Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peacenfunk

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2010
So, it's been nearly two months since the new iPad and iPad mini came out. After having this much time now, how do you feel with your purchase? Are you happy with it?

When the next generations are released do you think you will get the same or change of mind?

I have an iPad mini but may get the iPad 5 if the mini is realeased at the same time.

Thoughts?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm extremely happy with my purchase and to be honest I'm not looking forward at what apple may or may not do for the next generation. When apple does in fact release it I'll consider but what you're asking is two different types of tablets.

The mini is a 7" tablet that is great at a number of things. The iPad 4 (and presumably the 5) is a larger tablet with a superior screen - it offers a different set of features, like a faster processor but because its larger is less mobile (I cannot put the iPad 4 in my coat pocket).

Enjoy what you have today and if you like any of the new products then you can sell what you have and then get the new one.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
The next gen products aren't likely to differ much except be a little faster. Any thin & lightness for an ipad 5 is negated by the case you throw on it. The Mini is highly unlikely to go retina anytime soon. Buy for now, enjoy now.

shortcrust

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2008
Very pleased with my mini. I couldn't go back to a full size one now. I'll only upgrade when a retina mini comes out.

Peter K.

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2012
Philly / SoCal / Jersey Shore
I bought my 32 GB iPad 4 on Black Friday at Target and I am seriously considering returning it while I still can, in anticipation of buying an iPad 5 (if it becomes apparent that they are coming out in March).

I sort of regret not getting 64 GB anyway, but it all depends on what news the next two weeks bring.

flight

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
It really depends on the software. If my iPad still runs the my apps and operating system well, then I can wait until the next upgrade.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
When the next generations are released do you think you will get the same or change of mind?
I bought a Mini knowing there would probably be an update in under 12 months. I don't plan on replacing it any time soon. I had been using a 3rd gen iPod Touch. As long as the Mini meets my needs why replace it?

I'll replace it when it no longer needs my needs. Or after a couple of years, if the battery needs replacement I'll look at buying a new iPad instead og possibly just getting the battery service done.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
I bought a Mini knowing there would probably be an update in under 12 months. I don't plan on replacing it any time soon. I had been using a 3rd gen iPod Touch. As long as the Mini meets my needs why replace it?

I'll replace it when it no longer needs my needs. Or after a couple of years, if the battery needs replacement I'll look at buying a new iPad instead og possibly just getting the battery service done.

Same reason I'm keeping and enjoying my 3rd gen iPad. When the 4th upgrade came out so quickly I initially felt blindsided, thought I needed the faster processor and the lightning port to go with my new iPhone 5, but really, I don't see my needs being better fulfiled by selling my 3 at a loss and getting a 4 when I can just hold out until the iPad 5th or 6th gens come out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.