Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martinm0

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 27, 2010
After upgrading to Mountain Lion this weekend I started noticing that active programs I have running like Handbrake seem to go into hibernation when the computer sleeps. Instead of completing the conversion over the course of the night as it usually does, I'm finding it still active and running when I wake the computer in the morning (presumably it isn't running all night long, but starting up again when I wake the machine).

Anyone else run into this? Happened last night when I was running Pavtube Bluray Ripper as well. Came home after work and found the movie only ~40% done after starting it nearly 18 hours before hand.

Note: this is happening on a current gen iMac 21" 2.5 i5.

Last edited:

martinm0

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 27, 2010
Anyone?

Bump. Anyone else able to confirm if this is happening to you too? Still happening under a fresh 2012 27" iMac. Thanks.

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
After upgrading to Mountain Lion this weekend I started noticing that active programs I have running like Handbrake seem to go into hibernation when the computer sleeps. Instead of completing the conversion over the course of the night as it usually does, I'm finding it still active and running when I wake the computer in the morning (presumably it isn't running all night long, but starting up again when I wake the machine).

Anyone else run into this? Happened last night when I was running Pavtube Bluray Ripper as well. Came home after work and found the movie only ~40% done after starting it nearly 18 hours before hand.

Note: this is happening on a current gen iMac 21" 2.5 i5.

I just disable sleep when performing those activities. Then Restore Defaults in Energy Settings when done.

Dark Dragoon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2006
UK
Bump. Anyone else able to confirm if this is happening to you too? Still happening under a fresh 2012 27" iMac. Thanks.

With Lion and previous versions of OS X, the computer was kept awake by checking for disk activity. So tasks such as converting videos kept the computer awake until they were done.

In Mountain Lion this behaviour was changed, the OS now no longer checks for disk activity. Instead an application must now specifically tell the OS that it is doing something via power assertions to keep the computer from sleeping.

Here's whats happening regarding Handbrake and implementing power assertions https://reviews.handbrake.fr/r/348/.

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
With Lion and previous versions of OS X, the computer was kept awake by checking for disk activity. So tasks such as converting videos kept the computer awake until they were done.

In Mountain Lion this behaviour was changed, the OS now no longer checks for disk activity. Instead an application must now specifically tell the OS that it is doing something via power assertions to keep the computer from sleeping.

Here's whats happening regarding Handbrake and implementing power assertions https://reviews.handbrake.fr/r/348/.

That was a much better response than mine :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.