Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

topdrawer

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2012
And is anyone else annoyed that passbook turns the brightness up to 100% when running?

yes. specially in low light it burns my eyeballs. but i don't use passbook anyway because there isn't a single service in there that i use or even stepped a foot in.

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
yes. specially in low light it burns my eyeballs. but i don't use passbook anyway because there isn't a single service in there that i use or even stepped a foot in.

It turns up brightness to 100% for the barcode scanner to read. It will revert to your original brightness once you quit Passbook.

Which country do you live in ?

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Beyond the fact that all software is half baked...

This rapid adoption is likely a surprise to Apple too. Software in this state is released not so much for the exploited needs as for Apple and the users need. The users here are the corporations that make use of Passbook to increase spend on their offerings. People in these forums are the exploited as they are encouraged via Passbook to take advantage of promotions and such.

I honestly believe that Apples release of Passbook was done so that Apple and the users (the corporations) could better understand what is important, what is needed and where the bugs are. In other words they are learning what Passbook is and what it should be. So yeah it is half baked like many Apple initiatives but is part of the process of getting as many on board as possible.

Footnote:

I'm serious about that exploited bit. I'm constantly seeing people respond to marketing efforts as if they are rats feed cheese. This to me is a sad comment on our current existence where the deal seems to be the thing of value rather than the item offered. Hey it's junk but its 50% off so it has to be a good deal right!
I wanted to like/use it, but there weren't enough retailers for me to be interested. The Starbucks card was nice, but anything else I tried to use (like Target) had me download a separate app first. I'm sure Passbook will be more useful in the future, but I'm tired of Apple putting out half-baked ideas.

hchung

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008
Bluetooth has 79ish radios that run at 1Mhz
NFC has one radio at 13.5ish Mhz

With software any bluetooth device can become a NFC device

Nonsense. There is no software that can be written to get any of the well known Bluetooth chipsets to become an NFC device.

If you can't even identify the carrier frequency, you obviously don't understand.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Passbook is absolutely new technology, it isn't widely supported anywhere! Frankly I don't think anybody expected the rapid uptake it has had because it takes time for developers to get on board and it takes time for users to get on board. Things like Passbook simply can't be implemented overnight by everyone.

Posts like this makes me wish that down voting was available from iPad. I'm setting here just thinking WTF do people expect! Do you really think Apple has magical powers and at the snap of its fingers can get people to adopt their technology? Frankly I haven't used it myself but reports like these make me extremely happy because it removes resistance. That is people in charge seeing strong adoption will be more likely to support Passbook within their organizations.

iTunes Store was spot on from day one. So we're many other iOS apps and the like. In this age if it's not good from day one it will be joked about and disregarded forever. See Apple Maps for more info.

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
iTunes Store was spot on from day one. So we're many other iOS apps and the like. In this age if it's not good from day one it will be joked about and disregarded forever. See Apple Maps for more info.

Welp, apparently there is a Passbook following.

The media likes to hype things up and down to generate traffic but it doesn't mean useful things will be ignored. I wouldn't be surprised if AppleMaps make a come back when/should Apple put in a stellar effort.

Many popular services suffer a period of obscurity or pain too.

Last edited:

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
I don't get peoples affinity towards NFC.... For one bluetooth has the radios to emulate it quite well... Apple just doesn't think its a good idea, period! If they did we'd have it.
Apple has never said that. In fact they have been very coy.
What they need to do to make Passbook more popular, is create a passStore!
Not a new app but a way to purchase tickets and such in-app.... Developers submit their scheme and apple handles the data and monetary transaction.

----------

iTunes Store was spot on from day one.
Not by my measures, it took awhile for iTunes Store to become the go to place for music.
So we're many other iOS apps and the like. In this age if it's not good from day one it will be joked about and disregarded forever. See Apple Maps for more info.

Only somebody truly ignorant about technology would dismiss something new forever. Look at Mac OS or iOS both of which sucked at introduction and in the case of iOS got worst before it got better.

----------

I use it and actually know quite a few people who love it. But it does need more support. For example, I bought movie tickets today on Fandango and was excited to try it at the theater---unfortunately the theater I'm going to does not support mobile tickets. My local Walgreens, Starbucks, and Target all support Passbook though, and it comes in very handy sometimes.

You should be happy it has gotten the adoption it has. It is still very early for such a new technology.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Where are your sources ?

iPhone 5 is already pretty packed. Some had earlier battery issues. Not incorporating NFC may be a tech, security and/or schedule concern. Having prototypes doesn't really mean anything. It's like saying Google has new servers and Amazon has new books.

Credit Cards have "blink" RFID chips, which aren't too far off from NFC tech. It's tiny, taking little space which is why it's been widely used for many years in Japan and the E.U. in many mobile devices.

Sources? Sorry, not "Deep Throat" :p I can tell you that [as with any iPhone release] many prototypes were tested, and NFC was implemented in just about every prototype. If you've been following the discussion simply online, you'll have learned that Master Card was very vocal about NFC deployment with the release of a popular mobile phone. A simple google search will lead you to the quotes from various executives regarding the matter just before the iPhone 5 was released.

Someone joked that Apple demanded 30% on all iPhone NFC transactions with Visa and MasterCard, you aren't that far off.

For those stating NFC is more difficult than a RFID, read on the matter. Here's a very simple start:

Difference Between RFID and NFC

Summary:
1.NFC is just an extension to RFID technology
2.RFID is capable of accepting and transmitting beyond a few meters while NFC is restricted to within 4 inches
3.RFID has a wide range of uses while NFC is usually used in cases where security is needed
4.Some mobile phones are equipped with NFC

Read more: Difference Between RFID and NFC | Difference Between | RFID vs NFC http://www.differencebetween.net/technology/difference-between-rfid-and-nfc/#ixzz2FeOnTUZc

RF waves are used to transmit information across very long distances, and RFID is no different. The RF waves can reach very long distances especially when powered. This kind of range is very desirable in certain applications like animal tracking where the animal being tracked might move a couple of kilometers. But this type of range is not desirable in applications like cash cards or passports. Malicious people can receive your information and clone it into another tag and use it for themselves. This is where NFC comes in.

Read more: Difference Between RFID and NFC | Difference Between | RFID vs NFC http://www.differencebetween.net/technology/difference-between-rfid-and-nfc/#ixzz2FeOzXHMY

The main reason [and I'll refrain from stating "only reason" for those who are keen to attack on MacRumors] that Apple released a non-NFC iPhone was due to their demands with the credit companies. MasterCard has been on record that they had NFC systems set for deployment, such a brazen multi-million dollar investment surely wouldn't hinge on mere speculation.

Last edited:

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
That isn't even possible.

I think it was another great idea with a poor execution. For the apps and businesses that support it, it works great. Unfortunately, the opportunities are few and far between. Apple should have let more companies behind the curtain so they had something to offer at launch.
It is far better for Apple to do what they are doing which is to let the app mature in public. It would have simply taken forever to satisfy thousands of special interests.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
Someone joked that Apple demanded 30% on all iPhone NFC transactions with Visa and MasterCard, you aren't that far off.

Do tell more. Apple is completely bonkers if it thinks it can do that. May as well just add a 30% Apple Tax for everything you buy.

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
Credit Cards have "blink" RFID chips, which aren't too far off from NFC tech. It's tiny, taking little space which is why it's been widely used for many years in Japan and the E.U. in many mobile devices.

Sources? Sorry, not "Deep Throat" :p I can tell you that [as with any iPhone release] many prototypes were tested, and NFC was implemented in just about every prototype. If you've been following the discussion simply online, you'll have learned that Master Card was very vocal about NFC deployment with the release of a popular mobile phone. A simple google search will lead you to the quotes from various executives regarding the matter just before the iPhone 5 was released.

For those stating NFC is more difficult than a RFID, read on the matter. Here's a very simple start:

Difference Between RFID and NFC

The main reason [and I'll refrain from stating "only reason" for those who are keen to attack on MacRumors] that Apple released a non-NFC iPhone was due to their demands with the credit companies. MasterCard has been on record that they had NFC systems set for deployment, such a brazen multi-million dollar investment surely wouldn't hinge on mere speculation.

It's just an interview hint from a MasterCard executive.

Doesn't tell me why Apple should include NFC for the card companies when Square, PayPal, and even the telcos are interested to offer their own mobile payment solutions, or figure out how they can monetize NFC.

For Apple to implement NFC, they will need to evaluate their own needs first. If MC does not offer any incentive, Apple will simply follow their own development paths (more security, lower cost implementations, more time to optimize power). They bought a fingerprint recognition company a few months back. perhaps they have their own integration plan. NFC payment will take a few years anyway. Having a 4S, 5 or 6 prototypes are just business as usual since there is no urgent need.

Since it's MC's future, they will go ahead to implement NFC merchant solutions with or without Apple. You are giving Apple too much credit here. I don't see Apple holding them up. We can have QR code, NFC and other payment methods based on specific budget and needs.

In the early dotcom boom days, Visa and MasterCard wanted the Internet to standardize on the over engineered SET specs that went no where. Internet commerce flourished anyhow. I just don't see the card companies' solution as the only viable one.

Last edited:

sitsonthefence

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2012
London, UK
I'm always surprised at people being surprised that new software has challenges at the outset.

It is actually rare it lands fully, and takes some time to reach full potential. Until then some people will get benefit and others will wait.

I'd love to find the forum first discussing iTunes. Wonder what people thought of its first incarnation...

Iiiirvin

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2009

This is the most bs post I have ever seen in here. There was just another article today on another Mac site that said the complete opposite!! And if we're all honest here, we know that it hasn't been useful to barely any of us. Just look at the comments! Embarrassing.

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
What's so embarrassing ?

Discount coupons are only useful if you buy stuff. If people don't look for deals, they won't even consider Passbook.

What is the link to the other Mac site ?

I found this one instead:
http://www.timesunion.com/business/...d-Mobile-Marketing-is-in-Reach-of-4134392.php

There is also a link to Apple's Passbook patents today.

And here's a new article on a self-create Passbook Tesco card for folks in UK:
http://thenextweb.com/apple/2012/12...-clubcard-is-now-unofficially-passbook-ready/

Apparently, a Tesco R&D guru is impressed.

Last edited:

johnpaul191

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2002
Philadelphia PA
The Fandango one is a good example. I bought tickets with the app for a film, and the ticket was pushed to passbook. When I arrived at the theater, my phone knew I was at the theater for that movie, so passbook automatically will show the QR code even when the screen is locked.

Now that I have things in my passbook (like a Starbucks gift card), I don't have that link to the passbook store anymore, so I wouldn't even know what else added support for it.

----------

This is the most bs post I have ever seen in here. There was just another article today on another Mac site that said the complete opposite!! And if we're all honest here, we know that it hasn't been useful to barely any of us. Just look at the comments! Embarrassing.

I think it depends. It will be really useful for tickets for airplanes, trains, movies, concerts etc. Supermarket/pharmacy loyalty cards and gym membership cards are a great use, but those people probably love having you dangle a little ad for them off your keychain. The stores have to see a bigger advantage to you installing their app than they get from you advertising them everywhere you go.

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
I only have the starbucks app on it
And funny thing is when I went to try it out and get a coffee, their scanner machines were down and the girl at the counter had to write down the barcode digits to charge me manually hahaha.

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
I only have the starbucks app on it
And funny thing is when I went to try it out and get a coffee, their scanner machines were down and the girl at the counter had to write down the barcode digits to charge me manually hahaha.

Yes, credit card charging can be done manually when their network is down too. When NFC fails, the merchant will fallback on similar manual procedures.

The QR code digits simply identify your account number. The cashier can enter it into her cash register to fish your record.

NOS2U

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2012
The only knock I have on passbook is that Apple has decided to only support QR, Aztec, and PDF417 formatted barcodes. Many establishments have the old laser scanners that can only detect one dimensional barcodes. Either establishments need to upgrade to an optical scanner or Apple needs to include 1D bare code in their passbook app. For now my physical gift cards will continue to sit collecting dust......:p

Dionte

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
Detroit
Target coupon is useless, I never save anything. Walgreens one does not add up my points. They do pop up when I am in the stores tho.

joegullo

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2012
I wish Apple would expand on this feature. I definitely think the "digital wallet" is going to be the future of how society pays for things.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
The only knock I have on passbook is that Apple has decided to only support QR, Aztec, and PDF417 formatted barcodes. Many establishments have the old laser scanners that can only detect one dimensional barcodes. Either establishments need to upgrade to an optical scanner or Apple needs to include 1D bare code in their passbook app. For now my physical gift cards will continue to sit collecting dust......:p

Lasers are hit and miss, often not reading from an LCD screen and causing confusion.

TLS1979

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2010
London,UK
i like the idea of this app but....

there are not many apps out there which i can i use in the uk, and thats a shame, would be nice to have all my points cards in there, sainsburys,tesco, boots, and so on, but non of them have even maked an attempt to do so!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.