Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Timur

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
To each their own, but that's so strange to me. The OS manages all those things.
Except when it does not.

I think that's where Apple's stance comes from on the matter. Unless an app is badly misbehaving (i.e. stuck or locked up somehow), I've never felt the need to "close all my apps" (most of those icons are just save states, FYI).
Three days ago an Apple Genius told me to do so. Using iOS 5 on a non S iPhone 4 was ridiculously slow sometimes (like trying to write a simple text message), iOS 6 got better. Closing apps can help with that.

Brightness is automatic.
But too bright in darkness and too dark in bright light.

And I'm not sure I've ever turned off my data (except when overseas) or wifi.
We turn on flight mode when going to bed and playing some last Bubbles or Solitaire game and the like before falling to sleep. Not only does it spare us some microwave (2.4 gHz) exposure while having the phones lying close to our heads, but it also allows our Wifi router to turn off unused Wifi during the night and keep people from ringing us out of bed.

Apple's power management and battery life is best in class, so you can just leave it on and not think about it.
Switching from GSM to 3G considerably lowers battery life (aka time until you need to reload the battery). Most of the time I don't need 3G at all, because everything text (e-mail, iMessage, Whatsapp, etc) gets along fine via GSM and voice quality often is better, too. But whenever I need more bandwidth for web access or specific apps I have to dive several sub-categories deep into the preferences, doing several clicks and even scrolling around some just to turn 3G on/off.

Android users sometimes like to point out how much micromanaging they can do with all these different toggles and background apps, and I'm usually just wondering 'you have to think about that stuff?'
We just broke the front-glass of one of our iPhone (4S). It cost us 200 EUR to get a replacement unit. The Apple Store (Genius) specifically emphasized that this would also give us a brand new battery. Keeping battery cycles low means to save money and generally it's more fun to work on a loaded battery instead of having to keep an eye on load all too often (when everything is activated). Exchanging a battery on an iOS device isn't easy peasy.

And there's lots of micro-management on iOS devices, too. For some time I had to switch off "Time Zone" GPS access, diving deep into sub-menus, to keep both iPhones and iPad from draining their battery by keeping the GPS module active all day long. Obviously a bug, but one I could workaround by having access to the necessary micro-management tools.

Last edited:

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Except when it does not.

Three days ago an Apple Genius told me to do so. Using iOS 5 on a non S iPhone 4 was ridiculously slow sometimes (like trying to write a simple text message), iOS 6 got better. Closing apps can help with that.

But too bright in darkness and too dark in bright light.

We turn on flight mode when going to bed and playing some last Bubbles or Solitaire game and the like before falling to sleep. Not only does it spare us some microwave (2.4 gHz) exposure while having the phones lying close to our heads, but it also allows our Wifi router to turn off unused Wifi during the night and keep people from ringing us out of bed.

Switching from GSM to 3G considerably lowers battery life (aka time until you need to reload the battery). Most of the time I don't need 3G at all, because everything text (e-mail, iMessage, Whatsapp, etc) gets along fine via GSM and voice quality often is better, too. But whenever I need more bandwidth for web access or specific apps I have to dive several sub-categories deep into the preferences, doing several clicks and even scrolling around some just to turn 3G on/off.

We just broke the front-glass of one of our iPhone (4S). It cost us 200 EUR to get a replacement unit. The Apple Store (Genius) specifically emphasized that this would also give us a brand new battery. Keeping battery cycles low means to save money and generally it's more fun to work on a loaded battery instead of having to keep an eye on load all too often (when everything is activated). Exchanging a battery on an iOS device isn't easy peasy.

And there's lots of micro-management on iOS devices, too. For some time I had to switch off "Time Zone" GPS access, diving deep into sub-menus, to keep both iPhones and iPad from draining their battery by keeping the GPS module active all day long. Obviously a bug, but one I could workaround by having access to the necessary micro-management tools.
Wow, you micromanage your iOS devices way more than needed. I leave everything on and generally only need to charge at night unless I've been playing a graphic intensive game. Of course I'm not afraid of microwaves either.

I also don't ever switch 3G off as EDGE (at&t) is just about useless even for text, that's if you can find EDGE anymore.

CQd44

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2009
Edinburg, Texas
Well, at least some people will have the option to use this if they want it. If you don't want it, just don't use it.

Personally, on the android side of things, I like having easy access to turning off my wifi and mobile data. I just swipe down on the right side of my notification bar and bam, all my customizable toggles.

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
Brilliant, and shows exactly the reason why so many people are disappointed with iOS and migrating elsewhere - Apple simply doesn't have the innovative edge anymore and they are happy to pander to the LCD.

As a matter of interest, I see many people making statements such as "it almost makes me wanna jailbreak, but I won't" - why? Why would you NOT do something which only improves the experience and has no drawbacks whatsoever?

Timur

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
Wow, you micromanage your iOS devices way more than needed.
No I use it more than you and in more diverse situations.

I leave everything on and generally only need to charge at night unless I've been playing a graphic intensive game.
I don't want to charge every night and I don't want the screen to go black when I need it for emergency situations (including giving customers remote desktop support when really needed).

Of course I'm not afraid of microwaves either.
Not too much afraid either, but if it can easily be avoided with two clicks then why keep the microwave running right beside your sleeping head?! And why waste energy when it's not needed?! Not to mention that we have a newborn beside out bed (and phones).

I also don't ever switch 3G off as EDGE (at&t) is just about useless even for text, that's if you can find EDGE anymore.
That's nonsense, sorry. I am using _non_ EDGE GSM connections for various text services daily and it's enough for about everything text (including one Exchange and several IMAP based e-mail accounts). And since I am not using Push, but pull e-mails every 15 minutes all accounts get pulled pretty much at the same time even, without problems.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
AWESOME!!!

Can't wait for JB 6.0.1

I'm Nit Picking here but that 3G Toggle Icon is so antiquated.

Why can't this developer and other developers ax the 3G icon and just make a Generalized "Data" Icon?

adamtore

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2011
Sweden
And you just got reported genius.

I don't know about Steve inventing the smartphone, but he certainly made a smartphone so good that google and Samsung was so desperate to copy. Truth hurts doesn't it?

Guess you don't know much at all but trolling around. If you knew something you would know Google doesn't make smartphones. And when you fail at such simple fact then I know nothing you say can be taken seriously!

Thanks for the laugh tho!

Merry x-mas to you and your whole special-ed class!

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Does LG, Samsung or HTC ring a bell?

Nexus is a Google-brand phone. LG, Samsung & HTC make the devices.

iPhone is an Apple-brand phone. Samsung & Foxconn (and others) make the devices.

Yes, Google is in the hardware business with the Nexus line of devices.

Get it?

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
Not sure I like that design. It looks really messy compared to the jailbreak mentioned in the article. Also, what happens when you have more than x number of apps that fit in the boxes you've set?

PS: I'm typing this as constructive criticism, not hate! Just my personal thoughts!

Constructive criticism is more than welcome :) Thanks for your input.

In this case there would only be the number you see there as I find it very rare that people would swipe numerous times through previously opened apps just to switch when they could much more easily just open the app if it had been a while since they used it.

I was going for unifying iOS and OS X with the Mission Control feature for multi-tasking.

I like the jailbreak but I think there are still too many hidden features that require additional swipes when that was the problem they tried to get rid of with the current solution to begin with. And now they are adding vertical swipes on top of that witch seems nuts!

I think quick access settings should be in notification center as a widget and multi-tasking should ONLY be multi-tasking. That just keeps things much more simple and clean. When you put them together it is too chaotic. I would bet anything that if and when Apple implements quick access settings they will indeed be as a widget in the notification center! It just makes perfect sense.

----------

Apple has used ideas from jailbreak community plenty of times before. Wouldn't be surprised if they hire the guys who made it to work on a future release.

----------

I like this design. I have always wished I could swipe up to bring up the multitasking bar. A multitouch swipe up for this "mission control" type interface would be cool too.

Thanks :) I would love it as well. I'm not saying Apple needs to get bezel gesture happy like RIM lol, but a simple swipe up like the opposite of Notification Center just seems so logical and elegant! I hope they do it.

Oh, and move the Notification Center UNDERNEATH the home screen instead of on top. The over the top thing is inconsistent with everything else in the OS and UI paradigms they have created :rolleyes:

----------

You realize there's like 0% real world applicability to seeing 12 apps since only a few would be in memory..

Please elaborate!

Right now you can easily access more than 12 apps in the multi-tasking tray. I'm assuming you are referring to the fact that my design also features a thumbnail of the window state.

Can you expound on why that is a problem with the way iOS works or how it wouldn't be a simple change in caching thumbnails for the last 12 apps that have been opened?

Morshu9001

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
the capital of Assyria
- Can take advantage of elongated iPhone 5 screen.
- There is no iPhone 5 jailbreak yet.

Oh well. The jailbreak community is a great place for Apple to get ideas for iOS! I hope it stays alive.

----------

Guess you don't know much at all but trolling around. If you knew something you would know Google doesn't make smartphones. And when you fail at such simple fact then I know nothing you say can be taken seriously!

Thanks for the laugh tho!

Merry x-mas to you and your whole special-ed class!

Google does "make" smartphones. They're Google-branded but made by Samsung. Then again, many iPhone components are made by Samsung or Sharp.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
Umm...no. Did you watch the video or at least read anything? There are gestures (e.g., swipe down on an app to close), enhancements (like prompting you to close Music, Spotify, or other apps if they're currently "active," a mistake I've made several times; or letting you close all at once), and more toggle buttons (e.g., Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and so on, in addition to just screen lock, volume, and whatnot).

Something tells me it's a bit more complicated than Apple would implement, but there are some nice ideas.

Yes i watched the video. My comment was a nod to the overhyped response this tweak is getting. It simply doesn't add that much. It is basically the same task switcher with a few "enhancements".

I think it's very typical of the jailbreak community to get overly excited about such minor things because they are used to the poor overall quality of apps/tweaks available in that disgusting mess of a place called Cydia.

I don't think jailbreaking is a bad thing and I understand, to an extent, the limitations of developing non-official apps. And I think you should be able to do whatever you want with something that you own. I would just like to see better, more functional tweaks and apps rather than developers releasing apps on Cydia whose main feature is they can't be on the real App Store rather than them offering some great, novel feature or profoundly different way of doing things (very few apps are in this category on Cydia, unfortuntaely).

Morshu9001

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
the capital of Assyria
How ironic, you do realize google is the company coming up with 'me too' products right?

- Google drive (ripoff of dropbox)
- Google currents (flipboard wannabe)
- Google now (siri+passbook ripoff)
- Google music (iTunes match)
..boy the list goes on and on
-

I thought Google Drive would be good. It's a huge knockoff of Dropbox, and a cheap (bad quality) one too. I'm disappointed because I was looking forward to switching over and getting 10GB instead of 2GB, and now it looks like I'll have to stay with Dropbox. One thing that should have been on the list is Google Play, by the way.

Google doesn't really have much innovation except in the area of web searches, cloud documents, and web-based email (pointless anyway due to OSX Mail and Outlook and Thunderbird).

----------

Watching a hollywood flick then claiming others should learn history is even bigger fail.

???
Go read any book about the matter. The Macintosh OS was hardly anything like what Xerox had. The only thing Apple stole was the basic idea of a GUI operating system. You might as well call Tesla Motors a copycat company because they stole the idea of electric cars from someone else.

King Shady

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2010
San Jose, CA
lol @ the idiots claiming Google doesn't innovate. I love Google and Apple, both produce their own innovations. Google is making mind-blowing technology (Project Glass) and Apple is making consumer electronics that are widespread and well-received (The Retina MacBook Pro is one of the greatest innovations in my opinion). To claim that Google doesn't innovate is absolutely disgusting and absurd. BTW Google Now is an extension of Google Search, not a clone of Siri like Samsung's ******** (and Google Now works damn well).

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
lol @ the idiots claiming Google doesn't innovate. I love Google and Apple, both produce their own innovations. Google is making mind-blowing technology (Project Glass) and Apple is making consumer electronics that are widespread and well-received (The Retina MacBook Pro is one of the greatest innovations in my opinion). To claim that Google doesn't innovate is absolutely disgusting and absurd. BTW Google Now is an extension of Google Search, not a clone of Siri like Samsung's ******** (and Google Now works damn well).

Project glass...you mean the vaporware that Brin spent an hour showing off and the only feature that he showed was the camera taking horrible pictures and videos?

I can do that with cheap ebay glasses that have video cams embedded in them.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010

Remember, this is an Apple site. We're not suppose to like Google and Android things. ;)

People honestly need to see what Android 4.2 Jellybean is offering. Its quite amazing how far Google has pushed Android. Its defiantly a lot more than Apple has been pushing iOS. I think its safe to say that iOS 6 was not what people were looking for. They messed up big time with its most important feature (Maps) and the rest of the tiny, uninteresting features just couldn't make it up.

Forstall being fired was a good thing for Apple. I hope Apple takes iOS a little more seriously with iOS 7. Can't wait to see what WWDC 2013 will hold, but if Apple doesn't step up, there's plenty of alternative options now compared to 5 years ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.