Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
A 4K television set makes little sense according to some experts in the AV field. The issue is that to take advantage of that pixel resolution over 1080 you have to be sitting so close to the screen that it makes it impractical. Take a look at the HD viewing distance charts for a 60" screen. It gets a lot worse for 4K.
I saw Lincoln this week in 4K in a theater on a standard sized screen and was I am guessing 30-40 feet away. It was not pixelated. When I saw Toy Story 1 at the El Capitan in digital projection (double width theatrical screen) it was clearly pixelated.

When I watch the 1080p TV in front of me now from about 7 feet away or so it has barely perceptible pixelation and is vastly clearer than the 480i analog TV it replaced. Although pixelation as a term probably does not apply to old fashioned TV. When I watch a non HD source on the HDTV it is "fuzzy", and someone really should train TV's to know what source (channel) it is getting and not stretch the image to fit.

Rocketman

Last edited:

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
It's the value of the integration ....

I used to think just like you, dmunz, until I played with a Google TV for a while. There are just too many cool things possible with integration that you can't do with an add-on "black box".

For example, how are you going to give voice commands (with a customized version of Siri) if it's not part of the TV itself? You'd be stuck with a clunky thing like Tivo boxes had where you have to tape an IR sender to just the right spot on your TV so the box can signal it to change channels. Of course, then you're also stuck teaching the box which exact make and model of TV you've got, so it can mimic the remote control's commands correctly (more user UN-friendliness there and potential for incompatibility).

And as another example, Google TV has a feature where you press a magnifying glass button on the remote and the screen suddenly splits down the middle, with a browser pulling up in one window with search results shown that relate to what you're currently watching. With an add-on box, such a thing isn't really possible unless the box duplicates all the TV tuner functionality (like old VCRs used to do). Then you're back to the user UN-friendliness of having to leave your TV tuned to channel 3 all the time and change your channels from the box instead.... You know, the stuff that quickly got grandma and grandpa totally confused when one of the kids messed with the settings and they couldn't get it back?

This has never made sense to me. Television sets are now so commoditized that there seems to be no point to Apple entering the market. Everything Apple would do well fits in a small black box. Why mess with the rest of the set and all the logistics that go with that kind of supply chain.

FWIW
DLM

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
for good reason to scrap it

it will be a very niche project.

500$ for a phone - yes.

500$ for a tablet - yes.

$2000 for a tv - no.

will anyone here tell me what would be so compelling to buy a $2000+ tv?

Depends on the size of the TV. Is $2k for a 46" TV expensive? Yes. For 55-65"? No.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
A new model doesn't make an old one obsolete. It annoys me no end when people think like this.

It's obsolete as soon as the company stops making updates for it.

Obsolete doesn't mean it doesn't work anymore. My first generation iPod touch still works, but it's obsolete because I can't upgrade iOS past version 3.1.3

izyreal

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
USA
blu ray is 'practically obsolete'? Lol ok.

The point was that blu ray is not the tech of the future. "The cloud" is the way people will obtain their content in the future... Yes, even the ultra HD content. Blu ray is will hang on for a good number of years, but it will be a marginal tech at best in near future.

twigman08

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
Apple isn't completely stupid. They do make mistakes, just like every company, but they aren't completely stupid. They won't make the same mistake of almost destroying themselves. They would had done that by now.

If Apple feels like their is a market , and they can get the content providers onboard then they have a hit. Just talking to a lot of my family members asking if they'd be interested in an Apple TV set with maybe some kind of streaming capabilities and other things, each and every one of them said "I'd be very interested in what Apple could put out and would look at replacing my current device with an Apple TV Set." Now I know this is not a sample that is even remotely large enough to demonstrate a market but I really do believe their are more people than you think that would be interested in something like this, if done properly.

Now if it is just a TV Set with the Apple logo then it won't be a hit. Though I really do not think Apple is that stupid. They will want to create a different kind of TV Market and if they get a lot of people onboard they could do it.

Though Content Providers are just as greedy as Apple. I don't think they will get enough onboard.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Another worthless article. Who thinks that Apple isn't spending millions of their R&D dollars on testing prototypes of most everything there is out there? Testing TVs is so much a no brainer it's not worthy of posting. Let's hear about how they're coming along with their liquid metal batteries or wristwatch sized (Dick Tracy) iPhone.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
Unless Apple has content providers under its wing this TV will end up as a glorified iMac with the users left to suck content of the internet, which we do anyway.

iTunes wouldn't be what it is if they had not talked the record companies into 99cents/song deal.

Good luck Apple! And nice to know Sharp supplying the displays! :)

twigman08

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
The point was that blu ray is not the tech of the future. "The cloud" is the way people will obtain their content in the future... Yes, even the ultra HD content. Blu ray is will hang on for a good number of years, but it will be a marginal tech at best in near future.

You can say the same exact thing about every single tech product. That is the way technology is. Something else will come a long and make something else obsolete. Their is absolutely nothing new there.

Just like their will be something that comes around and makes 4k resolution obsolete in the future.

izyreal

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
USA
500$ for a phone - yes.

500$ for a tablet - yes.

$2000 for a tv - no.

will anyone here tell me what would be so compelling to buy a $2000+ tv?

You are only looking at the TV with the functions that it offers today. An apple TV will most likely be a TV/game system/computer. The Apple TV will be the way that you access all your media when at home, and your iPad/iPod/iPhone will be mostly used when you are away from home. My prediction: not only will you pay the $2000-$2500 for the Apple TV, you will upgrade to the newest system every 2-4 years. :cool: ;) :D

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Apple should just devote their time and resources to improve their current products and services than step into an entirely new market with hundreds of competitors.

If Apple can spend resources to start a new Television set project, I'd rather they spend some on salvaging more critical issues at hand such as the problematic, error-filled and almost life-threatening Maps application. Why start on a new project when current ones like this aren't completely completed yet?

Do you really want your "life-threatening" Maps app fixed by people whose core competence is Television? Remind me not to accept a ride from you!

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
It's obsolete as soon as the company stops making updates for it.

Obsolete doesn't mean it doesn't work anymore. My first generation iPod touch still works, but it's obsolete because I can't upgrade iOS past version 3.1.3

According to the dictionary, obsolete primarily means it's no longer useable or in use. If it still works and you can use it for its original intended purpose, it's not obsolete. Product upgrades to not make the older models obsolete unless they are no longer useable.

izyreal

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
USA
You can say the same exact thing about every single tech product. That is the way technology is. Something else will come a long and make something else obsolete. Their is absolutely nothing new there.

Just like their will be something that comes around and makes 4k resolution obsolete in the future.

You are making my point! :eek: It doesn't make sense for Apple to inovate a dying technology. 4k resolution delivered from the cloud wirelessly to an Apple TV is the future. At this point, that technology does not exist, thus if Apple creates it, then that is inovation.

The light at the end of the blu ray tunnel is pretty bright. :D

thisisdallas

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
Cupertino, CA
In my opinion, for this TV takeover to be a complete success, they should have two different iTV products. A box and a full TV. If someone is in the market for a new TV, they can simply get the iTV and have everything working. If someone just bought a new massive 1080p tv, regardless of how great the iTV is, they probably won't want to pay. Why not sell a small AppleTV-esque box to those consumers to hook up to their TV to enjoy the same experience? Of course the benefit of having the big apple produced TV would be the great design and some other junk that i'll let apple worry about

Just my thoughts on the whole topic!

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
I have an Apple TV I don’t use. I have an LG Smart TV that with Netfix is Awesome. All other games and apps suck. It has a Wii mote style controller (for games) and a regular controller.

Edit: The reason I don’t use the ATV2 is because it’s kind of limited and I don’t rent digital content. And the typing of username and PW really sucks. I have a BT keyboard for my iPad. Maybe I can get it to connect to the ATV if that article is true.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Any Apple TV ambitions are dead in the water until they get the content providers on board.

And they are likely working on that. If they are trying to quality and price in their offerings, especially TV, to position the iTunes Store as an alternative to cable then they will have to wait until current contracts are up.

So it is possible that they are working on this side of the game, which might not come about until late 2013 or later AND testing a possible TV/display revamp. and both will be released together.

Imagine that Fall event. Tim brings up Eddy to talk about iTunes and he mentions sales, geographic growth. Then goes into new talk about even better quality files with better video, audio, subtitles, new iTunes Extras features that now work on iOS devices including the Apple TV. Hopefully also that all video is now at least 720p and an iTunes plus style upgrade for previous SD purchases etc.

Then we go into the new Apple TV set top box with more storage etc. and then the awesome 'one more thing' of this new display that has the refresh etc to work as a TV. And not just any TV. It's low reflection, IPS, 4k ready and works with passive 3d tech (surprise Disney/Pixar 3d films will be on the store that afternoon). Folks would freak. And if Apple is on board with supporting digital downloads of passive 3d, the war between styles could end quick.

THAT could be how Apple changes television and perhaps without making an actual television set as we know it, but rather a display that can also be a TV.

----------

Maybe it'll be released in conjunction with the Angry Birds movie!

Angry Birds v Nom Nom

The battle begins. (Its a trilogy of course)

Last edited:

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
This has never made sense to me. Television sets are now so commoditized that there seems to be no point to Apple entering the market. Everything Apple would do well fits in a small black box. Why mess with the rest of the set and all the logistics that go with that kind of supply chain.

FWIW
DLM

Supply chain means something different than how you use it (unless you are speaking of apple and its base as your suppliers, which would be odd.)

Apples logistics and supply model wouldn't really be any different than as for a Thunderbolt Display, and their funds tied up would probably be similar, or less, considering both size and units held available in stores..

I rather was amazed that my Thunderbolt Display was delivered in 5 days from the factory in china to my door here in Switzerland.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Unless Apple has content providers under its wing this TV will end up as a glorified iMac with the users left to suck content of the internet, which we do anyway.

iTunes wouldn't be what it is if they had not talked the record companies into 99cents/song deal.

Good luck Apple! And nice to know Sharp supplying the displays! :)

I agree with every single thing you say, but disagree with your tone.

Like iMac, Apple TV will be a cinch to set up: "there is no step 3". Also, you will be able to access all of the functions via a single remote (probably an app on your phone or pad). For most, there won't be a tangle of cables coming out the back into the various add-ons (game console, disc player, AppleTV hockey puck).

Apple is talking to content providers, yes.

Sharp displays are fine. Give Sharp the credit for manufacturing the display. Give Apple the credit for putting it into a stylish package that's easy to use. Consider the exact same Sharp display in an Apple TV vs. a regular TV with a cable box, Blu-Ray player, and PlayStation attached, that you can't get to work because your brother-in-law "did something" with the cables in back and screwed up your carefully-configured system, and even he doesn't remember what he did with the PlayStation controller.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
...pony up $35 billion :) for the purchase of DirecTV or Dish, which gives them VOILA, access to the entire world with content and the pipes. Watch this area.. its going to happen

This is the holy grail, content accessible anywhere in real time, eventually shown on super high res TVs and controlled with modern set-top boxes.

Downloads, apps, yelling instructions at the screen...no way, Jose.

Apple could also go the extra step and market a fabulous, totally modular home theater system, beautiful, uncluttered and scaleable for room size and budget.

Most people do not want to watch programs only on small devices and like tv programming generally.

High rez always looks better than lo rez, no matter what anyone says or viewing distance charts indicate.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
I love that TV makers are trying to beat Apple to the punch with shoddy UI's, wonky voice control and terrible "app" support.

Apple will do something cool and everyone will copy and say it was obvious...what isn't obvious when someone does it first?

Agreed. My Samsung "Smart" TV is pretty dumb. Lots of glitches, no app support, terrible and confusing UI. At least the picture is good.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012

FWIW
DLM

I have an Apple TV I don’t use. I have an LG Smart TV that with Netfix is Awesome. All other games and apps suck. It has a Wii mote style controller (for games) and a regular controller.

Edit: The reason I don’t use the ATV2 is because it’s kind of limited and I don’t rent digital content. And the typing of username and PW really sucks. I have a BT keyboard for my iPad. Maybe I can get it to connect to the ATV if that article is true.

Install the remote app on your iPad or iPhone, them use your bt kbd to type into the field on the iOS device and maybe it will be demoted to ATV search field. This is just an idea of mine right now but I didn't test it yet.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Apple TV in 5 easy steps:

1. Buy Dish/Netflix, integrate w/iTunes store
2. App Store w/iOS Games
3. iPhone/iPad configurable game controller app
4. Siri via your iPad/iPhone
5. $1000 price tag

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.