Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OriginalMacRat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2007
The 3GS doesn't support hspa+ which is what they're refarming....... So her 3GS won't do 3G on tmob only 4 and up

Incorrect. The 1900MHz refarm isn't limited to HSPA+.

And before you try to argue that it is, keep in mind that many iPhone 3GS users (myself included) are getting 3G on T-Mobile now.

vartanarsen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
Straight Talk

Straight Talk Has been doing this for few years now.
$50

And HSPA+ speeds are ready, no waiting for a roll out

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
T-Mobile is lying like Sprint here. I'm in Boston and the refarmed "4G" is barely deployed here I am (right in the city). I have a prepaid TMo sim for my S3 and I can walk down the street and drop down to EDGE, back to picking it up again a couple blocks down the road. Pretty ridiculous.

They need to concentrate on putting 4G on every tower before announcing it.

chagla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2008
T-Mobile: Wake me up when you offer actual 4G LTE. Nice try with marketing HSPA+ as "4G", but I'm not buying it...

I do like me some Carly Fuchs though...!

regardless of the terminology, tmobile hspa speed rivals at&t's lte speed. tmobile hspa is faster than sprint lte. :)

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
I personally haven't, but have a friend with an iPhone4 in Miami getting 3G now, gets 2-3mb/s

:D

Sounds great!
Thank you for letting me know. I'm in Palm Beach County, but I move around the Tri-County area

----------

I'm in Chicago using a 4S. I can confirm that Tethering/Hotspot works but FaceTime over cellular doesn't.

I'm on a Value Plan with 500 minutes, unlimited text and 2GB data (unlimited Edge) for $50/month.

Thank you for your feedback.

So does your FaceTime over Cellular setting is disabled or it simply doesn't work at all even when enabled?
Actually, I think a much higher transfer rate may be required; definitely not EDGE. Just in case, make sure you're on the latest iOS version.

I can't wait for T-Mobile to carry the iPhone, as long as it's not crippled.

kittycat40

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
Torrance, California
The 3GS doesn't support hspa+ which is what they're refarming....... So her 3GS won't do 3G on tmob only 4 and up

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/33475/iphone-hd-vs-iphone-3gs
http://www.macworld.com/article/1141606/iphone3gs_hspa.html

links is above ^

The original IPhone 3G could only do internet download speeds up to 3.6 MPS MAXIMUM. The IPhone 3GS and IPhone 4 are capable of the same internet download speeds up to 7.2 MPS MAXIMUM. The iPhone 4S is capable of HSDPA + 14.4 MPS MAXIMUM.

Get your facts straight. The following models of the IPhone: IPhone 3G, IPhone 3GS,IPhone 4, IPhone 4S were 3G only capable devices. Sure the IPhone 4S could do faster internet speeds than the IPhone 3G,3GS, and 4, but still the IPhone 4S can only do 3G download speed. Some might consider the IPhone 4S a 3.5G phone since its really fast 3G speed, but 14.4 MPS maximum is not fast enough to be considered 4G. The IPhone 5 was the first IPhone that was truly capable of 4G.

Last edited:

chagla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2008
simplemobile is another tmobile MVNO. i think they offer a little more (unlimited international texting!) in addition to the usual unlimited (talk+text+data) package for $40. no tax.

not sure if everybody knows but many* tmobile phones have something called wifi calling. if you have low cellular signal, all you have to do is turn on wifi. great thing is that it's built-in on the phone itself. nothing to buy, no additonal fee. not like verizon or at&t solution where you have to buy/rent a stupid cell tower and pay additional monthly.

pmilkes

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2011
Will the TMO 4G support simultaneous voice and data for iPhone 4S and 5? Verizon won't.

rohitp

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2003
Austin, Texas
Incorrect. The 1900MHz refarm isn't limited to HSPA+.

And before you try to argue that it is, keep in mind that many iPhone 3GS users (myself included) are getting 3G on T-Mobile now.

Is there anything in particular about your settings that you can think about? I called t-mobile support and the settings on my iPhone 3GS seem right. 3G and Data Roaming are enabled and "Cellular Data" also has the correct settings. It is identical to my iPhone 4S and it still just shows Edge while the 4S shows 3G.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
So I'm in Austin and getting 3G data on my iPhone 4S with T-Mobile. However, my daughter with her iPhone 3GS (3G data turned on) still only shows EDGE. Does anyone know why?

Because the 3GS doesn't support HSPA+ the iPhone 4S, maybe the 4 was the first to support it.

Ahmir

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2012
Solavei

I am a Solavei member, and have been for 3 months. I get the EXACT same service that I was getting with T-Mobile, the only difference is with T-Mobile I was paying $115.00 per month, with Solavei I am paying $49.00 plus tax. I have almost 30 people under me now, and they are all satisfied customers. My bill is actually free at this point. But I can vouch for the service being great, and the money making aspect of it. I have a Galaxy 2 and get 4G speeds. And I in the Philadelphia area, so my iphone customers are getting 4G speeds as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.