Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

isoft7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 3, 2011
As an X android ROM developer flashing your phone isn't all that glamorous. Ya its fun right after you flash but then you feel the need to flash something else. Basically most users rely on others to do everything for them. If you switch to Android are you going to be able to add transparency to the ROM yourself? Are you going to compile your own ROMs, decompile APKs? Probably not. Then the bugs its the fix one thing break something else. Take it from a guy who worked on it for years, its not that great.

I'll add this too: its seems like android ROM development has really slowed down too. Certain devises get all the attention.

Nah... rom development is at an all time high, go hang around xda for an afternoon. The difference in what you're perceiving stems from the large number of dev worthy devices on the market today.

Compared to say just a few years ago when there were only a small group of major power house phones to develop for. Now there are dozens and dozens.

The Android dev community is insane in size.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Like what?

Literally anything, the possibilities are endless. Theres even a system wide theming engine that works with all apps. All you have to do is go on the play store and search for themes for theme chooser. There is so much your can do beyond this. Just browse the forums on xda-developers.com

Heck you can even get additonal hardware functionality on android like slide to wake on the touch screen or wave to wake over the proximity sensor. These are implemented at the kernel level which means you don't need an app in the background keeping the phone or tablet awake for these functions to work.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
Literally anything, the possibilities are endless. Theres even a system wide theming engine that works with all apps. All you have to do is go on the play store and search for themes for theme chooser. There is so much your can do beyond this. Just browse the forums on xda-developers.com

Heck you can even get additonal hardware functionality on android like slide to wake on the touch screen or wave to wake over the proximity sensor. These are implemented at the kernel level which means you don't need an app in the background keeping the phone or tablet awake for these functions to work.

I was a ROM developer on XDA so I know what all can be done. Just search for zone23 and you will find my work. I want to do a theme for the iPhone IF it ever gets jailbroken, but check this out:

http://www.codethemed.com/

I just don't see how 20 different devices each with maybe 10 developers is better than 100 developers working on the same device. That is once its jailbroken.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
I was a ROM developer on XDA so I know what all can be done. Just search for zone23 and you will find my work. I want to do a theme for the iPhone IF it ever gets jailbroken, but check this out:

http://www.codethemed.com/

I just don't see how 20 different devices each with maybe 10 developers is better than 100 developers working on the same device. That is once its jailbroken.

Buy a nexus device and you'll find literally thousands of devs work on that device. Same goes for top tier devices like the galaxy s3 or note II. Not to mention the fact that with many devices like the galaxy s3 or any of the nexus's there is not worry about whether root will be broken in an update as they have unlocked bootloaders and a manufacturer that actually actively supports the rooting community.

Last edited:

super michael

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
There is one thing I don't get, how is it that device with A4 chip is possible to jailbreak, but yet device with A5 and beyond can't jailbreak? Does the A5 device have more security than A4?

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
There is one thing I don't get, how is it that device with A4 chip is possible to jailbreak, but yet device with A5 and beyond can't jailbreak? Does the A5 device have more security than A4?

A5 and beyond processors are not susceptible to exploits used on older hardware configurations.
To date, no boot level exploit has been found for newer hardware configurations thus requiring sophisticated work-arounds to deliver untethered jailbreaks.

blackburn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Where Judas lost it's boots.
Buy a nexus device and you'll find literally thousands of devs work on that device. Same goes for top tier devices like the galaxy s3 or note II. Not to mention the fact that with many devices like the galaxy s3 or any of the nexus's there is not worry about whether root will be broken in an update as they have unlocked bootloaders and a manufacturer that actually actively supports the rooting community.

Last time I checked I had my warranty void by flashing a custom kernel on my ex samsung android (custom binary counter). And some phones mark a flag that it has been rooted so having unlocked bootloaders doesn't mean that the manufacturer supports it, more like allows it. And yes in some phones you can reset it (till the day).

(I could care less about the warranty, but even if it is only an hardware problem they might give you a 'your warranty is now void due to unauthorized modifications' paper and your out)

Now the conclusion is you have a choice. With apple you have to rely on an exploit of some kind.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Last time I checked I had my warranty void by flashing a custom kernel on my ex samsung android (custom binary counter). And some phones mark a flag that it has been rooted so having unlocked bootloaders doesn't mean that the manufacturer supports it, more like allows it. And yes in some phones you can reset it (till the day).

(I could care less about the warranty, but even if it is only an hardware problem they might give you a 'your warranty is now void due to unauthorized modifications' paper and your out)

Now the conclusion is you have a choice. With apple you have to rely on an exploit of some kind.

Feedback from people who have had to deal with samsung warranty support points to the fact that very rarely do they ever check the flash counter and they will honor warranties related to hardware defects regardless of your root status.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
You see guys, I am probably quite older than many of you. When I was a lad in high school, I had to talk to my sweetheart on the one phone in the house, in the kitchen wired to the wall, next to the living room where my parents were trying to act like they were not listening intently.. I had to take quarters with me if I needed to use any phone outside of the house or on a roadway. (Pay-phone)- look it up! :p

So yes, to me - an iPhone is more than I ever hoped to have in a communications tool, and then some. I tried Android first and got tired of crashing, losing all my contacts, crashing, losing all my contacts.. and that was stock boys and girls not any tweaking at all...

My iPhones have remained reliable and very effective at meeting my needs. Now my phone shoots better video than most consumer video cameras and syncs my entire music collection over the air.. and has maps! Have you ever tried to drive while looking for directions on a 4 foot by 4 foot sheet of paper with the city of Houston sprawled all over it at night? Even Apple Maps blows that garbage away.;)

All I want is a few settings to make my notification center somewhat useful, and some custom icons. Is this too much to ask? You tweakers probably would be better served with a Droid.. don't let the door hit ya on the way out!:cool:

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
srf4real, I know exactly wear your coming from the and pretty much agree though I still like to tinker once in a while. WE might be close to the same age there too.. I honestly remember this bad boy all to well. I never owned one cell minutes were way to much for me to rationalize this bad boy!

cellphone_full.jpg

blackburn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Where Judas lost it's boots.
Feedback from people who have had to deal with samsung warranty support points to the fact that very rarely do they ever check the flash counter and they will honor warranties related to hardware defects regardless of your root status.

Well I had (sold it for parts) an android samsung with the touch screen not working at all, they refused to repair it since it had been flashed with an unofficial firmware. Btw I sent it to warranty with the stock firmware without any modification, so either depends on the country or I got unlucky.

Last edited:

Macintsh

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2012
Apple has been closing down the security flaws.

So it has now become too time cosuming to try to crack the OS.

I am still on the 5.1.1 and will not shift anytime soon.

trdspectacoma

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2010
it does give some information on where it leads us to believe that there is atleast something in the next coming months.

I would hope that they would save it for the next release of 6.1 as they wouldn't burn any exploits and we will have to always get our blobs signed. 6.1 is already on another beta and past history shows that we would have one more until GM which is less than a few months. Tethered JB is fine I was running it for at least 4 months on the 4. I just have a battery pack if I know I am not going to have access to power.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
it does give some information on where it leads us to believe that there is atleast something in the next coming months.

I would hope that they would save it for the next release of 6.1 as they wouldn't burn any exploits and we will have to always get our blobs signed. 6.1 is already on another beta and past history shows that we would have one more until GM which is less than a few months. Tethered JB is fine I was running it for at least 4 months on the 4. I just have a battery pack if I know I am not going to have access to power.

Agreed.

Hopefully 6.1 will not drop right away so they we can have the JB ready before 6.1 drops.

That said, I would kill even for a tethered JB at his point. :(

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
yeah the jb is pretty much dead. With a majority of users on iOS 6 with a 4s or 5 there really isn't much to develop for. Even if they do get a jb out tweaks will still have to be updated and recoded

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I tried Android first and got tired of crashing, losing all my contacts, crashing, losing all my contacts.. and that was stock boys and girls not any tweaking at all...

Not sure how long ago that was but I just started using Android recently and its just as smooth as iOS with no lag, crashing, or issues whatsoever. I was always interested in Android but never made the jump due to the issues they had in the past. They've now made huge strides with the OS and have worked out many of the issues and complaints from before.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
it's pretty much decided the jb scene is dead. I'm sure if they all got together and spent 3 days working on solely a jailbreak instead of having a life they could find something that they can put out but people get busy y'know.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
it's pretty much decided the jb scene is dead. I'm sure if they all got together and spent 3 days working on solely a jailbreak instead of having a life they could find something that they can put out but people get busy y'know.

Shame on them having a life those meanies. BTW great info because your a expert on how to find exploits.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Shame on them having a life those meanies. BTW great info because your a expert on how to find exploits.

if all the jb people got together and worked on a jailbreak for 3 days straight I'm sure they could find something. Technically the iPhone 5 is already jailbroken. It's just only for developers.

guitarmandp

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Jailbreaking isn't dead, just less popular. It will be dead when they add activator, bitesms, sbsettings, intelliscreen x, and free tethering to stock iOS.

Also google voice integration and merge are other essential features

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
Not sure how long ago that was but I just started using Android recently and its just as smooth as iOS with no lag, crashing, or issues whatsoever. I was always interested in Android but never made the jump due to the issues they had in the past. They've now made huge strides with the OS and have worked out many of the issues and complaints from before.

It was an early model, HTC Eros and I will give you that they had not yet worked out many kinks! At that time, the iPhone 4 was new and Verizon swapped them out for me.. never looked back or regretted my switch since. All my pcs have been Apple since '98 anyways so it only makes sense...:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.