Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Petit-Ti

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2012
Hi All

Could any one please point me in the right direction. I need to do monthly back-ups but i just discovered that our copy of CCC has expired.

Could anyone please tell me if there is free/alternative software which i can use to back up around 12TB of Data.

Thank you in advance.
Petit-Ti

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
See if you can find the older version of CCC which was donationware.

For the most part most backup apps are commercial applications that will require a payment. Apple has included Time Machine in OSX but I suspect backing up so much storage TM may not be the most efficient.

Since you have so much data and experience with CCC I recommend purchasing that app

switon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
RE: rsync...

Hi,

Don't get me wrong, I think CCC is a great app, especially as it works so well and provides bootable backup clones...

...but if you want a free alternative you might look into the terminal command "rsync". In fact, I believe CCC uses the rsync tool to accomplish its own backups.

The rsync utility along with its remote update protocol will sync file systems/directory trees across a network by performing diffs/patches, thus the minimum amount of data is communicated (differences only). And rsync knows about users, groups, permissions, and links. The "man rsync" documentation explains its use.

Regards,
Switon

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
CrashPlan allows you to use their software for free for backups to destinations other than on their servers. I've never used it with more than about 1TB of total data, but it works quite well from my experience.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't think an online service to backup 12TB of data is cost and time effective.

Efrem

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2009
If you can afford 12TB worth of storage, and will need another 12TB of space somewhere to back it up, can't you afford a few bucks for backup software? Looking for freebies here seems to be a strange priority.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I don't think an online service to backup 12TB of data is cost and time effective.

That's why I suggested using it to backup to a destination other than their servers. You can use their software for local backups or backups to another computer you own elsewhere for free. You only pay if you use their cloud storage.

The main reason I suggested it is that it is a) free and b) does an excellent job of deduplication and compression. After he initially backs up the 12TB, the subsequent months jobs will likely be very short unless all or most of that data changes monthly.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I didn't know that,

I agree with the other poster, with spending so much $$ on storage already, is spending a little more for CCC really a problem?

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I didn't know that,

I agree with the other poster, with spending so much $$ on storage already, is spending a little more for CCC really a problem?

I agree with that.

However, I'm still not sure CCC is a great option for this, as it does not appear to do de-duplication or block-level incremental backups, meaning that backup sizes are probably much larger than necessary and backups take longer than necessary.

Petit-Ti

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2012
Hi Guys

Thanks for the quick response. I will have a look into the RSYNC.

As for cost of Data and cost of software. I'm working on a research project and our funds are finish until middle next year. Hence me looking for a bridging solution. The people that use to run our back-ups on CCC, well has left the project as their contract has expired.

Which leaves me with the discussed situation. We have secondary SAN of about 20TB but i don't want to mix data as that is for research and the discussed data is for users ext.

Again thanks for the help much appreciated.

Regards
Petit-Ti

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.