Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
iTunes/iPhoto/etc should all have NAS support. I really want to store my library on a remote drive instead of on my computer.

Nothing is stopping you from putting your iTunes library on a NAS; just copy the library over there and select it by holding down option when you start iTunes and navigating to the library.

The only caveat is that only one machine can use the library at a time, and that it's not cross-platform (you can't create a library on Windows, then open it up on a Mac)

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
Nothing is stopping you from putting your iTunes library on a NAS; just copy the library over there and select it by holding down option when you start iTunes and navigating to the library.

Technically it's not supported... and I really don't want to corrupt my iTunes library ;)

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Searching _is_ broken. Even if it finds "Africa" and "Toto", it won't find "Toto Africa" (if you want to filter out other "Africa"s). Please go to the feedback page and report any problems you find.

Either press Enter after starting your search or turn off Search Entire Library.

iTunes/iPhoto/etc should all have NAS support. I really want to store my library on a remote drive instead of on my computer.

This works fine. I had my library on a NAS for years with nary a hiccup - in fact it was quite a bit faster than the USB drive that it now lives on.

UnfetteredMind

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
I think I know what you are talking about. I saw this same issue, it turned out the movies were being added with the "home video" attribute. Switch it to "Movie" and you will see it. To switch the attribute, I had to switch the itunes view to list to see the movie in iTunes. Once I saw the movie I opened its properties found the tab with "Home Video" in a drop down menu.

Ah, interesting. I believe I experienced this and will have to check it. Oddly, I believe they still listed fine on the AppleTV. Thanks for the heads up!

EDIT: Yep, appears I need to fix all my movies :)

Last edited:

electric

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Coverflow yea or nay

Who really cares if someone likes it or not?

If you like it, groovy. if not? far out. I think the real issue is elitism, on the part of users saying "why would you miss it, it sucks" or "I love it, Apple needs to put it back" and of course for apple not giving users a choice.... again.

I would use Android if it didn't feel like something that someone made in their backyard.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
Not shocked but it's good they fixed any problems quickly, now I wonder which version of iTunes is coming on the new iMac's shipping now?

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
We miss the 'progress bar' in the mini player; wish they would put that back!

This is pretty much my main beef with it11.

I would also like to be able to add songs with the tried and true drag and drop method. it11 doesn't seem to allow that. Maybe it's slower but it still does?

The key things I'd like to see return to 11:

1. song info/progress bar in the mini player.

2. use of same button to max/min the window/player

3. drag and drop to add songs

4. return radio to the sidebar (not sure why it's on top now?)

5. return default search function which provides song/track info, instead of cover art and a list of songs.

The changes in 11 seem counter-intuitive and are quite perplexing.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia

The only caveat is that only one machine can use the library at a time, and that it's not cross-platform (you can't create a library on Windows, then open it up on a Mac)

Yeah I really wish there was a solution to this as many people would love to have all their music and such in one location for the whole family to access.

Yes I know you can share your library but that relies on you computer being on all the time.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
This is pretty much my main beef with it11.

I would also like to be able to add songs with the tried and true drag and drop method. it11 doesn't seem to allow that. Maybe it's slower but it still does?

The key things I'd like to see return to 11:

1. song info/progress bar in the mini player.

2. use of same button to max/min the window/player

3. drag and drop to add songs

4. return radio to the sidebar (not sure why it's on top now?)

5. return default search function which provides song/track info, instead of cover art and a list of songs.

The changes in 11 seem counter-intuitive and are quite perplexing.

Good to see, we're not the only ones who miss some features from 10.7, especially ##s 1, 2 and 4 on your list.

chasemac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2005
In a house.
I miss the volume slider in mini player big time. Miss time transport too. Hey, I even miss the graphic EQ display option in mini player. Wish Apple would add these back.

joshsand66

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2009
new movies added

Unfortunately does not fix the problem with new movies added.
They do not show up in UNWATCHED tab at all. End up in HOME MOVIES tab, Previous ver used to show them in UNWATCHED, where they should be.

Ichabod.

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2012
Great, It looks like they fixed the auto-complete kotoeri bug in iTunes. (kana input specifically)

(Whenever typing an artist/album/genre/etc. itunes would autocomplete the name based on the first letter typed, and wouldn't wait for you to finish the character/etc.)

Maybe it doesn't get noticed enough for them to mention it in the notes, but it's nice to see they fixed it so quickly.

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
Apple should implement also the RESUME playback. Just listen a long playlist. Quit iTunes or reboot the Mac. Open iTunes again and it resumes playback from the last played song.

thewiccaman

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2008
East Midlands, UK
This also fixed an issue where attached (but not synched) iPods/iPhones could not be searched. So when I go into work with my iPhone that I don't have synched with my work computer, I can search my music on my device again without scrolling through the list of music.

This was the single-most annoying issue I had with the v11 upgrade. I have a lot of music on my 32GB 4S and bringing back the ability to search the device has made me *almost* like v11 now :)

luigi408

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2008
What about Home Sharing issues? I cannot connect to Home Sharing since iTunes 11 at all. Many people already reported that on the Apple Boards. :mad:

porky

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2003
BELGIUM
The new itunes, the last version of iPhoto, the app store, i always like the version before better. I'm getting old i think ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.