Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i.mac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2007
Exactly. This is far and away the most embarrassing thing to ever have happened to Apple since Scully.

I really think Steve would have released Apple maps ASAP just like Tim did. But how would he react to this aftermath??

why is it embarrasing?

every one should thank apple every day. else we would not have maps at all and a phone with 147.3 keys in it with 2000+ key combinations.

i see google maps and say 'thank you apple for showing how is done to every one'. where is the shame?

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
I can't believe Apple allowed this on the store. It is clearly a better product than Apple Maps. It's one thing to admit you screwed up, but to allow your direct competitor free reign on your platform?
Why is it so hard to believe or necessary to think of deep reasons? Apple has offered navigation apps for a long time, free and paid, with streaming and downloadable maps. It allows Netflix that compete with its movie sales and Kindle app that competes with its ebook sales, not to mention tons of podcast, online radio and online streaming music apps. The more apps, the stronger the platform. Simple as that...

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
why is it embarrasing?

every one should thank apple every day. else we would not have maps at all and a phone with 147.3 keys in it with 2000+ key combinations.

i see google maps and say 'thank you apple for showing how is done to every one'. where is the shame?

You mean people should thank apple for something a lot of companies were doing at the time?

Did you actually try other products at that time or are you just repeating what others say?

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
Does anyone else feel like this is a really bad sign? Google handles the maps on the iPhone while being their main competition in the mobile market, Apple drops Google's map and integrates their own and then fails in the effort, Google makes a better version of a map app than even on their own platform and everyone on the iPhone jumps ship.

This just seems like a very horrible thing for Apple.
Perception is reality in this world, but I only had Apple Maps fail in search only once, when I was trying to locate movie theaters. The other times it worked fine. I did not see any difference in actual street maps. On two occasions the driving directions on Apple maps were better (in one case far better) than Google's. Hence, I'd question your "fail" and "everybody jumping" characterizations.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Does anyone else feel like this is a really bad sign? Google handles the maps on the iPhone while being their main competition in the mobile market, Apple drops Google's map and integrates their own and then fails in the effort, Google makes a better version of a map app than even on their own platform and everyone on the iPhone jumps ship.

This just seems like a very horrible thing for Apple.

Its good for us, the consumers.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
What an awkward turn of events for Samsung. So do they now have to remove that anti-iPhone ad talking down about iOS Maps in Australia now? :rolleyes:

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
I honestly don't care. I live in So Cal and not once, have I ever had an issues with Apple Maps.

I'm not saying it's perfect. I'm just saying it's perfect for me. ;)

agentjonny

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2011
canada
useless for me. here's the message i get when trying to get transit directions here in canada: "Public transit information not available in this region." sorry guys, apple version smokes this.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
This Google Maps app ALONE is worth the price of admission of the iPhone 5.

Apple should really be kicking back some of the profits they make off iOS now back to Google.

If Google acted like Apple, they would have kept Google Maps exclusive to Android. Instead, they allowed iOS users have it for FREE.

Google supports customer choice whereas Apple believes in creating a monopoly.

Google believes in offering the best user experience despite jeopardizing potential revenues whereas Apple believes in protecting potential revenues despite jeopardizing the user experience.

Bravo Google! Thanks for making our iPhones complete again. :)

Well, they data mine you. BUT okay please data mine me. I'd rather have a free Google Map app that data mines me instead of only having Apple Maps, or Google Maps web app. :(

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
No one should be 100% committed to any corporation. Yes, I love Apple, but I integrate a variety of different products and services from all different tech companies into my life depending on what I like best. I've been using Google maps for such a long time, I don't see any reason why I'd abandon it just because Apple came out with a map application of their own...

I like Windows OS for desktops/laptops and the applications they come with, I like Google internet services (Gmail, Chrome, Google Search, YouTube), love Samsung's smart TVs, and I love Apple's mobile/tablet hardware/iOS... you should integrate different products and services into your life as opposed to blindly following one company, it's unreasonable.

I think Apple should have just simply acknowledged that Google obviously has the maps/satellite/search feature to their advantage -- each large tech company has their advantages and should be able to accept that. Google should acknowledge that Facebook has the advantage in social networking, etc.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
What about traffic? Waze and apple maps warn you about traffic via crowdsourcing (waze is more successful in this endeavor) but does google maps? What about turning the phone on when driving at night and a turn is coming up, rather than leaving it on for the whole drive? Does it track the vehicle's movement as smoothly and accuratly as apple maps?

The app has traffic overlaid on the Map... just swipe two fingers to the left.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
If Google acted like Apple, they would have kept Google Maps exclusive to Android. Instead, they allowed iOS users have it for FREE.

Google believes in offering the best user experience despite jeopardizing potential revenues whereas Apple believes in protecting potential revenues despite jeopardizing the user experience.

I don't think you really understand Google's business model. Google actually doesn't make much money from Android directly. Google is mainly an advertising company. The more people they have using their products, the more they can monetize their products and monetize YOU.

To wit, did you notice that they encourage you to "sign in" to your Google account in Maps? That's not really for your benefit, it's for theirs. By signing in, they can track EVERY PLACE YOU GO and sync that up with your online profile where they know EVERY PLACE YOU GO. This is what Google is after. Having their apps on the most devices possible is their priority.

i.mac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2007
Why is it so hard to believe or necessary to think of deep reasons? Apple has offered navigation apps for a long time, free and paid, with streaming and downloadable maps. It allows Netflix that compete with its movie sales and Kindle app that competes with its ebook sales, not to mention tons of podcast, online radio and online streaming music apps. The more apps, the stronger the platform. Simple as that...

be carefull, your statement is well written.

every one wants competition for apple, and when they get it, those folks shout 'embarrasing for apple'.

google was holding apple hostage with an archaic maps app that google refused to update. apple called their bluff, and google caughs up their trumping card. if any thing, apple forced google's hand, and apple products are now better. apple wins, the consumer wins, google lost their lofty place in the ios echosystem. who wins the most?

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
You mean people should thank apple for something a lot of companies were doing at the time?

Did you actually try other products at that time or are you just repeating what others say?

There was nothing like the iPhone on the market. I don't need to repeat what others say for what I saw just 5 years ago.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I can't believe Apple allowed this on the store. It is clearly a better product than Apple Maps. It's one thing to admit you screwed up, but to allow your direct competitor free reign on your platform?

The Google+ app pleasantly surprised me when it was released, so I fully expect the new Google Maps app to be in the same calibre.

Apple approved the Google Maps app because they know they screwed up and this is their way of being reasonable. Eventually, they will have competitive offerings and even tighter integration into the OS than Google can match, so many users will remain with or switch back to Apple's Maps. I know I will, because in my limited use of their app, it's been just fine.

Competition is healthy, and I'm glad Apple is allowing this app. They know it's a long-term investment, so their Maps platform will do just fine, especially if they build a native Mac app for it, too.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
What an awkward turn of events for Samsung. So do they now have to remove that anti-iPhone ad talking down about iOS Maps in Australia now? :rolleyes:

Who cares, the damage is done. Fandroids will still say there's no maps on the iPhone. Even if there is an app for that. Just like some people are still saying the iPhone doesn't have multitasking, folders, wallpapers. I recall what I heard from an Android promoter guy: iPhone can't do anything. It's restricted!

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003

Netflix, Amazon (Kindle), mail apps, camera apps...and tons of maps and navigation apps have been available in the App Store for years. Why would Google (which already has a ton of apps available) be any different?

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
have you seen a blackberry? every phone manufacturer had that in mind for a phone and mobile os.
The keyboard team: Nokia E series, Blackberry

There were phones that use only touchscreens back in the time but most were resistive touchscreens i.e. the "soft" touchscreens that require a stylus to use with.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Free reign? That's not just hyperbole, you are right on. Apple just allowed Google to release one of the most important apps for its phone, in competition with its own 1st party app...

...AND they let Google release API so that all of Apple devs can include google maps in their apps instead of Apple maps.

WTF? That's full on panic mode from apple. Absolutely embarrassing. *****.

Or Apple is worried that people will jump to Android the next time around. But by allowing Google Maps... it keeps people happy and keeps them using an Apple phone.

Remember... Apple is in the business of selling $600 phones...

Apple gets ZERO dollars if someone buys an Android phone instead...

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
This Google Maps app ALONE is worth the price of admission of the iPhone 5.

Apple should really be kicking back some of the profits they make off iOS now back to Google.

Bravo Google! Thanks for making our iPhones complete again. :)

You obviously have no clue what Google's business model is.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Who cares, the damage is done. Fandroids will still say there's no maps on the iPhone. Even if there is an app for that. Just like some people are still saying the iPhone doesn't have multitasking, folders, wallpapers. I recall what I heard from an Android promoter guy: iPhone can't do anything. It's restricted!

Well the problem was that for some people...they literally had no functional Apple Map.

Basically Apple screwed up, the competition took advantage of it, and Apple (hopefully) learned to not rush a release hence they fired Forstall and approved Google Maps.

Although iPhone's multitasking, folders, and wallpapers are pretty bad... Multitasking good use some work, folders could be bigger, and wallpapers are pretty bland. He's partially true.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Netflix, Amazon (Kindle), mail apps, camera apps...and tons of maps and navigation apps have been available in the App Store for years. Why would Google (which already has a ton of apps available) be any different?

Many people think that Apple is still like what it was in 2008... specifically banning apps due to it "duplicating the core functions of iPhone". This has not been the case since the App Store Review Guideline was released.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Some negative feedback. iPhone 3GS, so the experience may be different on newer phones, not sure.

Entered into a turn-by-turn navigation session, not sure how to get out. hahaha.. nothing works to exit back to a menu screen.

EDIT: Figured it out, but wasn't very intuitive at first. Clicking the X at the bottom of the screen did what I wanted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.