Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patentlawyer

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2012
What a dishonest representation to make. S3 and 4S were released within a 6 months of each other and at the time the statistics are from, both were the flagship phone in each of the companies lineups.

Galaxy S2 was released yearly a year and a half before iPhone5 and was a discontinued and superseded model.

:confused::confused: the 5 was released 4 months after the S3, and very obviously "superseded" the 4S...talk about dishonest representations!

Are you suggesting that the 4S, released 6 months BEFORE the 4S was apple's flagship as opposed to the 5 released 4 months AFTER the S3? Come on...you can do better than that!

Last edited:

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
:confused::confused: the 5 was released 4 months after the S3, and very obviously "superseded" the 4S...talk about dishonest representations!

Let me spell it out for you.

The quarter year in which the Samsung Galaxy S3 outsold the iPhone, the iPhone 5 was not on the market yet so the 4S was the most current iPhone on the market.

Secondly, check your post. You were asking to compare the iPhone to the Galaxy S2, not the S3. Typo or what?

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire

Are you suggesting that the 4S, released 6 months BEFORE the 4S was apple's flagship as opposed to the 5 released 4 months AFTER the S3? Come on...you can do better than that!

What was Apple's flagship phone when the Samsung Galaxy S3 was released?

patentlawyer

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2012
What was Apple's flagship phone when the Samsung Galaxy S3 was released?

The 4s, but how does that matter? This data was collected in the quarter where the 5 was released and undoubtedly ppl were waiting for it.

Tell me, were you amazed that the 4s outsold the s2, in the quarter that the s3 was released? If not, why?

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
The 4s, but how does that matter? This data was collected in the quarter where the 5 was released and undoubtedly ppl were waiting for it.

Tell me, were you amazed that the 4s outsold the s2, in the quarter that the s3 was released? If not, why?

So it was the 4S, got ya. Was I amazed that the 4s outsold the S2? No, I had a 4S. Quite frankly, it doesn't bother me who sold what, it doesn't put any money in my pocket. You are trying to compare sales of different flagship models that are released at different times forgetting about the "new item" effect on that quarter sales of each company. Tell me, do you do agree that a new flagship item from a company will cause them to have an upward spike in sales for that item?

Last edited:

patentlawyer

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2012
So it was the 4S, got ya. Was I amazed that the 4s outsold the S2? No, I had a 4S. Quite frankly, it doesn't bother me who sold what, it doesn't put any money in my pocket. You are trying to compare sales of different flagship models that are released at different times forgetting about the "new item" effect on that quarter sales of each company. Tell me, do you do agree that a new flagship item from a company will cause them to have an upward spike in sales for that item?

Of course, which is why it's not some huge surprise that a new phone outsells a 6 month old phone. Are you agreeing with me?

I think it's ridiculous that ppl think the s3 outselling the 6 month old 4s in a quarter where the 5 was announced and released is some huge deal. Why in the world would it be??

You can't just say "so it was the 4s. Got ya" and dismiss the actual situation.

The 4s outsold the s2 in the qtr where the s3 was announced and released. Same exact situation. Where's the hooplah for that?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Of course, which is why it's not some huge surprise that a new phone outsells a 6 month old phone. Are you agreeing with me?

I think it's ridiculous that ppl think the s3 outselling the 6 month old 4s in a quarter where the 5 was announced and released is some huge deal. Why in the world would it be??

You can't just say "so it was the 4s. Got ya" and dismiss the actual situation.

The 4s outsold the s2 in the qtr where the s3 was announced and released. Same exact situation. Where's the hooplah for that?

Why people care so much/get passionate about it never ceases to amaze me as if they had a significant role in it.

Is the whole "my phone is better than your phone because it sold more?" Which is also funny since so there are those that preferred owning an iPhone when it wasn't so ubiquitous.

Regardless - as long as the phone you own does everything you want and you're happy - who cares if you were the sole buyer or if millions bought the same phone as you. Just enjoy your phone.

Ryan John

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2011
That is the problem in Europe is that the iPhone is crazy expensive. I can buy an iPad and an relatively cheap phone and it still doesn't cost as much as an iPhone.
Most of the people that have iPhones the company for who they work for is paying for them.

Partially right, but I believe that we as Europeans don't have the cultural allegiance to Apple that a US citizen might feel. We buy based on the choice of products available and what we consider to be the best of that bunch.

If a UK company made a decent phone (which none do) I might be inclined to give it a closer look than I otherwise would have. By the same token a US citizen may have more time for Apple as a company, so these figures make perfect sense.

EwanMcTeagle

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2012
Lodz, Poland
its 679€ here without a plan, thats not much more than in the US after tax and a plan where u can get the iPhone 5 for 1-50€ is only 40-50€ a month. in the us u pay 199$ AND crazy sums like 80$ and more a month if im not mistaken. its even cheaper in austria and england. i fail to see how the iphone is "crazy expensive" in the EU.

OK, let me rephrase:)

iPhone prices (from Apple online stores):

iPhone 5 16GB SIM free

US - $650 + let's say 7% tax (I think that's the tax in North Carolina where a friend of mine got me a Macbook, but that of course varies depending on state) = circa $700

UK - 529 GBP = $848,95

Poland (where I live) - 2849 PLN = $898,73

Now:

average monthly salary:

US - $3,587 [http://www.ssa.gov/oact/cola/AWI.html]

UK - 2208 GBP = $3543 [http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20442666]

Poland - 3399 PLN = $1072 [http://www.zus.pl/default.asp?p=1&id=24]

So OK then, maybe we can agree that

iPhone in the EU - expensive
iPhone in Poland (also EU)- crazy expensive
:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.