Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. RPG

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
I need a Mac so I can develop for the iOS market, (already have an iPhone 5), but I need a cheap Mac.

Can I find a MacBook for $400?

Mr. RPG

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Is it possible to get a relatively new Macbook? Like from 2011?

Mr. RPG

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Should I just begin developing for Android?

I don't have the kind of money to shell out that sort of money for a Mac.. but an Android tablet shouldn't be too expensive.

Mr. RPG

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
What is your goal? Why are you doing this in the first place?

Are you developing an app for fun? A personal learning experience? For a college class? To expand your professional skill set?

For a personal learning experience and for some money.

I could always use the money I make off the Android app for the iOS store anyway, right?

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
For a personal learning experience and for some money.
How much time and money are you willing to invest in each of those? The money appears to be the primary limiting factor at this time, so how much time are you willing to invest to make the money?

I could always use the money I make off the Android app for the iOS store anyway, right?

I don't understand the question. You seem to be asking about how you can spend your profits.

There are no restrictions on where you spend money made from an Android app. The iOS store doesn't care where you get your money.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Making money from developing either Android or IOS apps is not easy. There are already a gazillion apps for mobile and you would not only have to develop a really good app, but sell it to enough people to make it worth it. Don't forget that you're not going to be able to sell the apps for a lot of money each and that's if you even sell any.

Mr. RPG

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Would it be easier to just Virtual Machine Mac OS X on my PC by buying the Snow Leopard $19.99 OS DVD from Apple's Store

Is this against Apple's terms or whatever?

Lunfai

macrumors 68000
Nov 21, 2010
Sheffield
Would it be easier to just Virtual Machine Mac OS X on my PC by buying the Snow Leopard $19.99 OS DVD from Apple's Store

Is this against Apple's terms or whatever?

You can't install OS X on PC's, and if you do manage it, it won't be the latest XCODE. (It will develop apps for iOS 4 or 5.).

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I just sold my 2008 white macbook for $500. So a 2011 for $400 will be virtually impossible, Macs hold their value extremely well

A smart buyer should be able to do better than that. Used Macs hold their value below a certain amount. Once you get below $900 or so, the dropoff is sometimes much slower, as you're no longer in a price range where Apple offers refurbished or lower end models. If you're talking about the 15" machines, it becomes an issue of whether a new lower end machine outpaces the more expensive one from a generation or two back. I'd say you did much better than the buyer on that sale.

Mr. RPG

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Actually, you can run OS X 10.6.8 Server in Virtual Machine, as permitted by the EULA. Of course, you can Hackintosh, but that is a whole different story.

Is either method inexpensive and permitted by the EULA?

I just want an inexpensive way to develop for the iOS market.

Like I said, I have an iPhone and ways to develop for it, but I do not have the Mac needed.. and while I love the Mac operating system, the hardware itself is over expensive ************.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Is either method inexpensive and permitted by the EULA?

I just want an inexpensive way to develop for the iOS market.

Like I said, I have an iPhone and ways to develop for it, but I do not have the Mac needed.. and while I love the Mac operating system, the hardware itself is over expensive ************.

As I stated, it is permitted to run 10.6 Server in a Virtual Machine. However, it isn't cheap, as you have to buy a licence to Snow Leopard Server.
Hackintoshing is sort of a gray area, but you typically have to build your own computers, and it has many limitations.

Mr. RPG

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
As I stated, it is permitted to run 10.6 Server in a Virtual Machine. However, it isn't cheap, as you have to buy a licence to Snow Leopard Server.
Hackintoshing is sort of a gray area, but you typically have to build your own computers, and it has many limitations.

Hm.

So the only thing I can do is buy a Mac?

So expensive... :(

What would you guys suggest?

Last edited:

mfram

Contributor
Jan 23, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
Even if you manage to get a cheap Mac, realize that you must be a registered iPhone developer in order to put apps on devices as well as the App Store. That's $99 per year. If you are concerned about the $400 for the Mac, then I bet the extra $99 will blow your budget.

Mr. RPG

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Even if you manage to get a cheap Mac, realize that you must be a registered iPhone developer in order to put apps on devices as well as the App Store. That's $99 per year. If you are concerned about the $400 for the Mac, then I bet the extra $99 will blow your budget.

Not at all, because it lasts an entire year.. And it pays for all of your downloads and everything else.

The $99 annual fee doesn't really concern me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.