Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jqc

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
have had mini for a few weeks, gave 3 to wife; recently used the 3 again for about 10 mins, couldnt believe how heavy it was in comparison. Mini all the way. I was worried about lack of retina too but it hasnt bothered me much at all even though I was really worried it will (doesnt mean I wont get retina when it comes out because its just that much nicer). All I do is read books, magazines, newspapers, emails, etc. on it.

Although much easier to carry around its been a bit more of a pain, ironically because of how fragile I think it is. I am scared to put any weight on it (i.e., being set down in a bag where all the heavy stuff is on top of it) for fear it will get crushed!

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
I switched from an ipad 1 to an ipad mini just before Christmas. I really like the ipad mini but I also miss the screen real estate of the large ipad even though the resolution is the same. Also, with the ipad I felt I could defend myself against muggers while the ipad mini would undoubtedly bend if I tried to defend myself with it - I like the solid feel of the large iPad even if ultimately I prefer the light weight of the mini.

I've seen the retina display many times (and I have an iphone 4) and of course they're better, but I think the mini's screen is excellent as well. I've been using the 'reader' function in safari for website reading and I've also been trying out atomic and mercury browsers which allow adjustment of font size. I particularly like mercury even though it seems to crash more often than safari and atomic web. I do a lot of reading on the mini - ebook formatted books are superb and reading pdf files very good even though it requires more scrolling and zooming.

On balance, I think I'll stick to the ipad mini for its thinness, weight and extreme portability.

Last edited:

Paulywauly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
Durham, UK
I just got a Mini yesterday (still have an iPad 3 for now) i'm not regretting it, the weight is so much better and its no slower than the 3. Although for me there appear to be a couple of compromises,
- The colour gamut or black levels aren't as good. Image dont "pop" in the way they do on an iPad 3/4. Although the lack of Retina isn't as big a deal as it i thought it might be.
- Larger websites with complex formatting and small text which were readable on a full size ipad require alot of zooming as the text is way too small. Admittedly my eyesight isn't great so this isnt an issue with the device.

If your a gamer i'd recommend a Mini over a full sized one. IMO the smaller size and weight just suit handheld gaming more

dthree36

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
non here and I left an ipad 2 for the exact same hardware minus camera for a smaller form factor.

Bokes

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
have had mini for a few weeks, gave 3 to wife; recently used the 3 again for about 10 mins, couldnt believe how heavy it was in comparison. Mini all the way. I was worried about lack of retina too but it hasnt bothered me much at all even though I was really worried it will (doesnt mean I wont get retina when it comes out because its just that much nicer). All I do is read books, magazines, newspapers, emails, etc. on it.

Really?
because all I really do is read books, comics and magazines- surf web....and I find the fuzzy text very distracting vs the retina.
I tried the mini for a week then went back to the 3.
I gave the mini to son- who only plays games.

yeah- the full size is heavier- but still smaller than average
newstand magazine.

6 years ago- when most lugged around 15inch laptops- NO one would be complaining about the size and weight of a full size iPad. That said, mini with the retina screen is going to be a fantastic device.

Last edited by a moderator:

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
The full sized iPad is now to heavy and cumbersome to use.

I love my iPad Mini and would not trade it for a free iPad 4.

The 4 is 2 ounces heavier, wow. It may be more cumbersome to use but 2 ounces isn't too heavy!

evoixdan

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2010
Returned my iPad 4 32 gig for a 64 gig mini. The size plus extra storage made it a no brainier. Will upgrade to a mini retina when the time comes.

I only notice the lack of retina on forums, not so much in iBooks.

Fantom555

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2007
New York City
I just got a Mini yesterday (still have an iPad 3 for now) i'm not regretting it, the weight is so much better and its no slower than the 3. Although for me there appear to be a couple of compromises,
- The colour gamut or black levels aren't as good. Image dont "pop" in the way they do on an iPad 3/4. Although the lack of Retina isn't as big a deal as it i thought it might be.
- Larger websites with complex formatting and small text which were readable on a full size ipad require alot of zooming as the text is way too small. Admittedly my eyesight isn't great so this isnt an issue with the device.

If your a gamer i'd recommend a Mini over a full sized one. IMO the smaller size and weight just suit handheld gaming more

btw i am in the same boat as you i got mine yesterday and i am torn about it. this week when i go to work will be the testing it in the office and if it passes the office test the ipad 3 will be sold.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
No regrets for me.

I went from an iPad 1 to the mini and its been a great experience. The iPad is more hold-able, more portable and its usability because of its smaller size is superior so I'm loving it :)

Paulywauly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
Durham, UK
btw i am in the same boat as you i got mine yesterday and i am torn about it. this week when i go to work will be the testing it in the office and if it passes the office test the ipad 3 will be sold.

"office test"? good idea, might steal that. Not 100% sure on it so its worth a go. cheers!

ecks618

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2006
NYC
Just returned my iPad 4 for a mini. I have a macbook air so its I was always reluctant to carry the 4 for commuting, the mini just works so much better. I read the NYT for 20 min in the store and it didn't bother me at all so well worth it.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I have an iPad 4 & iPad mini, frankly I cannot imagine not owning them both.

They are just different enough to serve me well for the various ways I use a tablet. When it comes to being out and about the mini is so easy to take with me, it's a no brainer.

Harrycooke

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2012
London
I tried the mini and returned it. I am visually impaired and rather myopic, so I am very sensitive to differences in screen resolution. On top if that, I only have sight in one eye which I am sure factors into my assessment the form factor and weight were very attractive as regards the mini, but it always was blurry. Albeit smaller, I found the iPhone 5 to be much clearer for me.

I will re-evaluate when and if there is a Retina version. I suspect others with better vision will not have these issues.

Jay

Surely to someone with full vision it would appear worse? As they would find it easier to identify individual pixels? Just wondering.

mrgossett

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008
I got to compare the Mini with an iPad 3 (what I have) for the first time at WalMart yesterday. They had them running a demo side-by-side in the display case. On some parts of the demo, I could tell a slight difference in sharpness between the two, but it wasn't huge. iBooks looked just fine, and so did pictures and graphics. What they didn't have on each demo were web pages, which might be a more noticeable difference. I wish I lived near an Apple Store to get more hands-on time with the Mini before I decide to go ahead and buy one.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
Considering exchanging my iPad 4 for a mini due to the smaller form factor. I have to go to Best Buy tomorrow to return something so I'll get a chance to test out the Mini then and make a decision at that point.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I got to compare the Mini with an iPad 3 (what I have) for the first time at WalMart yesterday. They had them running a demo side-by-side in the display case. On some parts of the demo, I could tell a slight difference in sharpness between the two, but it wasn't huge. iBooks looked just fine, and so did pictures and graphics. What they didn't have on each demo were web pages, which might be a more noticeable difference. I wish I lived near an Apple Store to get more hands-on time with the Mini before I decide to go ahead and buy one.

How much web browsing will you do? You can utilize a different browser to increase font size, use landscape mode, or use mobile website version of what you would be viewing (where applicable).

Walmart has a return policy. Best to pick one up for use in your own environment and see how you feel.

xMClass

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2011
California
Just held a family members iPad 2. Never going back to a full sized iPad. Thing felt like a brick with a touch screen compared to my mini.

dsa1971

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
I have the ipad 3. Purchased the ipad mini. Used it for little over a week. Liked the size. Very light and easy to hold. But after being used to retina display not having it on the mini definitely bothered me. Mostly with text. Returned mini. Will wait for mini with retina. Mini is still a very good device and no retina is obviously not a problem for many people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.