Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

witmvpness6

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2010
Just thought I would let everyone know I upgraded my iPhone 4 to a 5 with verizon today (finally), and I still have unlimited data. I upgraded at Best Buy over their Best Buy Mobile customer service line, and did in store pickup. The rep told me nothing was changing with my plan. I was skeptical, but after my upgrade I checked my verizon account, and sure enough I still have unlimited.

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Just thought I would let everyone know I upgraded my iPhone 4 to a 5 with verizon today (finally), and I still have unlimited data. I upgraded at Best Buy over their Best Buy Mobile customer service line, and did in store pickup. The rep told me nothing was changing with my plan. I was skeptical, but after my upgrade I checked my verizon account, and sure enough I still have unlimited.

So you must have paid full price for you phone

witmvpness6

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2010
Nope, paid 150 dollars for a 16gb black plus tax. Just checked my bank account as well. My eligibility date is now in 2014 so I definitely used my upgrade...

witmvpness6

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2010
I was just eligible for an upgrade today. I called best buy mobile 1-877-702-2211. Told them I would like to upgrade my phone. They checked my eligibility, and asked me what device. I told them the iPhone 5 and they found the store closest to me for in store pickup. I placed the order, went to the best buy, picked up my phone, and was on my way.

While on the phone they asked which line (I have a single line plan), and said since I'm upgrading there will be no changes in my plan. I was worried about the unlimited data but sure enough it's still there.

http://i46.tinypic.com/2z80ow2.png

witmvpness6

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2010
Would they legally be allowed to do that, after telling me my plan was not changing as I was signing the new contract?

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Don't be shocked if it does change in the future.

Called Best Buy twice and both times they said to call VZW and ask if I could upgrade my line and keep my data plan. Both times VZW said no.

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Called Best Buy twice and both times they said to call VZW and ask if I could upgrade my line and keep my data plan. Both times VZW said no.

Thats why I wouldn't be surprised if it changed in a couple days. Best Buy can say anything but the contract is with Verizon. I'm pretty sure all their printed documentation will state that if you have a unlimited account and upgrade you will be forced off that plan.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Thats why I wouldn't be surprised if it changed in a couple days. Best Buy can say anything but the contract is with Verizon. I'm pretty sure all their printed documentation will state that if you have a unlimited account and upgrade you will be forced off that plan.

Actually twice Best Buy told me I would lose my UL data if I upgrade.

Yes when you upgrade a line that equals extending the contract and when you extend a contract you lose your unlimited data. Period.

iDuel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Greece/USA
You will most likely lose the Unlimited Data after the billing cycle ends. Even if BestBuy told you one thing, you signed a contract with Verizon not BestBuy Mobile.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.