Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
I bought an iPhone 5 last week and it had a scratch out of the box, just like people were reporting back in September. I sended it back because it's not acceptable for such an expensive phone.

So what are the chances that the next iPhone 5 I order will also not be in mint condition?

I'm considering skipping this generation and wait for the iPhone 5S after this horrible experience.

90miles

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2012
Not sure about the odds of getting a perfect phone but mine came perfect on the first try and I did look very closely at it to make sure there were no problems.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I bought an iPhone 5 last week and it had a scratch out of the box, just like people were reporting back in September. I sended it back because it's not acceptable for such an expensive phone.

So what are the chances that the next iPhone 5 I order will also not be in mint condition?

I'm considering skipping this generation and wait for the iPhone 5S after this horrible experience.

I can think of many things more horrible than a scratched iPhone. However, mine was blemish free out of the box.

Johnnygogo

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2012
2 black phones on launch. no scratches no case no screen protector to date. and i forgot it was even fragile and love this thing.

Insulin Junkie

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2008
Mainland Europe
Perhaps that depends on where you live. Over here, the provider I purchased my iPhone 5 from opened the box for me and asked me to inspect the device before taking it with me, both for screen abnormalities and for out-of-the-box scratches. (Note: he prompted this, I didn't. I even pretended not to know why he was asking me to inspect the device, and he correctly told me about the scratch issue, and that it's policy for them to let their customers inspect the phone they'll be committing to). Had I found something, he'd readily have brought one iPhone after the next from the storage, and given me the model I wanted.
I didn't think to try out the camera in-store, but it turns out it's fine, too.

Dr Sam Beckett

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2012
i dont think it is.. i've purchased two.. one from verizon and one from apple. both black and just fine

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Day one black phone, no problems. If you are concerned, review the phone before you leave the store.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
It's certainly not impossible to come across an iPhone 5 that doesn't have any blemishes on it.

My iPhone 5 which I received in October had a slight mark on the back, but otherwise it's completely fine. I chose not to return it.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
oh and for what it's worth I've come across 4 iphone 5 models (black) that have all been perfect. Been there when all 4 were unboxed.

I believe the issue exists but is well overblown by the internet.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Mine is fine. Launch day unit.

Some people here are just ridiculous and expect their beloved iPhone should be perfect. Jesus christ, it's a phone guys. Who cares if it is a little scratched.

teejaysyke

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2012
I got a perfect week 45 iPhone 5 in black.

I examined the camera lens, the casing everything, not one scratch, not one dent. No dust under the screen/lens. No flaws on the physical device.

I haven't even ran into issues with IOS6. Everything works fast and super fluid.

I get 10-11 hours of battery life on heavy usage.

*knock on wood*

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009
I got a perfect week 45 iPhone 5 in black.

I examined the camera lens, the casing everything, not one scratch, not one dent. No dust under the screen/lens. No flaws on the physical device.

I haven't even ran into issues with IOS6. Everything works fast and super fluid.

I get 10-11 hours of battery life on heavy usage.

*knock on wood*

Ditto, except week 39 if I'm reading the serial number correctly. Bought on launch day. Totally perfect.

huschpuscheli

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2011
i have the 5th iphone 5 64gb black gsm:

1st scratched out of the box (production week 42)
2nd scratched out of the box (production week 42)
3rd pristine but with the green display glow (production week 43)
4th scratched out of the box (production week 47)
5th pristine on all levels (production week 50)

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
You'll never find a perfect phone because you deliberately look for and find faults that aren't there.

All the employees at the store confirmed the scratch so the fault was there.

----------

Mine is fine. Launch day unit.

Some people here are just ridiculous and expect their beloved iPhone should be perfect. Jesus christ, it's a phone guys. Who cares if it is a little scratched.

I expect a new iPhone to look like a new phone, which means without a scratch. There is nothing ridiculous about that.

jrasero

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
NYC
Yes and no

I originally got a Verizon Black & slate iPhone 5 16GB and it had 3-4 dents on the side and was discolored on the antenna band. Went to the Apple store and went through two black & slate replacements that had even more scratches and/or dents mainly on the bezel. Finally I went to a different Apple store and switched for a white and grey. Still the white has two tiny minor scratches on the silver bezel, but I decided why return since I might get one with a camera, battery, or screen problem in return. Overall it seems the white ones tend to show scratches less and tend to have less problems out of box IMO.

My dad and brother both got black and slate iPhones and both got them pristine.

My coworker claimed he got a pristine slate and black iPhone but when I examined it I noticed a nice dent in the bezel.

so with that said I would ask:
What do you consider perfect? Yes it is possible to get a pristine one but there is a chance you will get a slightly nicked or very blemished phone.

Is this a phone you plan to use without a case? My coworker proclaimed that eh didn't need a case up until I noticed a dent on his iPhone then he got one. The aluminum is just a softer material and will not shatter like the iPhone 4/4s glass back but will dent. My advice go with a case and screen protectors day one

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.