Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turnkit

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2009
2004 and 2005 MacAddict CD-ROMs

These will go up soon to Internet Archive.

Trying to decide if I should do sleeve and disc scans first so all that everything would go up together.

I didn't like that there were no scans on the first batch, nor decent meta data. Thinking it's better to send it up all correctly the first time.

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador
Sorry, I should be way more clear. I manually activated your account a while back. I will send out emails to everyone who has registered thus far.

However, you say that you can't log in. I will investigate this.

OK, you should be able to log in. I am working right now to fix the email issues.

Access denied???

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
96 and 97 are on http://4unitmaths.com/macaddictcds.html now so this completes it for 2004.

In fact it completes it for all the numbered disks 1-125.

Also there are 3 more special disks there now, namely a games disk, a utilities disk and The New Mac Handbook disk.

So now there are 8 special disks missing, namely,

Ultimate Survival Kit - Mac Handbook
5th Anniversary DVD
Ultra iMac Pak
Super Software Paks 1, 2, 3 and 4
Ultimate-How-To disk 3

Last edited:

MisterMorse

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2013
Windsor, VT
This is a great idea. I have a few Mac Addict disks from years ago if they are needed.

Dec 2000 #52
March 2001 #55
April 2001 #56
May 2001 #57
August 2001 #60

I'd be happy to contribute if these are needed.

LAM

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
Thanks for that. But the numbered ones 1-125 are now all online.

It's some of the "special" ones which are more of a problem since they were only available to subscribers and not on newsstands. Hence they seem to be harder to get second-hand.

There is however one unofficial special and I should also say that there is a word of caution in downloading issue #28 from archive.org. It has a virus! A virus-free reissue #28 special was released by macaddict but this is the only time a special was offered to anyone but subscribers. It was actually offered to anyone who requested it.

This one should be available online soon, but just remember if you are downloading these cds for your ppc mac you should probably wait till the virus-free #28 is available before downloading that particular issue.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
Also, if you have an intel mac running Lion or Mountain Lion, you can still run macaddict software with System 7, Mac OS 8 or Mac OS 9 under Sheepshaver for the classic apps or with Leopard Server or Snow Leopard Server under Parallels Desktop or VMWare Fusion for the Mac OS X PPC apps.

harrysong70

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2013
MacAddict Discs - lemme know what you want and your postage

Hi Falstaff and turnkit,

Sorry if I'm posting late or off topic - dunging out and socking in from a huge relocation.

I'd be glad to find a home for my old MacAddict discs. I've just dug them out of storage, so I'm not sure what I have yet, or what kind of shape they're in. (They should be okay.)

If you're interested and if you don't mind coughing up the postage that would make it worthwhile for me to send them. Maybe we could swap an old jazz CD?

PM my ID at good ol' hotmail.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
Do you happen to have any of the special disks?

In particular,

5th Anniversary DVD
Ultra iMac Pak
Super Software Paks 1, 2, 3, 4
Ultimate-How-To 3

These are the only ones not online yet (apart from the virus-free version of #28 which should go up soon).

Last edited:

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
The website has been down for a while; it is currently switching servers. Should be back up in the coming weeks. Big thanks to spyguy10709 for hosting it.

happyfrappy

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2007
Location eh?
5th Anniversary DVD
Ultra iMac Pak
Super Software Paks

You aren't missing much...

The 5th Anniversary DVD was all the staff videos compiled by Digital Droo and forum members had to order directly. It'll be easier to just extract all the staff videos from previous discs. AFAIK, some MA readers have uploaded some of these videos on YouTube... PrisonGuy videos were always priceless but Nico riding a B/W G3 like a horse was the last best one. (too bad the iRobot-Rover never went anywhere, I'm quite sure the Boot Magazine writers were behind the original iBookgate...)

Survival Kit was mostly freeware "troubleshooting" tools, Tech Tool(basic--Zap PRAM, rebuild desktop & basic hardware test), simple antivirus removers(OS 6-7.6 era), and misc popular "utilities". There was also a HTML guide on the disc which was based on the MacAddict Sept 2000 issue with some snippets of previous upgrade guides(for classic Mac upkeep I think it also referred to a previous issues). AFAIK, this was talked about on the old forums if you had previous issues this disc wasn't anything new.

Ultra iMac Pak was free/demo/trialware geared towards switchers... again like the survival kit it included HTML guides from previous "iMac" feature sections and switcher help.

Super Software Pak was mostly "Best Of"(freeware, trialware and some how-to templates) from the past 6 or 12 months.

My memory is fuzzy as I haven't used a pre-OS X machine or looked at those discs since the Intel transition. They only gave me them when the USPS managed to destroy three issues of discs in a row... I guess it was a consolation prize eh? :(

harrysong70

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2013
no special discs

tywebb - no special discs so far as I remember. As a Canadian subscriber I seem to recall not being able to get them (hmpf). I'll dig around and see what I do have in the next couple of days.

I will be trashing the collection at some point in the near future, so if you have any interest, give me a PM and we'll try to hash something out.

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
I have on Floppy the drivers for the apple tv/video system, let me know if you guys want them as well as avid videoshop for powerpc macs

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
Actually there was also another 3rd version of ultimate-how-to as well but I don't have it.

I think it was the last special disk.

Do you have it?

Last edited:

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Glad to see that this thread is still active.
But my problem is thus, after reading through each post in all 7 pages, I've yet to find a working link to this mysterious 'PPC software archive'.
Can anyone help me with this?
Thanks guys...

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Glad to see that this thread is still active.
But my problem is thus, after reading through each post in all 7 pages, I've yet to find a working link to this mysterious 'PPC software archive'.
Can anyone help me with this?
Thanks guys...

We are switching web hosts, so for the time being, it is down. Sorry to waste your time looking for it. I think it will be up in the coming weeks. Sorry. :eek:

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
These special disks have now been added to http://4unitmaths.com/macaddictcds.html at the bottom of the page

Creative Projects
iLife Answers
MacAnswers 04
MacAnswers 06
Software SuperPak 3
Software SuperPak 4
Ultimate How-To 03
MacAddict 28 Virus Free
Ultimate Survival Kit
Utilities SuperPak
Utilities Toolkit

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.