Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gto55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2010
Tel Aviv
Apple back in the console wars ?

Could Disney be working with Apple on a new Gaming Console Called Toy Box?

In October the New York Times reported that several new initiatives were underway at Disney to finally get their online business to stop bleeding cash.
The New York Times concludes their report by reasoning that "given Disney's ties with Pixar, which is also connected to Apple, which certainly has aspirations of their own, it's not such a crazy idea if one truly thinks about it."Well, interestingly enough, Disney's gaming- console may in fact be real and our report points to that proof.

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2013/01/could-disney-be-working-with-apple-on-a-new-gaming-console-called-toy-box.html

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Sounds like an awful idea that would just bleed more cash for Disney. I think - if done right - it could really cripple Nintendo, who I thought of when I saw those blatant DS rip off drawings.

Disney could very easily take away the kiddie gaming market from Nintendo. Kids these days don't care or perhaps even know about Mario, Zelda, etc. They have no real incentive to buy into the Nintendo brand unless their parents introduce it to them. Many families have a Wii because it was the only family friendly option on the market. Disney could capture this.

However, this market does not seem large enough in my opinion to result in a profitable move by Disney. Start up costs for any console - let alone a next-gen one described in the blog - are astronomical. Then you need to get developers to hop on board. After that, then you will most certainly have to sell at a loss for some time.

Is Disney willing to risk that much to what is certainly a stretch gamble? I know it is Disney and the war chest has to be pretty stocked, but I'm not sure that's a smart bet worth placing.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Doesn't Disney have loads of these 'consoles' its just that people don't classify or see them in the same way they do with Nintendo, Sony & Microsoft.

71nltLmwXVL._AA1000_.jpg

If Disney are working on a new console, I imagine its another e-leaning bastard child.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.