Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beeinformed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
Hi,

I am a first-time iPhone user and would like to know how to set up data and text messaging on my unlocked iPhone 5? I would like to add that I will be using this phone on my T-Mobile plan.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/ideas to help me set this up! :)

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
The phone will typically come with those enabled.

You have to get a sim from the carrier and sign up with one of their plans, after that it's pretty much automatic.

beeinformed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
The phone will typically come with those enabled.

You have to get a sim from the carrier and sign up with one of their plans, after that it's pretty much automatic.

Are you sure the phone typically comes enabled with the data and text messaging as I have T-Mobile service and have read in an article that the setup is difficult to do on the T-Mobile network?

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
Are you sure the phone typically comes enabled with the data and text messaging as I have T-Mobile service and have read in an article that the setup is difficult to do on the T-Mobile network?

You have been misinformed.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
U maybe getting feeback fr Grandpa. In the ole days of flip phones and the dawn of cellular data it was a little hairy back then yes.

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
refer to the documentation on T-mobile web site

You will need to follow the instructions to set your APN etc by following T-mobile's instructions. Putting the sim card will allow phone and data (if you have a plan) and imessaging. For SMS and picture messaging you need to follow instructions outline on the t-mobile web site. I am not sure if web links are allowed but here is the link to T-mobile documentation for an iPhone.
http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-2383

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.