more issues with the 5 than other new phones Apple has released. I have dings and wear I'd not expect since it's been in a case since day 1, it has wifi issues that many people seem to share, there's a 175 page thread on the Apple forum about wifi issues, and that's just the largest of many threads. So I do think there's something up with a significant number of 5's wifi assemblies.

Still, none of these are deal breakers for me. And I don't feel the need to try to exchange, the 5s won't be too far down the road.

So I guess what I'm saying is, if you're picky about your phone being flawless in form and function, waiting for the S might be better, assuming the early problems with the 5 have been worked on by then.

I always know going in, if you get a new iPhone design, soon after release, you might have a few issues. One would hope the S version will have seen most or all of them fixed.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
As the title says my upgrade is up in 3 days and I'm wanting to upgrade from a 4 to a 5.

My biggest reason for upgrade is:

1. 3G to 4G
2. New Factor
3. Lighter
4. Light use of Siri

I could really care less about the the other features.

The reasons to upgrade are pretty big to me although since mine is a work phone I truly can only upgrade every 2 years, so I want to make it count.

Should I wait it out for the 5S or go 5?

Get the 5, going from a a 4 to a 5 is a big change, there might be some merit if you had a 4s.

miragebg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2009
I'd say stay on 4. Just in several months 5S is coming and most of the issues with 5 would be fixed plus better hardware. Then you just have to follow S => S directions of the future models.

JustSoldOut

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2011
Houston
Best Buy 5 & 4S promotion

If you are signing a new 2 year agreement and near a Best Buy, you can save $50 before 1/05/13.
It will be a long time before the iPhone 5S has any price deal...

Save $50 instantly with purchase of any iPhone 5 or iPhone 4S with 2 year activation.
Valid through 1/5/13. Limit 2 per person.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
If you are signing a new 2 year agreement and near a Best Buy, you can save $50 before 1/05/13.
It will be a long time before the iPhone 5S has any price deal...

Save $50 instantly with purchase of any iPhone 5 or iPhone 4S with 2 year activation.
Valid through 1/5/13. Limit 2 per person.

This is what I plan on doing this week. I'm on a iPhone 4. I usually skip all the "S" releases.
Going from a 4 to a 5 will be a nice upgrade for me and I could care less about the 5S. It's nothing but a rumor right now. It would be dumb for anyone to wait around for something that we don't even know "for sure" about.. For all we know the iPhone 6 will be next and be a major redesign. Rumors are rumors. That's all. If you want it or need it now, then get it now.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
If on Verizon or Sprint with lousy CDMA 3G speeds, just go for LTE because the change is significant. If on AT&T, just stay on 3G HSPA+, the speeds are already more than enough.

iPhone 5 will be a great upgrade, I don't think you can go wrong getting it now :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.