Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alfistas

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2012
Helios Prime
Because Apple is too busy suing for rounded corners and refusing to pay for real patents it infringes on.

It might seem silly now but Samsung's aggressive tactics will have a negative effect on Apple's image in the long run. If things keep going like this then Apple users will be seen as half-wit fashionanistas with too much money to spend. Some people already think that btw...

Wuiffi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011
The irony is, that they show the S3 with Navigon, an app that is available on both, android AND ios. Only thing is that it costs about 80 bucks.
So it's not a Samsung mapping solution, or the build in Google maps, it's third party .... If Samsung would make maps, it would look like the Apple Version, only every small road would be as big as a highway - If you know what I mean ;)

mtliveson

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2012
Boston, MA
Shouldn't they be advertising Google Maps instead of Navigon, given that Navigon is a paid app that doesn't ship with the phone and is available on both iPhone and Android?

I guess they cared more about the check from Garmin than about having an ad that makes sense.

Since when is Navigation a paid app? It's been part of the Maps on Android since gingerbread (maybe ever before that).

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
And this is why I loathe Samsung.

It puts Apple in a bad position. What is Apple supposed to do? Retaliate and attack Samsung with a TV ad using a white back drop and dueling iPad keyboards? That's not Apple's style. How do they defend themselves here?

These marketing ploys by Samsung MUST get under Apple's skin but they have no way to return the favor.

If I were Apple I would start making Ads similar to the Mac vs PC ads but do it in a way exposing how Samsung steals tech and ideas.

They're just corny and use cheap tactics to sell their product. I don't like it... never have.

The Mac vs PC ads by Apple were horrible, racially stereotyped users, and cheesy. This ad by Samsung is very clever and subtle by comparison.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
Some of the response on this thread are so hilarious, but it's also sad because I know these people are serious.

Why wouldn't Samsung take advantage of the situation? They're a business, and a very successful one at that. Some people act like Samsung should help Apple out because of their Maps woes. Get real! Apple have done the same thing before.

But of course, when Apple thrashes the competition in their keynotes, people here cheer them on. Talk about double standards.

macsmurf

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
On Monday, Apple repaired the Mildura mapping error, and it was discovered that the source information that Apple used from the Australian Gazeteer was inaccurate, which is what led to the issue.

As pointed out numerous times in the other thread the source material in the Australian Gazetteer is correct. Try it yourself: http://www.ga.gov.au/place-names/

Mildura Rural City is marked DI (Agricultural area, County, District, Local government area, Parish, Region) which is correct. For the second time: Please edit you articles to reflect that.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
not a nice thing to do but lets face it. Majority of Samsung users are Apple haters and arrogance goes hand in hand when it comes to Apple hate. I decent person would look down on this but Samsung know their true customers are more of the arrogant type. (no offence to anyone btw) Just seems that way from my observations over the years.

shikari89

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2010
Oregon
Hah, the one and only time I tried using the GPS on my s3, it could not find the GPS. So glad to be back on my iPhone. Better to have some idea of where I'm going than none at all.

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
Because Apple is too busy suing for rounded corners and refusing to pay for real patents it infringes on.

Yes... Apple, the most sued entity in the world, should unilaterally disarm.
Particularly since the company that has for 5 years manufactured the components for its most successful product then proceeded to simply use those parts and IP to build their own investment-free products.

Makes perfect sense to me.

johncrab

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
There is heated competition and then there is just childish crap. Samsung is behaving like a spoiled two year old brat and I am glad Apple is moving components production away from that company. I was stunned that they were building for Apple anyway. I've never owned a Samsung product that was worth taking out of the box.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
As pointed out numerous times in the other thread the source material in the Australian Gazetteer is correct. Try it yourself: http://www.ga.gov.au/place-names/

Mildura Rural City is marked DI (Agricultural area, County, District, Local government area, Parish, Region) which is correct. For the second time: Please edit you articles to reflect that.

Don't worry, MacRumors doesn't do any journalistic fact checking or even read the source material.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
Wow, so they can't sell a product based on its own merits? Makes sense, it's Samsung. Bought one of their TV's a few years ago, and it was junk. Never again...

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
not a nice thing to do but lets face it. Majority of Samsung users are Apple haters and arrogance goes hand in hand when it comes to Apple hate. I decent person would look down on this but Samsung know their true customers are more of the arrogant type. (no offence to anyone btw) Just seems that way from my observations over the years.

Very ignorant comment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.