Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The_Man

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2005
Can anyone help explain to me Airport Extreme and Airport Express and their functions?

The_Man

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2005
Thanks for that link! I had no idea to check APPLE.COM!

I obviously have already been to the apple website to look at the information on the product. I have previously read the description but I was just wondering if anyone could give me a more detailed description of what exactly it does and not just post a link to apple.com.

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Theman2290 said:

I obviously have already been to the apple website to look at the information on the product. I have previously read the description but I was just wondering if anyone could give me a more detailed description of what exactly it does and not just post a link to apple.com.

airport extreme is a wireless router. Airport express is a smaller form factor device that can be used as a wireless router, but lacks some features of the extreme model. it can also be used as a wireless range extender and for streaming music to a stereo wirelessly. In most cases, airport extreme is a complete ripoff, since if you look around you can get a wireless router for under 20 bucks after rebates. Airport express is best used for the music and wireless extender capabilities.

broken_keyboard

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Secret Moon base
It just saves you a few wires that's all...

Instead of running cables from your modem to your computer and from your computer to your other computers, you just buy one of these and it uses radio waves instead.

mike423

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
airport extreme is a wireless router. Airport express is a smaller form factor device that can be used as a wireless router, but lacks some features of the extreme model. it can also be used as a wireless range extender and for streaming music to a stereo wirelessly. In most cases, airport extreme is a complete ripoff, since if you look around you can get a wireless router for under 20 bucks after rebates. Airport express is best used for the music and wireless extender capabilities.

When you say wireless extender you mean? like say I have a siemens router at home in living room, so the connection is little low...If I put the apple airport in my room will it connect to the siemens router and give me better network?

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
When you say wireless extender you mean? like say I have a siemens router at home in living room, so the connection is little low...If I put the apple airport in my room will it connect to the siemens router and give me better network?

Precisely. This is done by setting the Airport Express in Bridge mode. The computer in your room connects with strong signal to the Airport Express, which relays that signal to the Siemens router, and back. The Siemens router remains the "main" router. Theoretically, this "router hop" cuts your throughput in half, but you'll most likely never notice in normal usage, especially if your Siemens router is Wi-Fi N speed.

At the same time, the Express can play back any iTunes library through its 1/8" stereo jack; this function is called AirTunes.

The Express has a USB port, but it's good only for connecting a printer. However, any networked computer will be able to connect to that printer. The Extreme's USB port, by contrast, will accept USB external hard drives as well as printers; it will also accept a powered USB hub for connecting multiple USB devices.

The 3 main things the Extreme can do that the Express can't:
  • Allow wired (Ethernet) clients-- it has three Gigabit Ethernet client ports, while the Express only allows wireless.
  • Allow USB hard drives or flash drives on its USB port.
  • Allow WiFi-G and WiFi-N devices on the same network, with all devices going top speed (called Simultaneous Dual Band).

The 2 things the Express can do that the Extreme can't:
  • Portability: Its compact size works well for business travelers who use it in hotels that provided only wired connections in rooms.
  • AirTunes (see above).

In most cases, airport extreme is a complete ripoff, since if you look around you can get a wireless router for under 20 bucks after rebates.
If you're looking for a barebones router, perhaps. However, if you have a mixed-client situation-- a WiFi-N iMac in Dad's office, Mom's older WiFi-G iPod touch, and a teenager who insists on Gigabit Ethernet for his water-cooled gaming rig, the Extreme is worth the money, because no connection slows down any other-- there is no WiFi speed fallback with Simultaneous Dual Band. Competing routers that can do this are-- guess what?-- right about the same price as the Extreme.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
Note that most of this thread is 5years old so some of the comments should be read with that in mind.

Right. I only answered mike423's question, as it was posted yesterday. I decided to be more complete about my answer, as the advances in the Airport Extreme make it a considerably different (and IMHO better) value from its 2005 equivalent-- especially Simultaneous Dual Band, which wasn't available when strider42 made the "ripoff" comment.

mike423

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
Precisely. This is done by setting the Airport Express in Bridge mode. The computer in your room connects with strong signal to the Airport Express, which relays that signal to the Siemens router, and back. The Siemens router remains the "main" router. Theoretically, this "router hop" cuts your throughput in half, but you'll most likely never notice in normal usage, especially if your Siemens router is Wi-Fi N speed.

At the same time, the Express can play back any iTunes library through its 1/8" stereo jack; this function is called AirTunes.

The Express has a USB port, but it's good only for connecting a printer. However, any networked computer will be able to connect to that printer. The Extreme's USB port, by contrast, will accept USB external hard drives as well as printers; it will also accept a powered USB hub for connecting multiple USB devices.

The 3 main things the Extreme can do that the Express can't:
  • Allow wired (Ethernet) clients-- it has three Gigabit Ethernet client ports, while the Express only allows wireless.
  • Allow USB hard drives or flash drives on its USB port.
  • Allow WiFi-G and WiFi-N devices on the same network, with all devices going top speed (called Simultaneous Dual Band).

The 2 things the Express can do that the Extreme can't:
  • Portability: Its compact size works well for business travelers who use it in hotels that provided only wired connections in rooms.
  • AirTunes (see above).

If you're looking for a barebones router, perhaps. However, if you have a mixed-client situation-- a WiFi-N iMac in Dad's office, Mom's older WiFi-G iPod touch, and a teenager who insists on Gigabit Ethernet for his water-cooled gaming rig, the Extreme is worth the money, because no connection slows down any other-- there is no WiFi speed fallback with Simultaneous Dual Band. Competing routers that can do this are-- guess what?-- right about the same price as the Extreme.

Thank s alot this helped alot too. :)

Loke2112

macrumors regular
May 11, 2011
3 blocks off the Atlantic
Hey I'm bumping this old thread as I need some clarification. I have an Extreme and an Express )1st) gen and want to know for sure if I can extend the range of the express WITHOUT connecting visa ethernet. Someone mentioned bridge mode but I don't recall seeing that during set up but would be glad to redo in once Im sure it will do what I want. Otherwise I can connect via ethernet but would prefer not to.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina

Yes, pretty much.

I live in a house that is fairly big. The main Airport Extreme router is attached to cable on one side. That side gets good reception. The other side of the house used to get only 1-2 bars of weak WiFi reception. I solved the problem by placing a cheaper Airport Express on the weak-signal side of the house. Voila! The Airport Express acts like an "extender", it grabs the weak signal that the main airport is transmitting and magnifies it so that the area surrounding the Airport Express (used as an extender) will get strong 3-4 bar reception.

----------

Hey I'm bumping this old thread as I need some clarification. I have an Extreme and an Express )1st) gen and want to know for sure if I can extend the range of the express WITHOUT connecting visa ethernet.

Your question is not clear. Do you want to use the Express to extend your Airport Extreme's range? Because that would be the natural thing to do. And yes, it is done via WiFi (not some physical ethernet cable).

If you are trying to accomplish something else…. not sure about it…

Loke2112

macrumors regular
May 11, 2011
3 blocks off the Atlantic
Yes, pretty much.

I live in a house that is fairly big. The main Airport Extreme router is attached to cable on one side. That side gets good reception. The other side of the house used to get only 1-2 bars of weak WiFi reception. I solved the problem by placing a cheaper Airport Express on the weak-signal side of the house. Voila! The Airport Express acts like an "extender", it grabs the weak signal that the main airport is transmitting and magnifies it so that the area surrounding the Airport Express (used as an extender) will get strong 3-4 bar reception.

----------

Your question is not clear. Do you want to use the Express to extend your Airport Extreme's range? Because that would be the natural thing to do. And yes, it is done via WiFi (not some physical ethernet cable).

If you are trying to accomplish something else…. not sure about it…

Sorry I see I typed visa instead of via... Thanks for your help. I ran some speed tests last night with and without it plugged in in the basement and there was an obvious jump. Please as punch thank you!

AlisonInWonderland

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2016

Dude.... I literally thought I wrote this message you wrote. It sounds and is worded exactly like something I would say. As a matter of fact, I have said this exact thing but about another product. Don't you just hate that **** though? People are sooooooo stupid these days, it blows my mind. Every time I ask a question... to literally anyone.... they assume I am asking for the obvious answer. It seems to me every question can be interpreted in one of two ways by some one... they can think you're asking the version of the question where the answer is super obvious and anyone with even a lick of common sense would ALREADY KNOW... then on the other hand they can think you're asking (which NEVER HAPPEND.) you're asking the version where the answer actually would take a little bit of thought and be handled by someone who isn't a robot. I am always asking for a REAL answer... that someone has to form themselves based on things they have witnessed, experienced, and/or learnt. Why are people so stupid these days? The funny part is the person who suggested you go to the website is so stupid that they thought they had a great answer. To them, apparently, visiting the website and reading the description is not obvious... otherwise they wouldn't have even suggested. I am a web designer and ever since I started dealing with customers was when I developed this hate for people and really realized how idiotic everyone is. Sometimes I was to have creative freedom and create something amazing ... but that's hard when people are so stupid, don't use their brains to this, and lack serious common sense. If the websites navigation isn't very clearly laid out and repeated several times various places with instructions they will not understand how to get around to the different pages. Something as simple as filling out a contact form has to be explained IN-DEPTH with basically a big read button saying CLICK HERE TO SEND THE MESSAGE... WHOA, sorry I TOTALLY started RANTING there for a bit... I needed to get that off my chest, so THANK YOU STRANGER who has the same writing style as me. (You're probably like yea right lady... I just say that you do based on the messed you sent above.)

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Yes, pretty much.

I live in a house that is fairly big. The main Airport Extreme router is attached to cable on one side. That side gets good reception. The other side of the house used to get only 1-2 bars of weak WiFi reception.…

You wasted your money. :rolleyes:

[doublepost=1462883464][/doublepost]
Dude.... I literally thought I wrote this message you wrote. It sounds and is worded exactly like something I would say. As a matter of fact, I have said this exact thing but about another product. Don't you just hate that **** though? People are sooooooo stupid these days, it blows my mind. Every time I ask a question... to literally anyone.... they assume I am asking for the obvious answer. It seems to me every question can be interpreted in one of two ways by some one... they can think you're asking the version of the question where the answer is super obvious and anyone with even a lick of common sense would ALREADY KNOW... then on the other hand they can think you're asking (which NEVER HAPPEND.) you're asking the version where the answer actually would take a little bit of thought and be handled by someone who isn't a robot. I am always asking for a REAL answer... that someone has to form themselves based on things they have witnessed, experienced, and/or learnt. Why are people so stupid these days? The funny part is the person who suggested you go to the website is so stupid that they thought they had a great answer. To them, apparently, visiting the website and reading the description is not obvious... otherwise they wouldn't have even suggested. I am a web designer and ever since I started dealing with customers was when I developed this hate for people and really realized how idiotic everyone is. Sometimes I was to have creative freedom and create something amazing ... but that's hard when people are so stupid, don't use their brains to this, and lack serious common sense. If the websites navigation isn't very clearly laid out and repeated several times various places with instructions they will not understand how to get around to the different pages. Something as simple as filling out a contact form has to be explained IN-DEPTH with basically a big read button saying CLICK HERE TO SEND THE MESSAGE... WHOA, sorry I TOTALLY started RANTING there for a bit... I needed to get that off my chest, so THANK YOU STRANGER who has the same writing style as me. (You're probably like yea right lady... I just say that you do based on the messed you sent above.)

You need to calm down and laugh! ;)

Reactions: 8692574

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Why are people so stupid these days? The funny part is the person who suggested you go to the website is so stupid that they thought they had a great answer.)
Keep in mind - 11 years ago - that the Airport Express were pretty new and the Extreme was only about two years old. That, and internet search engines sucked back then and finding information on Apple's rudimentary website was a PITA. I'd rather get a link for something I want to know more about and not a behavioral lecture...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.