Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Synergie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2011
Halifax, Canada
On Facebook, a very sketchy page seems to be 'giving away' tons of free apple products to random people who 'like' and share their page and photos. In the contact info, they list Macrumours website...

Just checking to see if this site is in fact associated with the above FB giveaways. Because they seem to me to have all the markings of a scam. No winners are ever posted (until recently) and I suspect those are not even real. They often link to sites that try to get you to sign up to numerous SMS subscription services that cost quite a bit...

ANyway if you are not associated with this, you should know that your site is being used to make them seem more legit.

https://www.facebook.com/OnlyFreeProducts

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Definitely a scam. I took a post at random, and the spelling & grammar is shocking:

Hit the Like button if you want to win next

Congrats to Emily Stewart from Germany on winning our Christmas iPad giveaway! Hope we made Santa's job alot easier ;)
Want to be the next winner? it's Easy Like our facebook fan page to be updated on our latest giveaways ! http://www.facebook.com/onlyfreeproducts

[/B]

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
MacRumors doesn't promote giveaway's on Facebook or on the site itself. I've never seen Arn mention anything like it before.

Synergie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2011
Halifax, Canada
I know it's likely to be a scam... which i why I wanted to inform Macrumours that the scammers are using the macrumours website to make it look legit.

sdcountry

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2013
Still there

It is still there. Still saying that this is there website. Why do people do that? How are they going to scam people? Just doesn't make any sense anymore.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
It is still there. Still saying that this is there website. Why do people do that? How are they going to scam people? Just doesn't make any sense anymore.

I don't see them linking it to MacRumors anymore

arn

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.