Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roarkist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Im having an issue with the sleep/wake button where it wont respond when i press it. It usually works, but every 5 or so clicks it wont turn on/off, which annoys the heck outta me. I was wondering if anyone here thinks a genius would be able to help me with such a minor issue, or if im being a bit ridiculous by trying to get it fixed.

aimeeinohio

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2010
Not ridiculous at all!!! It should work. Are you out of warrenty? I'd get it fixed or replaced.

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
I always used the home button to wake up and was surprised my sleep wake didn't. I would get it fixed

jrz

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2012
I have an issue similar... But for me, my switch only works at all if pressed on the left side. It has been so since I bought it 2 months ago- but I have just not made time to get back to the Apple store. I think it is worth at least an ask at the genius bar. If you go, let us know your results...

Astec

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2012
mine did the same thing.

from the start out of the box, the button didnt sit firm, it had wiggle and didnt sit level, which i was somewhat ok with. Then 2 weeks ago the right side of the button went dead. Called Apple, made the appointment, genius looked at it, went back and got me another one. Took 10 mins and I was on my way. Got a week 50 production phone from the white box.

Roarkist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Thanks guys ill give it a shot and keep you updated. The iPhone is automatically covered under 1-year warranty correct?

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
This has just started happening to me too. Mine is a launch day IP5 which has worked flawlessly in all respects. However the last 3-4 days I click it to wake/sleep the phone and nothing happens. Click it again and it works. Its not too bad at the moment but I would imagine it will get progressively worse.

I also have 1 dead pixel which has been there since launch (the pixels are so small I could barely see it) so I guess now is a good time to get it swapped out. Good thing Apple are super cool when it comes to faults.

Brad02

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2011
I have an issue similar... But for me, my switch only works at all if pressed on the left side. It has been so since I bought it 2 months ago- but I have just not made time to get back to the Apple store. I think it is worth at least an ask at the genius bar. If you go, let us know your results...

+1. Same issue on mine. Left side of button will wake/sleep but right side of button wont do anything 9/10 times.

jrz

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2012
+1. Same issue on mine. Left side of button will wake/sleep but right side of button wont do anything 9/10 times.

I went back to the Apple store- before even looking at it, they told me I’d probably be getting a replacement phone. A few questions, tested it for 2 seconds, and said, “I’ll be back with a new phone.” Just like that. Simple. New phone is perfect. Take it in if you haven’t already…

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Rule #1. When your under warranty iPhone or iDevice is not functioning properly and you have restored/reset/ to no avail, TAKE IT TO AN APPLE STORE. They will fix it, ESPECIALLY with a hardware failure. :eek:

Brad02

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2011
I went back to the Apple store- before even looking at it, they told me I’d probably be getting a replacement phone. A few questions, tested it for 2 seconds, and said, “I’ll be back with a new phone.” Just like that. Simple. New phone is perfect. Take it in if you haven’t already…

Yeah I knew they would replace it no questions asked. Sad thing is my wife's phone the day after I had mine swapped she told me that hers is now doing the same time. Had to take hers in as well.

I just hate wasting all these screen protectors and stuff. It's really a hassle for me because my job requires me to have a sticker on mine and it shows void when you try to peel it off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.