Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
I want to for example have the app MenuTunes automatically start when I boot up...as the first thing I usually get on is iTunes. Is that possible?

jido

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2010
I want to for example have the app MenuTunes automatically start when I boot up...as the first thing I usually get on is iTunes. Is that possible?

When you boot, not easily but when you login you can. Go in System Preferences, Accounts and check the Login Options.

By the way try the Help menu of your Mac, you can generally find what you want.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
When you boot, not easily but when you login you can. Go in System Preferences, Accounts and check the Login Options.

By the way try the Help menu of your Mac, you can generally find what you want.

Users and Groups, then click Login Items, click add-+.
It is weird when I click the Login Options and hit "+" it doesnt let me add apps it just wants to create another user

NVRENUF!

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
PERTH, Australia
you clicking the wrong plus sign then its the one on the right

login.png

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
you clicking the wrong plus sign then its the one on the right

And you have to click the padlock first to unlock, if it is locked.
Ahh ok yeah the first post said to look for Login Options its items have just unlocked it right on. I notice Better Touch Tool doesnt start up and my gestures dont work after a reboot, would it be a good idea to add it here? I dont think there are any options within the app that will auto start on a reboot havent seen any. So I will probably do that.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Ahh ok yeah the first post said to look for Login Options its items have just unlocked it right on. I notice Better Touch Tool doesnt start up and my gestures dont work after a reboot, would it be a good idea to add it here? I dont think there are any options within the app that will auto start on a reboot havent seen any. So I will probably do that.

I don't know Better Touch Tool, if it needs to be there at startup the Developers would have added support for this with a kernel extension/startup item/LaunchAgent/LaunchDeamon.
If this is the case there might be settings somewhere like in System Preferences.

But, why do you need MultiTouch before Login, it is not needed at all.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
I don't know Better Touch Tool, if it needs to be there at startup the Developers would have added support for this with a kernel extension/startup item/LaunchAgent/LaunchDeamon.
If this is the case there might be settings somewhere like in System Preferences.

But, why do you need MultiTouch before Login, it is not needed at all.

I want it so I don't have to open it every time I restart. I use the bottom-left or right tap to get between tabs in Chrome and four-finger click to close an app etc.. It'd be nice if it would just be in effect right away instead of having to launch the app but maybe its not intended by the devs to boot up with your Mac?! Does that make sense what I'm saying?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I want it so I don't have to open it every time I restart. I use the bottom-left or right tap to get between tabs in Chrome and four-finger click to close an app etc.. It'd be nice if it would just be in effect right away instead of having to launch the app but maybe its not intended by the devs to boot up with your Mac?!

If you want it to start at login then the procedure above will do.

No need for it to start at boot.

KaraH

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
DC
If you want a more complex answer you can do it via automator then have the result either be a script that gets launched as above or put it on the calendar as a daily repeating action for a certain time.

I tend to do that because I like to give my mac a minute before launching big apps (like a web browser) to make sure everything is loaded first. Then space out each launch by, oh, a minute so I do not run into things like my web browser failing to load web pages because calibre is doing it's thing at the same exact time.

Of course, your results may vary. My computer wakes up before I do so I find this a handy way to get things ready for me without having to worry at a screen of 404 errors.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
If you want a more complex answer you can do it via automator then have the result either be a script that gets launched as above or put it on the calendar as a daily repeating action for a certain time.

I tend to do that because I like to give my mac a minute before launching big apps (like a web browser) to make sure everything is loaded first. Then space out each launch by, oh, a minute so I do not run into things like my web browser failing to load web pages because calibre is doing it's thing at the same exact time.

Of course, your results may vary. My computer wakes up before I do so I find this a handy way to get things ready for me without having to worry at a screen of 404 errors.

Why make it more difficult than it should be, for what he wants Login Items is the easiest and best way.

Couldn't you just add it to your dock then right click and go 'open at login'?

Again, Login Items is easier.

kaelell

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2009
Is there a way I can do the oppoisite ^^

I have a Virgin broadband backup software which starts on startup , theres no option in the software itself and I have de-selected the entry from the systems login options etc all the normal steps advised to stop it from starting up but it still does.
Often it hangs and causes a slower boot up, I dont wish for it to be running unless I tell it too. Is there any other way or terminal command or something I can force it to stop loading up upon log in.

thanks

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010

I appreciate the suggestion but yeah I'll try the other options just reading this reminds me of being on my PC and doing too much work don't want to go back there

If you want it to start at login then the procedure above will do.

No need for it to start at boot.

No right clicking on the app and selecting "open at login" is the easiest way imo. ;)
Nice, both sound good:)

For these that use BetterTouchTool is this what you guys do or do you just launch it every time?

Last edited:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
No right clicking on the app and selecting "open at login" is the easiest way imo. ;)

Isn't that the same;)
Not on My system (10.5.8) ;)

Is there a way I can do the oppoisite ^^

I have a Virgin broadband backup software which starts on startup , theres no option in the software itself and I have de-selected the entry from the systems login options etc all the normal steps advised to stop it from starting up but it still does.
Often it hangs and causes a slower boot up, I dont wish for it to be running unless I tell it too. Is there any other way or terminal command or something I can force it to stop loading up upon log in.

thanks

You probably have LaunchAgents/LaunchDeamons or Startup Items in their respective folder in:

/Library/LaunchAgents

/Library/LaunchDeamons

/Library/StartupItems

If you have trouble finding these report, these are not visible folders since Lion I think.

kaelell

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2009
Isn't that the same;)
Not on My system (10.5.8) ;)

You probably have LaunchAgents/LaunchDeamons or Startup Items in their respective folder in:

/Library/LaunchAgents

/Library/LaunchDeamons

/Library/StartupItems

If you have trouble finding these report, these are not visible folders since Lion I think.

thanks! will check it out.

KaraH

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
DC
Why make it more difficult than it should be, for what he wants Login Items is the easiest and best way.

Again, Login Items is easier.

True, I do both. Some items I toss in login items. Other items that either do not play well with others, I want launched in a specific order, or I want to add a bit of logic to I do with that timed script.

Well, it could have been worse. I could have suggested adding them to the crontab. :)

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Users and Groups, then click Login Items, click add-+.
Perry,

Do you know why it works and at times it doesnt? I've done the listed things here but it works and at times it doesn't. I had to go and manually launch the program a couple times already. It's pretty frustrating not sure why this is happening.

Is this method any different? I tried the right click and it doesnt show "open at login" for me:(

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Perry,

Do you know why it works and at times it doesnt? I've done the listed things here but it works and at times it doesn't. I had to go and manually launch the program a couple times already. It's pretty frustrating not sure why this is happening.

Is this method any different? I tried the right click and it doesnt show "open at login" for me:(

If it is in Login Items it should always work, I never had any problems but I think this might be a problem with the Application which you added crashing.

You should look into the crash logs, look if the App you added crashed.

I don't have Lion nor Mountain Lion but it should be exactly the same, just try on an Application and look if it is added to your Login Items, if so you know it is the same.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
If it is in Login Items it should always work, I never had any problems but I think this might be a problem with the Application which you added crashing.

You should look into the crash logs, look if the App you added crashed.

I don't have Lion nor Mountain Lion but it should be exactly the same, just try on an Application and look if it is added to your Login Items, if so you know it is the same.

Yeah figured that, probably is just the app crashing. :mad:

e271

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2012

The solution is given here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/15165604/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.