Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crovali

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
My BTO 27" iMac came today. This is my first Apple computer and I'm loving everything about it. I inspected the screen and it looks perfect; no yellowing, no dead pixels. This is one problem though... there's a black dot on the front of the computer to the left of the apple logo. I cant stand it. Every time I look at my computer I see this dot staring back at me. Taunting me. Should I bring it in to an apple store and swap it out for a new model?
IMG_1411.jpg

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
My BTO 27" iMac came today. This is my first Apple computer and I'm loving everything about it. I inspected the screen and it looks perfect; no yellowing, no dead pixels. This is one problem though... there's a black dot on the front of the computer to the left of the apple logo. I cant stand it. Every time I look at my computer I see this dot staring back at me. Taunting me. Should I bring it in to an apple store and swap it out for a new model?

Clearly a stuck pixel for the 21st Century.

Perhaps a silly question, but is it actually a defect, or just a piece of gunk that can be scraped off?

crovali

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
Clearly a stuck pixel for the 21st Century.

Perhaps a silly question, but is it actually a defect, or just a piece of gunk that can be scraped off?

It is a defect. It cannot be cleaned off. It's permanent.

----------

here is another pic
IMG_1415.jpg

scruby

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2012
Netherlands
Most deff swap it for a new one. You paid big cash for this product so expect it to be 100% ok. Apple will be happy to swap anyways

FuriousGreg

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2011
I said the same thing in another post but call it in and you'll likely get an Apple store credit. The other poster got $150. It's very unlikely that whatever caused the dot will effect your machine (who knows though?) but Apple needs to know of these defects so they can see if it's an aberration or endemic and track down the factory/team responsable and fix the problem.

Arman

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2008
SoCal
Oh god. I've heard about this black dot. Be careful. Most likely a fried flux capaciter transistor on the inside. U probably won't have any problems until it runs past it's warranty.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I said the same thing in another post but call it in and you'll likely get an Apple store credit. The other poster got $150. It's very unlikely that whatever caused the dot will effect your machine (who knows though?) but Apple needs to know of these defects so they can see if it's an aberration or endemic and track down the factory/team responsable and fix the problem.

That was for an etching issue, not a black ... thing.

I agree, I'd take it back. Otherwise you'd have to stare at that thing for years.

iohass

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2012
Canada
only drawback of taking it back is that this machine is perfect and byswapping it, you are risking receiving one with a defect

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
If I'm paying 2.7k for a computer I demand perfection!

I agree. I bet if you explain your situation to Apple, they'll ship out a new one and work it where you'll have to give the old one to the delivery person before you receive the new one. Essentially you're looking at minimal downtime. Hope this situation works out for you.

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
I would say don't swap it. It's VERY tiny, and shows Apple's quality standards if that's what you notice. But, I'm not you - to me, it's not functional, it's not major, and it's not in the screen itself.

crovali

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
I would say don't swap it. It's VERY tiny, and shows Apple's quality standards if that's what you notice. But, I'm not you - to me, it's not functional, it's not major, and it's not in the screen itself.

If the dot was off to the side somewhere or on the back I wouldn't mind but this is dead center. It's very noticeable. I'll call apple up and see what we can work out.

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
Use one of the Apple stickers included in the box to cover it up. Really, the people considering taking back a $2-3k machine because of a cosmetic blemish 1mm in size. First world problems I guess. Lets see how these people deal with the US government turning us into a third world country!

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
Use one of the Apple stickers included in the box to cover it up. Really, the people considering taking back a $2-3k machine because of a cosmetic blemish 1mm in size. First world problems I guess. Lets see how these people deal with the US government turning us into a third world country!

It is new. Would you say the something about a new Honda or Toyota you are picking up at the dealership? "I don't mind that dent and scratch. It is only a $25k car after all. First world problems."

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
It is new. Would you say the something about a new Honda or Toyota you are picking up at the dealership? "I don't mind that dent and scratch. It is only a $25k car after all. First world problems."

Not really the same thing. At the dealership, it's your responsibility to look over the car you are buying. Hopefully take a test drive in it. Make sure it is to your satisfaction. With this computer, if mine shows up that way, I might report it, as others have suggested, so that Apple can track quality control issues. However, for a blemish that small, no, I wouldn't ask for, or accept a discount. I feel the same way about the minor scratch that was posted earlier. It was on the back, where it would likely rarely, if ever be seen. It has no impact on the function of the computer.

Besides, with cars, you are supposed to haggle over the price. Last I heard, only Saturns, now discontinued, had a no haggle price structure. For a car with a minor dent, I'd have them knock of a grand. After all, it's the car buyer's job to get as close to invoice pricing as possible, and the salesman's job to screw you as much as they can while still getting you to buy the car.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.