Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I can't figure it out. When I open passbook, it just shows me a link to the app store. And I have some passbook apps but I can't figure out how to do anything with them in passbook. I like the idea, but they need to work on usability.

Yeah, Passbook isn't the "entry point" for acquiring content, it's pushed through apps (and remote services). So most apps that support it, also duplicate the core function of generating the 2D barcode.

It's really just an interface/API for aggregating passes into a single location, keeping the UI/UX consistent and providing extra services like geolocation awareness.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Far fewer tips. It needs a tip function.

Totally. I've said that about the Starbucks app (even pre-Passbook) for months and months. Using my phone to pay is simple, I like the single place to check for rewards (and freebies), but I like to leave a buck or two, especially with a food order, so that means still having to open a wallet and deal with cash.

I suspect since tipping isn't really formalized (some locations might not even allow it), and they'd have to reconcile the money and deal with distribution based on worker's schedules, potentially deal with taxes, etc., they just don't want to get involved.

mariana888

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2010
UK
Yeap, lack of an "a-ha!" user experience is the single, biggest issue with Passbook today.

Not the easiest thing to work out. Somebody just told me how to add my Starbucks card in the passbook, I didn't know you had to "export the data" into the app,
However, now I understand it I want other apps to work on it.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
I don't really understand what Passbook is supposed to do. I had a Living Social coupon that I had to pull up in the Living Social app. Only then did it ask if I wanted to place it into Passbook and it did. But if I have to have the original app anyway, WTF is the point? Tried it with Fandango too. Had to pull up the app first. I'm not really seeing any benefit here. Maybe other services work better with it?

They can also be emailed to you or downloaded from a web page.

knemonic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
I've used it with Amtrak and I prefer it, hands down.

I don't have to print out boarding passes, remember to bring them with me, nice and easy, they scan it and you're done. I don't even think they ask for ID anymore with these.

I guess it could be a little more automated, for example, when a ticket/GC is bought, the app automatically asks you would you like to add this to passbook? Or maybe the app could even add it automatically to passbook. I don't find it difficult to send the ticket to passbook simply cause if you buy something and want it available in another app, you have to initiate that action, which seems like logic to me. If I want to open a pdf I get in an email, I have to choose Open In and choose my app, so the intuitiveness is the same here imo.

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
Not the easiest thing to work out. Somebody just told me how to add my Starbucks card in the passbook, I didn't know you had to "export the data" into the app,
However, now I understand it I want other apps to work on it.

Lady, that somebody is me !

----------

I've used it with Amtrak and I prefer it, hands down.

I don't have to print out boarding passes, remember to bring them with me, nice and easy, they scan it and you're done. I don't even think they ask for ID anymore with these.

I guess it could be a little more automated, for example, when a ticket/GC is bought, the app automatically asks you would you like to add this to passbook? Or maybe the app could even add it automatically to passbook. I don't find it difficult to send the ticket to passbook simply cause if you buy something and want it available in another app, you have to initiate that action, which seems like logic to me. If I want to open a pdf I get in an email, I have to choose Open In and choose my app, so the intuitiveness is the same here imo.

Yap, I like the Amtrak one too.

DudeDad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2009
So far, pretty useless and seems complicated. Maybe it will catch on in a year or two.

It's quite easy and handy....especially when I drive up to Walgreen's and a notification appears on my screen asking if I want to go to passbook. Just need to be able to add more than one location to each passbook entry because many of us go to more than one location for the same retailer...

Also, check out coupons.com....many coupons you can send to Passbook....I made a homescreen icon for it, check it before I shop, then send the coupons to passbook...easy!

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Stupid question, just to confirm what I'm finding:
This only runs on the iPhone or iPod touch, not iPad - right?
Seems odd that an app be small-screen-only (no 1x/2x-on-tablet); I carry the iPad everywhere and have a dumbphone, and would like to use Passbook.

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
Stupid question, just to confirm what I'm finding:
This only runs on the iPhone or iPod touch, not iPad - right?
Seems odd that an app be small-screen-only; I carry the iPad everywhere and have a dumbphone, and would like to use Passbook.

Yes, no iPad version... yet ?

I doesn't make sense to keep it off iPad, 'specially when I have an LTE one. I suspect they may be working on an extended version for iPad. I would like to think so. :p

akac

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2003
Colorado
Wow a lot of people who don't seem to get how it works, but that's OK. For those of us who use it nearly daily its fantastic. I use it as a constant AMEX balance update, Starbucks, Walgreens, Fandango, and Target. I'd like to use it more. When I fly, I expect to be able to use this for boarding passes.

For those people who feel Apple should've waited, its a chicken/egg problem - if Apple waited, who would add support? Also its up to the Pass purveyor how it gets to you: website, email, or app.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Passbook is a failure. I use google wallet several times a day as it works anywhere that takes rfid credit cards and nfc payments which is pretty much anywhere that has credit card machines from the last 8 years.

KanosWRX

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Right, just like the internet. When if first came out we could only send text messages to other universities. Totally useless, forget the internet, Pass Fail!

Wow equating Passbook to the internet itself or even SMS? Seriously its not on that level at all.

moderately

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010
Use Money every day

I've found it's easier to use "money" to pay for my Starbucks than apps or passbook. I hand over cash or my card and it pays for the drink. Putting money into something limited to one store or item as always seemed a bit of an annoying gimmick to me.

It transfers quickly and is soft to the touch.

markm929

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2010
It's quite easy and handy....especially when I drive up to Walgreen's and a notification appears on my screen asking if I want to go to passbook. Just need to be able to add more than one location to each passbook entry because many of us go to more than one location for the same retailer...

Also, check out coupons.com....many coupons you can send to Passbook....I made a homescreen icon for it, check it before I shop, then send the coupons to passbook...easy!

This is the Walgreens app developer's issue. The Starbucks passbook allows the association with several locations and will pop up on the lock screen when you arrive at any of them. Walgreens just needs to add the multiple favorite locations ability to their's.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
"Apple just doesn't think its a good idea, period! If they did we'd have it."

If anyone was thinking the samsung commercials were an exaggeration here is proof of it being true.

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
"Apple just doesn't think its a good idea, period! If they did we'd have it."

If anyone was thinking the samsung commercials were an exaggeration here is proof of it being true.

Well... That's not the complete picture. Samsung is suffering from a major exploit blunder now. Apple may be working on a better NFC and even proper wireless charging. Usually, they are more concerned with security than Samsung.

I would hate to have my cellphone exploited with NFC payment enabled.

I have wireless charging. It's not that worthwhile. Also broke down after a few months. Hope Apple can make these technologies mass market for real, instead of just being marketing bullet points, plus without high consumer risks.

Passbook is out early to build the base without the risks.

----------

This is the Walgreens app developer's issue. The Starbucks passbook allows the association with several locations and will pop up on the lock screen when you arrive at any of them. Walgreens just needs to add the multiple favorite locations ability to their's.

Yes, I believe it's up to 10 locations per pass. And you -- the merchant -- can update it.

Last edited:

jicon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2004
Toronto, ON
I've been trying to use it, but only been able to once, for a movie ticket points system with Cineplex in Canada... Just difficult to scan the code for whatever reason.

I've TRIED to use it for flights on Air Canada and American Airlines, but for some reason I haven't had success using the check in feature 24 hours before. At first I thought it was an international flight issue, but on subsequent trips now my name, (which is very common) is apparently on a watch list, so I can't use the app, or the check in kiosks at airports anyway.

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
I've been trying to use it, but only been able to once, for a movie ticket points system with Cineplex in Canada... Just difficult to scan the code for whatever reason.

I've TRIED to use it for flights on Air Canada and American Airlines, but for some reason I haven't had success using the check in feature 24 hours before. At first I thought it was an international flight issue, but on subsequent trips now my name, (which is very common) is apparently on a watch list, so I can't use the app, or the check in kiosks at airports anyway.

As I understand, the merchant should use a 2D barcode reader, not the dated 1D (red laser) barcode reader. Most retailers have switched.

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL
With Passbook, it seems like a useless feature, until you you actually use it.

I've had a great experience with it, works flawlessly for me, especially with managing my giftcards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.