Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ipad_mini_hand-500x614.jpg
While critics loved the iPad mini, the biggest complaint concerned the device's screen, which does not have a Retina resolution like Apple's larger iPad.

Retina seems like a logical update for Apple's second generation iPad mini, and a report from Digitimes today says that Apple is indeed planning to increase the resolution of its next iPad mini.
Apple's next-generation iPad mini will focus mostly on enhancing the device's display resolution, according to Taiwan-based backlighting industry sources.

The sources have yet to specify whether the device will use Apple's Retina Display technology to enhanced resolution, but market observers said it is highly likely based on the development of past Apple products such as the iPhone and 9.7-inch iPad series.
Adding a Retina display to a device as thin as the iPad mini could be a tricky prospect, possibly requiring a large battery and a more robust processor, as it did when Apple introduced the Retina display to the full-sized iPad. This restriction has led notable technology site AnandTech to predict that the next iPad mini won't come with a Retina display, as stated in the site's iPad mini review.

Digitimes adds that the next generation 9.7-inch iPad will be lighter due to new LED light bar technology that will incorporate just one light bar instead of the two that are currently in the third and fourth generation iPads. While Digitimes has had a mixed record in the past, it's clear that they do have sources in Apple's supply chain.

Article Link: Next iPad Mini to Have Retina Display?

saud0488

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
A lack of one still hasn't bothered me. If anything it's better w/o one since it doesn't drain a gigantic battery which would take an eternity to charge. A la iPad 3/4

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Even though its DigitTimes...

How could the iPad mini not have a retina display? Its literally the only it needs to become an amazing device.

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
It almost seems as a given at this point. Although having owned an iPad Mini for a few days, the screen doesn't bother at all. I cranked up the brightness and the screen looks quite fine to me, granted not anything to write home about

pk7

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2011
I'm all for a Retina mini but wouldn't that considerably cannibalize sales of the 9.7" iPad? It's one of it's major selling points.

canucksfan88

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
apple marketing and businesses strategy at its finest.

(revision A) introduce a "revolutionary" new iPad mini and let people rave about it while omitting a screen that should have been standard

(revision B) announce a beautiful and even better than before iPad mini with a gorgeous retina high resolution display that is genius engineering ...which should have been on revA

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
apple marketing and businesses strategy at its finest.

(revision A) introduce a "revolutionary" new iPad mini and let people rave about it while omitting a screen that should have been standard

(revision B) announce a beautiful and even better than before iPad mini with a gorgeous retina high resolution display that is genius engineering ...which should have been on revA

And the same people who are saying 'it's not that bad, I don't even notice it' will suddenly rave about how 'amazing' the Retina version is.

Just like they a lot of folks around here mocked the idea of a smaller tablet and now say 'it's the perfect size'.....

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
And the same people who are saying 'it's not that bad, I don't even notice it' will suddenly rave about how 'amazing' the Retina version is.

Just like they a lot of folks around here mocked the idea of a smaller tablet and now say 'it's the perfect size'.....

HAHAHAHA

Someone with time to kill should search those quotes up. So many saying how there was no point to a mini and not they are raving about them.

Same thing will be said when the iphone gets a wider screen.

fdv

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
While it's obvious that everybody wants this to happen, and I'm sure it will happen eventually, I tend to agree with Anandtech. I think if it were feesable to add a retina display within the next year, Apple would have just done it with the original iPad Mini. I expect it will take a couple of years to develop a high res display for the Mini without compromising on its excellent weight and thickness.

Maybe I'm being naive, and it's possible to make one now, and Apple just released a low-res version first so people would shell out more money on the next one, but part of me still likes to think that Apple like making good products, and they would have done it already if it was possible.

Lazlow

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2007
I honestly don't notice the lack of the retina display when I use my friend's mini. Even though it's only 1024 x 768, it's still at a higher PPI than the iPad 2, so it's still sharp albeit not quite up to Apple's retina standards, as your eyes can technically discern the individual pixels when holding it an average distance away from your face.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.