Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Use wordpress instead. It is easier :)

I looked at iWeb and I didn't really see much of a benefit or easy way to create downloads. I think Wordpress is more for blogs and that type of stuff, and I have a fair amount of experience using Joomla.

----------

We could build this in iWeb in 10 minutes, actually.
See above. If you know how to do it, and could hook me up with some test pages, that would be great.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
I used Joomla to test things out, and recorded it with Quicktime on MBP.

Here's a link to the Dropbox (don't view it in-browser, download it):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yvw9y7irnlfc6my/PPC Directory.mov

Unless I can find a secure way to do so, not just anyone with an account will be able to upload, as shown in this video. Instead, only myself, as an admin, and perhaps other, hand-picked users can upload.

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador
I looked at iWeb and I didn't really see much of a benefit or easy way to create downloads. I think Wordpress is more for blogs and that type of stuff, and I have a fair amount of experience using Joomla.

Well you could use mediafire to share the freeware apps for Mac PowerPC and blog about it.

I would recommend using an third party upload solution, rather than in your own server. Things change, pretty fast and hosting apps on your own server can fade away eventually....

Glad you have experience with Joomla, it can get tedious from time to time.

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
Well you could use mediafire to share the freeware apps for Mac PowerPC and blog about it.

I would recommend using an third party upload solution, rather than in your own server. Things change, pretty fast and hosting apps on your own server can fade away eventually....

Uh, No.

If I've learned anything from this whole fiasco with MegaUpload - it's to NEVER trust a file host. No matter how big.

If/when we collect too much software for my hosting account, I can host it at home from a spare G3 array I happen to have :D

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
It seems as though Taylor has disappeared- both from MMC and Macrumors. I could keep this going. I plan to use Joomla and JDownloads. spyguy, I'll PM you about your generous hosting offer, as I don't have the cash.

As for organization, I will use a different organization scheme-
I'm thinking about having it like this: If you wanted iTunes for OS9, you would go the Music category, go on the alphabetical list to iTunes, and would be presented with a list of all versions of iTunes on the server. In the short description (or possibly the title) you would see the last OS it works with and all of the requirements.

If anyone has any ideas for categories (note: we can also put categories within categories, eg music>music composition>...), please post them here and hopefully we will get this off the ground again!
Just a suggestion. Ultimately, whomever gets this done…you may want to avoid some duplication and therefore unnecessary work.

Last edited:

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012

We're going to keep the files safe and sound on spyguy's server. Macintosh Garden is having a disaster right now what with the Megaupload fiasco, and also with issue of account revocations (for things unrelated to abandonware- it actually was the use of "System 7"). Also, those download sites aren't very user friendly- you might have to wait to download files, be bombarded with ads that have download buttons on them, and on most PowerPC Macs it takes ~1 eon for things to load.

As for Joomla being tedious, you are 100% correct! :D

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Just a suggestion. Ultimately, whomever gets this done…you may want to avoid some duplication and therefore unnecessary work.

Yeah, I'll keep that in mind. What we can do is create a download section for a file that is hosted elsewhere, and when they click the download link, they download the file off of a site that we link to- see the picture. The only thing I am worried about is whether the sites we link to under, and we are in the same sort of situation we were in before the archive.

Attachments

• downloads.png
    downloads.png
    17.4 KB · Views: 236

charlielowndes

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2010
Abandonware

I have a massive collection of Mac's and software dating back to 1987. (When I bought my first MacPlus, which I still have).

Do you have anywhere for me to FTP my software collection? I have a large amount of software from System 7 through to PPC X. Stuff you just cant find anymore.

Oh and if you come across a copy of Alchemy DVR for PPC Mac on your travels, let me know! I am desperate for it for a card I have installed in an old Quicksilver. I need it to convert a load of old VHS.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Yeah, I'll keep that in mind. What we can do is create a download section for a file that is hosted elsewhere, and when they click the download link, they download the file off of a site that we link to- see the picture. The only thing I am worried about is whether the sites we link to under, and we are in the same sort of situation we were in before the archive.
Well, the iTunes site I link to is a publicly accessible server for a university in Australia. The other, oldapps.com has been up for years.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
It is happening! You can view a preview of the website here, categories (and subcategories. Post any other suggestions as well.

Everyone, thank spyguy10709 for hosting this!

Last edited:

ppcfanforever1

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2012
Pennsylvania
Hey I found a site a few months back with quite a bit of software on it for ppc, it even has just about every os update from 7.5.5 to 9.2.2. It has specific computer software patches on here aswell, I recommend taking everything as fast as possible as I dont own the server and have no idea when it will be taken down if ever. Here check it out when you have the time, and thanks for doing this as searching for software can get very tiresome when playing around with ppc a lot. I have to warn you though going to the parent directories could make you look at weeks of downloading software this has hundreds of lost software waiting to be downloaded haha :D
http://ftp.iinet.net.au/pub/apple/US/Macintosh/

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Hey I found a site a few months back with quite a bit of software on it for ppc, it even has just about every os update from 7.5.5 to 9.2.2. It has specific computer software patches on here aswell, I recommend taking everything as fast as possible as I dont own the server and have no idea when it will be taken down if ever. Here check it out when you have the time, and thanks for doing this as searching for software can get very tiresome when playing around with ppc a lot. I have to warn you though going to the parent directories could make you look at weeks of downloading software this has hundreds of lost software waiting to be downloaded haha :D
http://ftp.iinet.net.au/pub/apple/US/Macintosh/

Yup. eyoungren referred me to that in another thread, and I believe it has every single version of iTunes. He told me that it was being run by a university, so I don't expect it to go down anytime soon, and if it were to go down, it would probably give advanced notice.

The site is just about finished. I'll make a post here when it is. Please login using your Macrumors forum name. That way it's easier for me to set permissions. For security, only people with the correct permissions can upload. If I know I can trust you from Macrumors, you can get permissions. I'd rather not have to pick and chose, but I really expect that most everyone who logs on will be trustworthy, and therefore get the permissions to upload.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
Office Suites

AppleWorks 6 - OS 8 -OS X 10.5
LibreOffice 3.5 - OS X 10.4+
OpenOffice (Multiple Versions) - OS X 10.2+

Browsers

Camino 2.1 - OS X 10.4+
TenFourFox - 10.4.11+
Classilla - OS 8.6 - OS X 10.3.9
Stainless - OS X 10.5
Firefox 3 - OS X 10.5

Messaging

AIM - OS X 10.5+
Twhirl - OS X 10.5+ (I think)
Adobe Air (Older version for use with Twhirl)

Torrent Clients

Transmission (Multiple Versions) - OS 8 - OS X 10.5
Vuze - OS X 10.5
Azureus - OS X 10.3 - OS X 10.5
uTorrent - OS X 10.5

Other

Handbrake (Multiple versions) - OS X 10.0+
Flash Player 'Fix' - Not Too Sure On OS (10.4+?)
Cyberduck (SSH Browser) - OS X 10.2+
Google Earth - OS X 10.3+
Stuffit Expander (Multiple Versions) - OS X 10.1+
iSwiff - OS X 10.5

Games (Cant Give Download Links On Some - It's Naughty)

World Of Goo
Battlefield 1942
Minecraft
Tennis Elbow 2011
Worms 3d

What minecraft works on PowerPC?

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Since my quad is sitting under my desk and I'm not inclined to sell it again I'll offer it up again as the actual server. I owned had a domain through Fat Cow until about a month ago and now my box is being inundated with please come back emails. I have zero desire to build the site but I will offer my computer and if there really is some desire to make this happen I'll pay for the first year of domain rental/ownership and hosting.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Now open for registration. Please use the same Username as you use on Macrumors.

Thanks!

Falstaff

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2012
Arizona
Hmmmm!? Not letting me register. Keeps asking for a Captcha code but there is no text box to enter one and in fact no generated code to enter if there was. Am I doing something wrong here or do we have a first glitch?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.