Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Nov 28, 2010
located
The new Apple TV (the black one), does not have any HDD inside, it has a small 8 GB (if I remember correctly) flash storage, which is only for temporary data and not for actual storage of your files. The USB port also does not seem to allow an external HDD: http://forum.firecore.com/topic/8554

You might have to look at AirPlay or an older Apple TV 1 (the silver one).

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
There is no hard drive in the newer Apple TV; only 8GB soldered Flash.
To my knowledge no JB available.
Any you can only stream; the system will cache files (e.g. Rented movies) but as user you can't manage that.

Edit: I was too slow ... :eek:

Other idea: get a used iPad 2 or 3 and connect it via HDMI to TV ...

Last edited:

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
.... I am considering getting an Apple TV for my mother for her birthday since she loved watching these videos and I feel like I can simply upload the movies / mv I have bought on iTunes to an Apple TV before I head off to college

If you bought the movies on itunes, simply setup the appleTV with your itunes info and she will be able to stream movies, TV and music which you have purchased. You mentioned youtube, there is an app for that, no need to store the files.

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
As I said, I am going off to college and would like to leave them on the hard drive. My mom isn't very technological so I want to leave YouTube videos and songs she likes on the hard drive so she can easily watch them with the remote. (No need to pull the YouTube app)

You can stream all of your iTunes content to the Apple TV2 or 3. Movies, music, pictures etc. Just turn on homesharing in itunes.

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
As I said, I am going off to college and would like to leave them on the hard drive. My mom isn't very technological so I want to leave YouTube videos and songs she likes on the hard drive so she can easily watch them with the remote. (No need to pull the YouTube app)

I don't see why having mom click Purchased, or youtube icon is any harder than clicking Computers icon.

If the video files really are purchased or on youtube, this seems like an easy answer.

If the video files are not purchased, simply have itunes on their home computer, and homesharing allows them access via AppleTV in one click.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
As others said above, it has no hard drive so for what you want to do, it's not possible. You pretty much need either a computer or be able to know how to stream iTunes purchases down from iCloud. So it seems the only options are to teach your mother how to use it or just keep with the original Apple TV.

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
I don't think you're understanding. I am going off to college, yes - with my Macbook Pro. Meaning I won't be able to 'stream' the content for her while I am away, so it's not an 'easy answer' because I prefer storing everything for her / loading the ATV with videos that she likes instead of having her YouTube everything with the remote. That's what she liked about my aunt's older Apple TV - the way she had all her music videos and songs stored where she could easily access them with the click of a button. There is no home computer because my mother is a single mother and she doesn't have a home computer (she's not very good at technological things, hence why I thought this would be a good gift).

Why would I be mad...? I was at work all day. :confused:

Purchased items (Movies, TV, Music, etc) stream over the cloud. No Macbook needed. YouTube has a favorites area too. Thats what I was saying is easy.

But yes. If she doesn't have internet, apple TV isn't the best solution. Western Digital is super easy to plug a thumbdrive into.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.