Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zemzabob

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2010
Did you not read the thread?

R.OG has been doing exactly that for the past 6+ pages, including swapping out the CPU for an upgrade, putting in a Samsung SSD, and taking close up photos of the logic board.

I think he was talking to Johnny not rog. :D

jamesakano

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2012
I posted about the adhesive tape on this thread. I have not found the exact tape apple used so im using 3m 4926 vhb tape. OWC just released a memory upgrade kit for the 21.5" which includes foam tape, i really what to know what kind of tape they are using.

R.OG Great work!

If you go to the link you posted on your 21.5" teardown http://blog.macsales.com/16104-owc-...e-diy-kit-for-2012-21-5-apple-imac#more-16104

An OWC representative replies to a comment stating "Our replacement adhesive strips are made from the same 3M VHB adhesive that Apple uses and we found that the shorter runs of these adhesive strips are a little easier to work with than the four long strips Apple uses in their manufacturing process. The adhesive is just as strong as Apple’s and when applied properly provides the same holding power for the screen."

I rather take your word for it regarding the tape and so I am unsure what OWC is actually true or not. Could it be a different variation of the 3M VHB tape? The obvious is the tape OWC are supplying with their kit is white as to Apple's black.

Any comments?

Gelite55

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
R.OG Great work!

If you go to the link you posted on your 21.5" teardown http://blog.macsales.com/16104-owc-...e-diy-kit-for-2012-21-5-apple-imac#more-16104

An OWC representative replies to a comment stating "Our replacement adhesive strips are made from the same 3M VHB adhesive that Apple uses and we found that the shorter runs of these adhesive strips are a little easier to work with than the four long strips Apple uses in their manufacturing process. The adhesive is just as strong as Apple’s and when applied properly provides the same holding power for the screen."

I rather take your word for it regarding the tape and so I am unsure what OWC is actually true or not. Could it be a different variation of the 3M VHB tape? The obvious is the tape OWC are supplying with their kit is white as to Apple's black.

Any comments?
I am so not doing this to my new iMac. Looks like its really easy to do some damage.
http://youtu.be/aN2HFvUfl2g

8GB of RAM is more than enough for FCP X and everything else with RAM to spare. If RAM is that much of an issue for you, you should just return it and reorder it with more RAM.

Last edited:

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
I think it would be acceptable if you had hardback copies of the Steve biography stacked underneath. ;)

1,000 Internet points to you Sir! However, since I haven't finished reading it, it might be a pain to keep taking it out and putting it back. Should have gotten the audio book version. To busy to sit and read it, but I could listen to it.

jamesakano

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2012
I am so not doing this to my new iMac. Looks like its really easy to do some damage.
http://youtu.be/aN2HFvUfl2g

8GB of RAM is more than enough for FCP X and everything else with RAM to spare. If RAM is that much of an issue for you, you should just return it and reorder it with more RAM.

Easy to do some damage if you used a machete to pry open lol.

You have to be aware that every time an imac needs to be repaired officially by apple or authorised repairer the same process will apply, they may have a specific tool, like a prying tool with a restrictor so it only gets inserted deep enough to break the tape. Whatever the case they will still have to break the tape seal and remove it all in preperation to re-apply new adhesive tape.

For most 8gb is more than adequate ram but you might aswell upgrade if you are opening the new imac. The main upgrade to the late 2012 imac is SSD, which is still faster than a fusion drive. A good old 256gb/512gb Samsung 830 SSD should come as standard IMO. Even the 27" has user upgrade-able ram but who cares if you don't have an SSD. Once you go SSD you can't do HDD.

R.OG has upgraded the ram on the 21.5" without removing the logic board, so upgrading the ram isn't a long winded process as some might assume.

I think I can speak for most of us when it comes down to opening up the new imac. We are all just waiting for confirmation on removing the excess tape, how easy is it? Adhesive residue? Can removing all existing tape to have a completely clean untaped imac be even possible? And confirmation of the perfect tape to use to re-adhere the screen? To be as close to or even the same as the one apple uses.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I recall a post where it was mentioned that the original factory tape was very easy to peel off of both surfaces and left no adhesive residue. The concern was to find a replacement tape which would do the same.

THOPMedia

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
Can anyone think of a good reason why an exacto-knife wouldn't work with a bit of extra care? It seems like it would be way easier and I don't see anything nearby that could be cut as long as you were careful. The only tricky spot would be near the camera/mics and wifi antenna. I'm interested to see more detailed photos of those locations. The only other thing I can think of is sometimes there is black paint on the back of the glass where the bezel is that might get scraped off if using metal.

Last edited:

MacFoodPoisoner

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012
Can I just confirm that the base 27" has a slot for the apple blade ssd, and that the ssd is the same one used in the retina macbook pro?

MojoRisinSD

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2012
Can anyone think of a good reason why an exacto-knife wouldn't work with a bit of extra care? It seems like it would be way easier and I don't see anything nearby that could be cut as long as you were careful. The only tricky spot would be near the camera/mics and wifi antenna. I'm interested to see more detailed photos of those locations. The only other thing I can think of is sometimes there is black paint on the back of the glass where the bezel is that might get scraped off if using metal.

Exacto-knife will either mar the aluminum, scratch the paint on the back of the glass, or both. This is why most prying tools for electronics are plastic. If you are steady like a neuro-surgeon you might be alright though.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Personally I'd be a lot more comfortable if OWC would sell the strips separately. Then I wouldn't worry about having too strong a replacement adhesive strip in there if I had to open it again/get warranty work on it.

Kirkle

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Is anyone here considering purchasing OWC's iMac surgery toolkit? They don't yet offer an SSD replacement kit for the new 27," but they no doubt will offer such a kit in the near future (suction cups, toolkit, double-sided tape, etc.). I'm guessing that such a kit would cost $50-$60 from OWC; do you think this is worth the money, or would it be better to just get the required materials on your own?

Any thoughts?

mac.ross

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2012
Is anyone here considering purchasing OWC's iMac surgery toolkit? They don't yet offer an SSD replacement kit for the new 27," but they no doubt will offer such a kit in the near future (suction cups, toolkit, double-sided tape, etc.). I'm guessing that such a kit would cost $50-$60 from OWC; do you think this is worth the money, or would it be better to just get the required materials on your own?

Any thoughts?

The OWC and iFixit kits are meant to be quite good quality and will definitely contain all the parts you need - a good deal in a lot of cases.

I'll go for it depending on the price just to chuck in my toolkit.

R.OG

Suspended
Aug 19, 2010
The blade ssd install went as planned, so i decided to boot into recovery with the 128gb samsung drive and Blade SSD. Thankfully disk utility did not try to fuse the two SSDs together. I swapped out the samsung SSD with the 3.5" 1tb and booted back into recovery and disk utility tried to fuse the two drives together to create a fusion drive. This is good news for those who what to run the imac with 2 SSDs, my ultimate goal is to install a 512GB Samsung ssd and a 256GB blade ssd.

DSCF5753.jpg

SSD is held down by a screw not shown in the picture
DSCF5754.jpg

DSCF5762-1.jpg

DSCF5765.jpg

DSCF5763-1.jpg

Last edited:

jmcgeejr

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2010
Seattle, WA
The blade ssd install went as planned, so i decided to boot into recovery with the 128gb samsung drive and Blade SSD. Thankfully disk utility did not try to fuse the two SSDs together. I swapped out the samsung SSD with the 3.5" 1tb and booted back into recovery and disk utility tried to fuse the two drives together to create a fusion drive. This is good news for those who what to run the imac with 2 SSDs

R.OG just a question but what blade did you end up going with?

R.OG

Suspended
Aug 19, 2010
Ah cheers, I was wondering about the screw hole lineup, that's good news as it means we can put in the OWC based one if we choose :)

I just added a picture of the ssd in my post above.

Last edited:

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
Even better news, people that want a Fusion drive, but don't want to pay Apple the markup, and are willing to open the iMac, can simply add a blade SSD and the system will try to fuse them automatically.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
The blade ssd install went as planned, so i decided to boot into recovery with the 128gb samsung drive and Blade SSD. Thankfully disk utility did not try to fuse the two SSDs together. I swapped out the samsung SSD with the 3.5" 1tb and booted back into recovery and disk utility tried to fuse the two drives together to create a fusion drive. This is good news for those who what to run the imac with 2 SSDs, my ultimate goal is to install a 512GB Samsung ssd and a 256GB blade ssd.

So let me get this straight, i ordered the 3TB fusion model and i was planning on swapping out the 3TB HDD with a 512GB Samsung SSD. From what ive read the Apple supplied fusion setups automatically try to fuse the drives back together but if i install an SSD i can keep the drives separate? If so you juts made me very happy :)

naiver12

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
Even better news, people that want a Fusion drive, but don't want to pay Apple the markup, and are willing to open the iMac, can simply add a blade SSD and the system will try to fuse them automatically.

But you could also use an tb-ssd. You can do an Fusion Drive with an intern hdd and tb-ssd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.