Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chill.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2008
so i sort of jumped the gun already and got an iphone 5 on verizon. i'm paying $90/month for 1 gig of data and unlimited voice/text.

my parents are on t-mobile and have prepaid pay-as-you-go plans. my dad has a smartphone, doesn't have a data plan but would enjoy one, and i wouldn't mind sharing my data with him.

honestly, i only need about 100 minutes of daytime calling a month, and my parents use 100 minutes every 3 months or so.

is there a good family plan we can go on to maximize savings? i don't mind paying the upfront cost to opt out of verizon if it means good long-term savings.

thanks

travis.hansen

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
so i sort of jumped the gun already and got an iphone 5 on verizon. i'm paying $90/month for 1 gig of data and unlimited voice/text.

my parents are on t-mobile and have prepaid pay-as-you-go plans. my dad has a smartphone, doesn't have a data plan but would enjoy one, and i wouldn't mind sharing my data with him.

honestly, i only need about 100 minutes of daytime calling a month, and my parents use 100 minutes every 3 months or so.

is there a good family plan we can go on to maximize savings? i don't mind paying the upfront cost to opt out of verizon if it means good long-term savings.

thanks

T-Mobile is cheap but if data is your thing you need to find out if T-Mobile has launched 1900 band 3G in your area or you will be stuck surfing the web on EDGE. :eek:

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
The proper title for your thread should be "Best phone plan for my family and me?" or "Best phone plan for me and my family". You wouldn't say "Best phone plan for I", so you shouldn't say it when adding another person or group to your sentence.

If the sentence wouldn't make sense when it's just singular (I, me, etc) then it doesn't make sense when you pluralize it.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Just add your parents to your plan on Verizon and add on another couple gbs of data for you and your dad to use. No point of paying an etf to switch if Verizon has good service for you.

chill.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2008
The proper title for your thread should be "Best phone plan for my family and me?" or "Best phone plan for me and my family". You wouldn't say "Best phone plan for I", so you shouldn't say it when adding another person or group to your sentence.

If the sentence wouldn't make sense when it's just singular (I, me, etc) then it doesn't make sense when you pluralize it.

thanks for the reminder, i had forgotten about this bit of grammar

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.