Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSensei

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
Let's go back in time.

September: New iPhone. Iphone 5. Completely redesigned, thinner, lighter brand new lightning charger port, polished aluminum bezel etc. etc. etc.

Oct ~ Nov: iPad Mini. Thin, light, polished bezel, lightning port.
iPad 4. Same old, heavy and bulky design as iPad 2, brand new lightning port and a faster processor.

My question is since they had time to redesign the iPhone and create the iPad Mini, why couldn't they redesign the iPad 4?

Yeah, I'm sure they'll redesign it in 2013, making it lighter, thinner etc. but they could have done it with the iPad 4. It sucks thinking my $100 Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover will become obsolete as well as my iSkin $100 folio case.

I'm pretty sure they have designs laid out for the next 10 years but each year they slowly implement something "new" to justify the "new" in the "new iPad" :rolleyes: and brainwash the masses with how great the "new" device is and mention nothing good about the old one except praising how good the new is compared to the old model.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Did they really need to redesign it-
It was almost a silent bump, not anything major.
Also, the iPad Mini was not redesigned, it is a new product.

iSensei

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
Did they really need to redesign it-
It was almost a silent bump, not anything major.
Also, the iPad Mini was not redesigned, it is a new product.

I know it was a new product...but ultimately...the full size iPad will be redesigned but again not in time.

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
It seems obvious that the iPad 4 was merely a necessary spec bump to stay uniform with the Lightning switch and to offer a more compelling product for the holiday season. Several people I spoke to were hesitant to ever buy the 3rd Gen because of the fact that it wasn't a substantial performance increase over the iPad 2. In hindsight, there's no denying that the A5X was only meant as a stopgap.

Yes it does suck that your accessories designed for the 2/3/4th Gen will likely be physically incompatible with the 5th generation. However, there will likely be newer more impressive peripheals available by that time.

P.S. I just picked up the same Logitech keyboard. Do you use any iPad back case along with the Logitech?

iSensei

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
It seems obvious that the iPad 4 was merely a necessary spec bump to stay uniform with the Lightning switch and to offer a more compelling product for the holiday season. Several people I spoke to were hesitant to ever buy the 3rd Gen because of the fact that it wasn't a substantial performance increase over the iPad 2. In hindsight, there's no denying that the A5X was only meant as a stopgap.

Yes it does suck that your accessories designed for the 2/3/4th Gen will likely be physically incompatible with the 5th generation. However, there will likely be newer more impressive peripheals available by that time.

P.S. I just picked up the same Logitech keyboard. Do you use any iPad back case along with the Logitech?

I use a "Just Mobile" stand http://www.just-mobile.com/ipad/encore.html for the iPad and the keyboard is in front of the iPad since I use a silicone case on the iPad to protect the back. I guess since the ketboard is bluetooth it will be compatible with the 5th gen. I've placed rubber feet/bumpers on the back of the logitech keyboard to protect the aluminum finish.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
The question you ask suggests you think that Apple has it in them to build things as thin as they want at any time, regardless of battery size and other internals, like they've done it for one device and therefore they neglected these other devices that didn't get the same treatment.

I think there are reasons Apple devices are the sizes they are (physical constraints of the hardware), but those are all irrelevant when talking about the iPad 4, because that was an anomalous update to the device, only designed to reset the refresh cycle so that it seems "fresh" for a year, until Autumn 2013, at which time it will get a full upgrade, incorporating a feature set (and perhaps redesign) warrants a product refresh/update.

S

syd430

You do realise that all these products are designed by one soft spoken British guy that's trapped in the basement of their Cupertino headquarters?

Between designing new products like the ipad mini, iphone 5, retina macbook pro's and new imacs, he also spends several hours a day working on an escape tunnel he's digging out behind a shelf of discarded Thunderbolt Display prototypes in the rear quadrant of building 3.

Give the guy a break.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
You do realise that all these products are designed by one bald guy with a British accent that's trapped in the basement of their Cupertino headquarters?

Between designing new products like the ipad mini, iphone 5, retina macbook pro's and new imacs, he also spends several hours a day working on an escape tunnel he's digging out behind a shelf of discarded Thunderbolt Display prototypes in the rear quadrant of building 3.

Give the guy a break.

I thought he had a team working with him

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I'm pretty sure they have designs laid out for the next 10 years but each year they slowly implement something "new" to justify the "new" in the "new iPad" :rolleyes: and brainwash the masses with how great the "new" device is and mention nothing good about the old one except praising how good the new is compared to the old model.

You should be good to go then... since you are aware of their tactics, just avoid the brainwash of the next product and keep what you have with all of your accessories
Problem solved

iSensei

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
You do realise that all these products are designed by one soft spoken British guy that's trapped in the basement of their Cupertino headquarters?

Give the guy a break.

lol. Jony Ive looks malnourished.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
If you upgrade from the iPad 3 to the iPad 4...you have no reason to complain about the iPad 5 coming in March.

If you kept your iPad 3 because you were smart, a redesigned iPad 5 is your reward for your patience.

If you got the iPad 4 for a gift, your going to enjoy it a lot and it won't be outdated for a long time.

88Keys

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2007
If you upgrade from the iPad 3 to the iPad 4...you have no reason to complain about the iPad 5 coming in March.

If you kept your iPad 3 because you were smart, a redesigned iPad 5 is your reward for your patience.

If you got the iPad 4 for a gift, your going to enjoy it a lot and it won't be outdated for a long time.

IF an iPad 5 comes in March.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
My question is since they had time to redesign the iPhone and create the iPad Mini, why couldn't they redesign the iPad 4?

Not enough design resources? Limitations with the current technology (i.e., the battery needs to be a certain size to adequately power the Retina display)?

Yeah, I'm sure they'll redesign it in 2013, making it lighter, thinner etc. but they could have done it with the iPad 4.

How do you know that? Do you have the necessary engineering background and insight into Apple's design processes?

It sucks thinking my $100 Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover will become obsolete as well as my iSkin $100 folio case.

That's why I keep my iDevice accessory purchases to a minimum. But how would the situation be different if they'd redesigned the iPad 4? You'd buy accessories for it. Then Apple would redesign either the iPad 5 or 6, and your iPad 4 accessories would be obsolete if you chose to upgrade.

I'm pretty sure they have designs laid out for the next 10 years

You really believe that? I don't think any high-tech roadmaps go out that far, because of the rate at which technology changes.

but each year they slowly implement something "new" to justify the "new" in the "new iPad" :rolleyes: and brainwash the masses with how great the "new" device is and mention nothing good about the old one except praising how good the new is compared to the old model.

You're saying you're brainwashed, then? Because you said your iPad accessories will become obsolete when the next iPad comes out. If it's just brainwashing, then hang onto your iPad 4 for as long as it's useful. That's what I plan to do with mine. I love it, having recently upgraded from my iPad 1.

S

syd430

Limitations with the current technology (i.e., the battery needs to be a certain size to adequately power the Retina display)?

How do you know that? Do you have the necessary engineering background and insight into Apple's design processes?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Is it possible they didn't redesign it so as not to really piss off 3rd gen iPad owners? Or maybe they're saving the new design for when they're able to make the iPad thinner and lighter?

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010

This is good sense. It's safe to say that iPad 3-5 will enjoy most if not all of the new iOS 7 features. Typically those excluded are related to hardware, and I haven't seen any major hardware predictions (aside from display improvements and design/weight changes which obviously don't impact the OS).

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
Let's go back in time.

September: New iPhone. Iphone 5. Completely redesigned, thinner, lighter brand new lightning charger port, polished aluminum bezel etc. etc. etc.

Oct ~ Nov: iPad Mini. Thin, light, polished bezel, lightning port.
iPad 4. Same old, heavy and bulky design as iPad 2, brand new lightning port and a faster processor.

Yeah, I'm sure they'll redesign it in 2013, making it lighter, thinner etc. but they could have done it with the iPad 4. It sucks thinking my $100 Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover will become obsolete as well as my iSkin $100 folio case.

You spent $100 in a case? Oh my

lokster

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2010
no redesign, and they cannot lose the weight unless they figure out how to make a huge retina display low power. Hence the battery size and the weight

although the screen is awesome it does get warm after prolonged used

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.