Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macnchiefs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2009
I woke up this morning and checked my email and through the night I had received 3 emails from Apple detailing purchases over the past 3 days on our iPad. Because we had the incorrect setting picked(no need to enter password within 15 minutes) my 3 yr old son was able to rack up over $300 of in-app purchases...

The kind of purchases he made are not like the $.99 ones. He somehow found in-app "deluxe packs" that cost upwards of $149.99. They're really the kind of in-app purchases where you wonder why the game developer has put in packs that cost that much into games targeted at 3 yr olds? I've convinced myself that they're banking on the kind of situation that just happened to us to make some quick money. But that's besides the point here.

I've done some research and found that Apple's sales policy is "all sales are final" but they do have an appeal process for I'm guessing, situations like mine.

I've submitted an online ticket(telephone support is closed because of the holiday) to try and get the charges removed. So who has had success in appealing purchases like this? Is Apple very understanding in these kind of situations?

Thanks for your help and I apologize if this is in the wrong section.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
That's exactly why people should just use iTunes cards and delete their credit card info in the app store. Gives you limited liability.

Only thing you can do is contact Apple ASAP and hope they can reverse the charges.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I woke up this morning and checked my email and through the night I had received 3 emails from Apple detailing purchases over the past 3 days on our iPad. Because we had the incorrect setting picked(no need to enter password within 15 minutes) my 3 yr old son was able to rack up over $300 of in-app purchases...

The kind of purchases he made are not like the $.99 ones. He somehow found in-app "deluxe packs" that cost upwards of $149.99. They're really the kind of in-app purchases where you wonder why the game developer has put in packs that cost that much into games targeted at 3 yr olds? I've convinced myself that they're banking on the kind of situation that just happened to us to make some quick money. But that's besides the point here.

I've done some research and found that Apple's sales policy is "all sales are final" but they do have an appeal process for I'm guessing, situations like mine.

I've submitted an online ticket(telephone support is closed because of the holiday) to try and get the charges removed. So who has had success in appealing purchases like this? Is Apple very understanding in these kind of situations?

Thanks for your help and I apologize if this is in the wrong section.

They will charge it back to your credit card, no questions asked. :) You should in the meantime put some parental controls and disable in-app purchases on the iPad.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
My kids are old enough to know better, but no matter what, I ALWAYS turn off in-app purchases as the first thing I do when I have a clean install. Just this holiday I picked up a new iPad Mini and I went in and turned off in-app purchases. I have found some deceptive apps that tried to make in-app purchases every easy to "accidentally" hit. I know that Apple has gotten better with signing in and such, but so rarely have I actually wanted legitimately buy something, I keep it off until I do.

While I feel your pain, and yeah, some times these apps are not clear about how much it is going to cost. But as a parent you do have to take some of this responsibility yourself. Why don't you have it setup right, why weren't you watching your 3 year old, etc. Yes, it does suck sometimes, and we all make mistakes but is it really their fault? Sure they have some fault as well, and I can see looking for a refund. But at the same time, think about your part in this and if you should chalk it up as an expensive lesson.

macnchiefs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2009
But as a parent you do have to take some of this responsibility yourself. Why don't you have it setup right, why weren't you watching your 3 year old, etc. Yes, it does suck sometimes, and we all make mistakes but is it really their fault? Sure they have some fault as well, and I can see looking for a refund. But at the same time, think about your part in this and if you should chalk it up as an expensive lesson.

If I would have blamed it on my 3 yr old I would actually take your post into consideration but I essentially blamed it on us(the parents) in my original post by stating we didn't have the correct settings checked. FYI if you have a 3 yr old - it's absolutely impossible to be watching them at all times in all things nor do I want to be watching them at all times. Just a fact of life.

Thanks to everyone else for your advice. I've gone in and already changed all the settings. I'm hoping Apple can grant mercy on this one. If not then I'll make dang sure that my 3 yr old plays the "Christmas Scary Spider Racing Plus, Deluxe Pack" that we paid $149 for the rest of his life. He'll master that thing as far as I'm concerned. And from playing the "Great Pirates Battleheart, Deluxe" pack that cost another $149, he better be the best damn pirate in the world.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
They'll give it back once. If it happens again, they wont. Not sure how you contacted them, but the fastest way is through http://expresslane.apple.com

It's always important, especially with kids, to make sure you've locked it down and put the controls on.

macnchiefs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2009
They'll give it back once. If it happens again, they wont. Not sure how you contacted them, but the fastest way is through http://expresslane.apple.com

It's always important, especially with kids, to make sure you've locked it down and put the controls on.

Thanks bma. That was how I contacted them. Looks like they get back to you within 24 to 48 hours.

macnchiefs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2009
Already got an email back from Apple - they're refunding the total amount.
Yay!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.