Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
I would be shocked if they pull it off.

This is why RIM failed, they couldn't match what iOS & android offered.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Android need Samsung and Samsung need Android imo. I would be shocked if Samsung can move away from Android and continue with the success they are having atm. Similarly Android will struggle if Samsung leave, look at the horrible launch of the Nexus 4, its a great phone but the lack of supply means the phone will be outdated before anyone can actually purchase it.

DanteMann

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
Tizen will be an interesting offer. Unlike others before it, this thing has got some serious backing behind it. It may very well shock everyone. We shall see.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Tizen will be an interesting offer. Unlike others before it, this thing has got some serious backing behind it. It may very well shock everyone. We shall see.

Hardly, it was called something else before "Tizen". I forgot the exact name. And it was renamed because it lost a lot of backers.

Samsung might do a fork of Android much like Kindle Fire. But still no match for iOS because it just fragments Android even more.

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 28, 2011
Hardly, it was called something else before "Tizen". I forgot the exact name. And it was renamed because it lost a lot of backers.

Samsung might do a fork of Android much like Kindle Fire. But still no match for iOS because it just fragments Android even more.

It is a Linux-based OS, but Tizen may or may not be it.
Since Google acquired Motorola, maybe Samsung needs this new OS.

Blackberry seems more possible competitor for iOS.

Last edited:

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
It's too late now.

There is iOS, Android and Mocrosoft's latest failure... Whatever it is, simply because Microsoft can afford to stay in the game.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
I think blackberry OS is good, another option for people. However I agree that samsung should stick with android.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Very interested in Blackberry 10 OS actually. Will be exciting to see a new platform. Hopefully they get Skype and some other big apps onboard.

Internaut

macrumors 65816
Tizen is interesting. It rises out of the Ashes of Meego, one of Nokia's "burning platforms". I understand it will not be Android compatible (at least from the get go).

However, it's going to be a tough market for any new OS entrant at the moment. I forget where, but I read a fairly coherent opinion piece before Christmas that suggested WinPho would fail because of the lack of Google support. I wouldn't necessarily agree (Microsoft near as damnit has its own complete ecosystem, right down to having maps, documents, push email, calendaring of its own and so on) but a new entrant will have problems. Imagine for a moment buying a new phone that:

- Had no Kindle app (yes, that can be a biggie - as friends who bought bargain basement Blackberry Playbooks found)
- Doesn't sync easily with Google (they're turning off Google Sync)
- Doesn't support Google Drive or Sky Drive out of the box
- Doesn't yet have any of the myriad of applications iOS and Android take for granted (Dropbox, Evernote, public transport apps, apps for booking cinema tickets, photo apps, ANGRY Birds and so on).

I get the impression that new entrants to the market think a phone that supports Facebook and Twitter out of the box is good enough these days. I think not.

Last edited:

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 28, 2011
It's too late now.

There is iOS, Android and Mocrosoft's latest failure... Whatever it is, simply because Microsoft can afford to stay in the game.

Apple's image is not changing for the better as it grows, imo. Some just refuse to use Google because of privacy concerns. More and more I find people critical (or just bored) of iOS and Android. A new OS will have to be VERY good, but it could happen.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination

While I personally don't consider fragmentation as much of an issue as it was with Froyo I would have to agree. The last thing we need is yet another OS that may or may not get the app backing of Google of serious devs.

Sammy needs to stick with Android, skin it slightly, and continue to integrate its products. Maybe even start offering a more direct online retail approach. Skip the whole Samsung OS thing.

Now Blackberry 10 is another story. I never understood the appeal to Blackberry, but I know those that loves it may jump back if the device, OS, apps, and ecosystem are right.

bearboy

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2010
Chi-town
I think it's too little to late for RIM. IOS and Android are going to be the two dominent OS's for mobile devices for the forseeable future. I know very few friends, family, coworkers and clients still rocking BB nowadays.

I'm sure the BB faithful will get this but for people invested in IOS or Android I see no major reason to change. Microsoft will continue to pour millions in Windows 8 phones to ensure it has major footprint in the marketplace, something BB really can't do.

I hope RIM has success because there should always be choice in the marketplace. But I can't see RIM returning to the good ole' days of 4-5 years ago.

As far as Samsung, stick with Android. Take the Apple approach of providing timely updates and keep improving the user experience.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
While I personally don't consider fragmentation as much of an issue as it was with Froyo I would have to agree. The last thing we need is yet another OS that may or may not get the app backing of Google of serious devs.

Sammy needs to stick with Android, skin it slightly, and continue to integrate its products. Maybe even start offering a more direct online retail approach. Skip the whole Samsung OS thing.

Now Blackberry 10 is another story. I never understood the appeal to Blackberry, but I know those that loves it may jump back if the device, OS, apps, and ecosystem are right.

Fragmentation is progressively getting worse. Before it was just skinned versions of Android at the UI level but the kernel/core remained the same. Now we have major forks like Kindle Fire and Nook. Smartphone manufacturers like Samsung, LG, Motorola, Sony and others are modifying more and more of Android's kernel/core than before that they are effectively also forks of Android. This is bad because there are a dizzying array of different device hardware configurations that it will become difficult to develop for the OS. Samsung is in an unique position as Android market leader that they can influence this trend either positively or negatively. I understand that there are so many different Android smartphones and tablets and the need to differentiate amongst them. But if they all do forks of Android and continue on this current path, it will be destructive on progress. Updates to Android OS will be hard because there are so many different "flavors" of Android. This is how Linux is right now. Everyone is in charge of their own updates and as a platform, this isn't effective.

The lure and lust of BlackBerry was never about apps, ecosystem, multimedia, OS, etc. It was a messaging platform. Period. When most people think of BlackBerry, we associate it with BBM, email, QWERTY keyboards and office/business/enterprise/government level security. Nowadays, smartphone users are young and tech-savvy and want their phones to be connected to social networks, play/share multimedia, cameras, for gaming, for office/productivity work, etc. It's a Swiss Army knife that can be whatever you want it to be via apps. I don't think RIM can catch up because this is a fundamental difference between BlackBerry 10 and what smartphone users (which used to be business/government but are now everyone) want.

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 28, 2011
Nowadays, smartphone users are young and tech-savvy and want their phones to be connected to social networks, play/share multimedia, cameras, for gaming, for office/productivity work, etc. It's a Swiss Army knife that can be whatever you want it to be via apps. I don't think RIM can catch up because this is a fundamental difference between BlackBerry 10 and what smartphone users (which used to be business/government but are now everyone) want.

Blackberry 10 seems to have plenty of integrated social networking and productivity.
http://techone3.in/blackberry-10-os-screenshots-leaks-app-drawer-full-of-social-networking-2703/

70,000 apps to be available at launch:
http://bgr.com/2012/12/18/blackberry-10-apps-70000-257803/

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
Blackberry 10 seems to have plenty of integrated social networking and productivity.
http://techone3.in/blackberry-10-os-screenshots-leaks-app-drawer-full-of-social-networking-2703/

70,000 apps to be available at launch:
http://bgr.com/2012/12/18/blackberry-10-apps-70000-257803/

It's looking like the vast majority of those 70k apps are going to be total trash. They're paying small developers $100 per app submitted. These apps can be ANYTHING, I made $200 in 5 minutes by making 2 apps that just open a web-page.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't see tizen succeeding - little to no developer support, no real carrier support.

RIM may have its ducks in a row to succeed but its no guarantee, BB10 may still fail but at least they at least have carrier support

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
I think it's too little to late for RIM. IOS and Android are going to be the two dominent OS's for mobile devices for the forseeable future. I know very few friends, family, coworkers and clients still rocking BB nowadays.

I'm sure the BB faithful will get this but for people invested in IOS or Android I see no major reason to change. Microsoft will continue to pour millions in Windows 8 phones to ensure it has major footprint in the marketplace, something BB really can't do.

I hope RIM has success because there should always be choice in the marketplace. But I can't see RIM returning to the good ole' days of 4-5 years ago.

As far as Samsung, stick with Android. Take the Apple approach of providing timely updates and keep improving the user experience.

The same has been said when the iPhone first came out in 2007. It's never too late for an OS to succeed.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
Personally, I think Tizen is NOT aimed for First World markets--those will be handled by Android-based devices like future versions of the Galaxy S and Galaxy Note.

Tizen is aimed for developing world markets or certain First World markets, where lower cost--even if you have to sacrifice some features--is important. Indeed, don't be surprised that Samsung is working on a Tizen-based cellphone that works specifically on China Mobile's TD-SCDMA network.

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 28, 2011
It's looking like the vast majority of those 70k apps are going to be total trash. They're paying small developers $100 per app submitted. These apps can be ANYTHING, I made $200 in 5 minutes by making 2 apps that just open a web-page.

In my opinion that's true for other app stores too, 9 out of ten apps useless.

The same has been said when the iPhone first came out in 2007. It's never too late for an OS to succeed.

Blackberry was Apple a few years ago. Everyone said BB couldn't lose. iOS changed that. Content helps Apple, but if BB10 is good millions will return.

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
In my opinion that's true for other app stores too, 9 out of ten apps useless.

Blackberry was Apple a few years ago. Everyone said BB couldn't lose. iOS changed that. Content helps Apple, but if BB10 is good millions will return.

I think your ratio of useless apps is rather high, but I have the same amount of proof as you do.

All I can comment on is that I have personally contributed to the "useless" apps in BB app world simply for the monetary gain. I can also guarantee that dozens, if not hundreds of developers have done the exact same thing. Apple's app store has some standards, currently BlackBerry's has almost none, similar to Google Play (if it doesn't break the device, it's good to go).

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
Samsung are big enough and have enough weight to back Tizen and replace their Android line up with Tizen... what is REALLY in it for Samsung to use Android??? they have to pay Google, they don't really care if its open they want to lock you in :) Same as google will go with Motorola in the future.

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 28, 2011
I think your ratio of useless apps is rather high, but I have the same amount of proof as you do.

All I can comment on is that I have personally contributed to the "useless" apps in BB app world simply for the monetary gain. I can also guarantee that dozens, if not hundreds of developers have done the exact same thing. Apple's app store has some standards, currently BlackBerry's has almost none, similar to Google Play (if it doesn't break the device, it's good to go).

Seems BB10 will support Android apps:
http://bgr.com/2013/01/08/blackberry-app-world-stolen-android-apps-285705/#more-285705

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.