Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
So there's no room for compromise between the iPhone and a 10" screen? Like maybe a very reasonable 4.3 or 4.5?

You're also missing the fact that most people don't have both, so their phone is all they've got to work with and that's why larger screen phones are so popular. Most people can only afford the phone. It's very short sighted to just say "you want a bigger screen, get an iPad" which is the rule of thumb around here.

I was just mentioning my own use. I have an iPad, so when I want the extra real estate I switch to it. I have friends with the slightly larger Android devices, and I figure I might get an iPhone model that big.

There's no way Apple can make a device for everybody. There are obviously users who like the size of the Galaxy Note. I saw one last month and thought it was an iPad mini shrunk in the wash. That's why the big blanket of Android devices sells more than iPhones. There are basically three iPhone models for sale (5, 4S, 4) compared to more than 100 Android devices. If you don't think the OS matters all that much, you will probably find more features suited to you on Android. But alas the OS does count, which is why a good number of us bought an iPhone with its screen size.

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Actually the thing with all this debate is that the screen is too small for some things, too big for others - the main argument against small size being that it's not a long-term browsing device and against large that it has to be able to be used in one hand etc.

For me the problem is the ratio - the increased size didn't change web browsing much as no width is added and in landscape too little is visible. They should have stuck with 4:3 ratio and increased width a couple of mm with the height - after all it's not a primary video source so why is 16:9 so important? 3:2 works for the iPad doesn't it?

I'd just like it if they added a colour calibration option so I could remove the pissy yellow/green tint...

tomjleeds

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Manchester, UK
so glad you finally see the light. Side by side customers are buying the smaller new ipad more than the new larger updated retina ipad. So the buying public has spoken with their dollars.....So Apple released a smaller ipad that is cannibalizing their existing product line......you just can't admit you were wrong even when proven....

The fact that you think you've proven anything is quite tickling.

Yes, Apple brought out a whole new product (iPad mini) and it's outselling the established model (iPad). If you think this is surprising, you are either ignorant, thick, or both.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
And Henry Ford created the modern automobile.

Well clearly according to some of the posts here, the iPhone as it is, trumps the modern automobile.

I am a fan of Apple products, however no company is perfect and when my needs cannot be met by a companies product I will speak to that.

I am just an :apple: fan, not a Kool-Aid drinker! :D

Xenc

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
London, England
I like the larger screens of devices like the S3 but they can be a little unwieldy to hold in one hand. I wonder if Apple will ever enlarge the iPhone screen again, especially now that they've marketed it as having the perfect screen size.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
so glad you finally see the light. Side by side customers are buying the smaller new ipad more than the new larger updated retina ipad. So the buying public has spoken with their dollars.....So Apple released a smaller ipad that is cannibalizing their existing product line......you just can't admit you were wrong even when proven....

Not so fast there my man ...

How many buyers of the new smaller iPad already have an earlier larger version of the iPad?

How many buyers of the new iPad are buying it because they think the larger retina screen model is too big?

How many buyers of the new iPad are buying it because they are Fan Boys who worship Apple's every product and must add one to their shrine at home?

You'd have to prove that buyers of the smaller one are buying it because the other is too large to say the new on is canabalizing the other.

I tend to think the new smaller iPad is complementing the sales of the larger unit.

We have two iPads here, original and second generation so we won't be buying another one anytime soon. However after playing with the smaller one a bit I can say that when I go to buy another one it will not be the smaller one because I think the larger one is perfect for what it is.

However I work out in the field and am turning more and more to the iPhone for email/internet based information. I don't want to lug around two devices I mean it is bad enough I have to lug around two cell phones, but that is another story.

I guess I could complain because Apple doesn't make an iPhone that can hold two SIM cards and be a two line phone! :D

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Not so fast there my man ...

How many buyers of the new smaller iPad already have an earlier larger version of the iPad?

How many buyers of the new iPad are buying it because they think the larger retina screen model is too big?

How many buyers of the new iPad are buying it because they are Fan Boys who worship Apple's every product and must add one to their shrine at home?

You'd have to prove that buyers of the smaller one are buying it because the other is too large to say the new on is canabalizing the other.

I tend to think the new smaller iPad is complementing the sales of the larger unit.

We have two iPads here, original and second generation so we won't be buying another one anytime soon. However after playing with the smaller one a bit I can say that when I go to buy another one it will not be the smaller one because I think the larger one is perfect for what it is.

However I work out in the field and am turning more and more to the iPhone for email/internet based information. I don't want to lug around two devices I mean it is bad enough I have to lug around two cell phones, but that is another story.

I guess I could complain because Apple doesn't make an iPhone that can hold two SIM cards and be a two line phone! :D
I think you missed my point......the poster i was replying to said Apple would not release products ( larger iPhone along side existing size iPhone) because it would cannibalize the existing product. So i brought up the example of the ipad mini versus the larger ipad 4.
I think there is room to release a larger screen iphone......they would sell millions. I agree with you on carrying 2 devices...but I often carry my ipad 3 LTE instead of my MBP because it is so much easier to lug around. So often times I will carry my iphone in my pocket and my ipad under my arm.

tomjleeds

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Manchester, UK
I think you missed my point......the poster i was replying to said Apple would not release products ( larger iPhone along side existing size iPhone) because it would cannibalize the existing product. So i brought up the example of the ipad mini versus the larger ipad 4.
I think there is room to release a larger screen iphone......they would sell millions. I agree with you on carrying 2 devices...but I often carry my ipad 3 LTE instead of my MBP because it is so much easier to lug around. So often times I will carry my iphone in my pocket and my ipad under my arm.

So that confirms it, you can't/didn't/won't read.

Go back and read what I put again. This time, actually read it, instead of projecting. I did not say what you claim.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
I like the larger screens of devices like the S3 but they can be a little unwieldy to hold in one hand. I wonder if Apple will ever enlarge the iPhone screen again, especially now that they've marketed it as having the perfect screen size.

It had the perfect screen size before, as well. If they ever enlarge it again, it will have a new perfect screen size...

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
It took Apple how many years to decide to change the screen size to 4 inches?... don't think they will ever increase it so soon, if ever

RTbar

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2011
the screen is perfect for me - it fits in my smaller hands, and due to the smaller size i use it more as a tool....no more mindless browsing and tweaking like i did with android

raptorstv

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
the screen is perfect for me - it fits in my smaller hands, and due to the smaller size i use it more as a tool....no more mindless browsing and tweaking like i did with android

Because the width is so slim, it hurts my hand after holding the phone for too long. All i know is, if iphone release a bigger iphone, i will be first to line up and sell my iphone 5

----------

It took Apple how many years to decide to change the screen size to 4 inches?... don't think they will ever increase it so soon, if ever

That was under steve jobs, look at how things change so quickly under Tim Cook... He's the best! Better than Steve Jobs!

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
To OP, you say youre eyes hurt when browsing the web? I don't know about Safari, but if you download the Chrome Browser App, you can set minium font sizes for webpages. This should help your eyes out. I think the 4" screen is perfect. Now if I see a 4S or older, I can't believe how small the screen seems when held in Landscape.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Why Apple chose to continue to trail the leaders with a narrow little 4.0" screen is baffling. Yet the ideal solution for me, one who widely prefers all things Apple, was to dump my iP5, buy an iPad mini & a compact feature phone. Now I've got plenty of room to work. While the iP5 didn't bother my eyes, the little display was just to limiting.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Why Apple chose to continue to trail the leaders with a narrow little 4.0" screen is baffling. Yet the ideal solution for me, one who widely prefers all things Apple, was to dump my iP5, buy an iPad mini & a compact feature phone. Now I've got plenty of room to work. While the iP5 didn't bother my eyes, the little display was just to limiting.
you can always go android you know.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
That was under steve jobs, look at how things change so quickly under Tim Cook... He's the best! Better than Steve Jobs!

Tim Cook is better than Steve Jobs? Where were you during the 90s-2011?

Not to insult or anything, but I haven't seen Tim doing anything that makes him better than Steve.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Forgive me, but you're mistaken. I own an iPhone 5 and have no trouble using it with one hand. I will admit that I have large hands however.

The good news is that everyone's hands are a different size. People that blindly say that you need two hands with an Android handset need to stop labeling people and devices based on their own opinions.

Now, as a Note 2 owner, I love the fact that it's not as big as one would think once you take it out of the store, and that I can actually use it with:

ONE HAND!

cant live without these apps.......
- facetime
- imessage
- goodreader
- CBC TV
- puffin
- CNBC RT
- my university school app
- podcast
- passbook
- KTdict Chinese-English
- Viki (Android has it, but so buggy)

I feel for you. I needed just two marketcircle apps myself, the rest of my mobile computing was done with Google services so it was a no brainer for me to continue skipping iOS in terms of a handset. My Note has really taken the place of my iPad now, especially since I have upwards of 75GBs on it.

I do want an iPad Mini to give me the best of both worlds however, and since Google codes things better in the iOS ecosystem, and the other apps I use are platform agnostic, I don't have to worry much about picking the wrong tool . . . . . . sorry I was relishing in the freedom.

If I where you, I'd go iPad Mini or iPad 2/3/4. Signing a petition and saying that we should too isn't going to help. Either expand your handset horizons or fork out more cash for another, bigger device. Although, I don't find the iPhone 5 screen too small at all, even after living with a Note 2; but I do find the phones on the other side much more feature rich out of the box.

Sorry, you fell for marketing. You still use two hands to use the phone. Try reaching for those buttons in the upper right or left corners with one hand.

Now, I would tend to agree that Apple did spin the notion that a longer phone was easier to use with two hands. Other companies will blatantly rip Apple off, but Apple will blatantly cripple their own devices to say they are different.

With that being said, I still have to use two hands even in portrait mode to punch out a short SMS or email, so the one handed argument is still garbage.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
REALLY? I figured there might be a couple hundred out there actually for sale. Holy segmentation, Batman.

It's pretty bad, and only getting worse. If you're interested, the following articles explain pretty well why developer support has overwhelmingly been on Apple's side:

The shocking toll of hardware and software fragmentation on Android development

iOS v Android: why Schmidt was wrong and developers still start on Apple

This was highlighted by the recent release of Temple Run on the Android platform. A previously (very) successful game on iOS, it was brought over to Android in order to take advantage of the huge number of devices that run the OS. And it has already hit 1 million downloads in just 3 days, good, even for a free app. But very quickly, the developers of the app discovered the pitfalls of fragmentation:

YoFKE.png

Smith confirmed for us that his Audiobooks app has been run on 1443 different Android devices by its users. This makes it absolutely impossible to determine whether an app will run without problems for all of your customers. To drive home how ridiculously shattered the Android landscape is, check out this list of the most used single devices based on 1.3M downloads of his app:

Droid X (7.8% of users)
Samsung Galaxy S2 (4.3%)
Droid (4%)
HTC Desire HD (4%)
HTC Evo 4G (3.7%)
Droid incredible (2.3%)
This is insanity when you look at it from the standpoint of an iOS developer, who has to support only a handful of hardware varietals. Of course, Android’s very nature causes this.

tumblr_lnx7zso4dv1qe4dqj.png

Current estimates peg the AppStore as having sold about 20x more than the Google Play store. I've read that some developers have actually had to hire additional support staff just to handle the onslaught of emails which came in after deciding to support Android, the majority of which were handset specific complaints. The developers are deciding to put their resources towards a second iOS app, instead of porting their existing app to Android.

One specific dev complained their Android app had 1/4th the revenue as their iOS app, while costing 4x to support. He ended up dropping Android altogether once he realized it was costing him 16x more to bring his apps to market.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.