Can I store / upload files to an Apple TV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by zooby, Jan 4, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502

On the new Apple TV, can you store or upload files from my computer to it? I ask this because my aunt has many music videos/youtube videos stored on it (as flv/.vob files), yet it is an older Apple TV. I am considering getting an Apple TV for my mother for her birthday since she loved watching these videos and I feel like I can simply upload the movies / mv I have bought on iTunes to an Apple TV before I head off to college.

Can this be done with the new Apple TV or does it have to be jailbroken or something of the sort? Is the hard drive space enough for a variety of videos?

Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

The new Apple TV (the black one), does not have any HDD inside, it has a small 8 GB (if I remember correctly) flash storage, which is only for temporary data and not for actual storage of your files. The USB port also does not seem to allow an external HDD: http://forum.firecore.com/topic/8554

You might have to look at AirPlay or an older Apple TV 1 (the silver one).

3. ChristianJapan, Jan 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2013

macrumors demi-god

ChristianJapan

There is no hard drive in the newer Apple TV; only 8GB soldered Flash.
    To my knowledge no JB available.
    Any you can only stream; the system will cache files (e.g. Rented movies) but as user you can't manage that.

Edit: I was too slow ... :eek:

Other idea: get a used iPad 2 or 3 and connect it via HDMI to TV ...

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

So is it better if I get an older Apple TV 1 or no use in it?

5. macrumors 6502a

If you bought the movies on itunes, simply setup the appleTV with your itunes info and she will be able to stream movies, TV and music which you have purchased. You mentioned youtube, there is an app for that, no need to store the files.

6. thread starter macrumors 6502

As I said, I am going off to college and would like to leave them on the hard drive. My mom isn't very technological so I want to leave YouTube videos and songs she likes on the hard drive so she can easily watch them with the remote. (No need to pull the YouTube app)

7. macrumors demi-god

ChristianJapan

8. macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

You can stream all of your iTunes content to the Apple TV2 or 3. Movies, music, pictures etc. Just turn on homesharing in itunes.

9. macrumors 6502a

I don't see why having mom click Purchased, or youtube icon is any harder than clicking Computers icon.

If the video files really are purchased or on youtube, this seems like an easy answer.

If the video files are not purchased, simply have itunes on their home computer, and homesharing allows them access via AppleTV in one click.

10. macrumors newbie

sounds like OP is now mad :mad:

11. thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't think you're understanding. I am going off to college, yes - with my Macbook Pro. Meaning I won't be able to 'stream' the content for her while I am away, so it's not an 'easy answer' because I prefer storing everything for her / loading the ATV with videos that she likes instead of having her YouTube everything with the remote. That's what she liked about my aunt's older Apple TV - the way she had all her music videos and songs stored where she could easily access them with the click of a button. There is no home computer because my mother is a single mother and she doesn't have a home computer (she's not very good at technological things, hence why I thought this would be a good gift).

Why would I be mad...? I was at work all day. :confused:

12. macrumors 65816

lunaoso

As others said above, it has no hard drive so for what you want to do, it's not possible. You pretty much need either a computer or be able to know how to stream iTunes purchases down from iCloud. So it seems the only options are to teach your mother how to use it or just keep with the original Apple TV.

13. macrumors 6502a

Purchased items (Movies, TV, Music, etc) stream over the cloud. No Macbook needed. YouTube has a favorites area too. Thats what I was saying is easy.

But yes. If she doesn't have internet, apple TV isn't the best solution. Western Digital is super easy to plug a thumbdrive into.