Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
Hi,
i bought an iPad in America a couple of days ago. I live in the Uk and am back home now but have noticed my iPad 4th gen has a yellow tint. Am i able to swap it out for another in a Uk store despite it having the American charger?

Thanks

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
You could try but surely they'll ask for a receipt and it'll show it was purchased in the US so UK support might be declined.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
my sister bought a macbook pro from america and swapped it for a uk one so if that works, surely an iPad would. I bought it directly from apple and have proof of purchase. I am also within the 14days return and the warranty is global so..... should work

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2012
The warranty is international and 14 day policy only states it needs to be from an apple store. Should be fine

gusping

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
The warranty is international and 14 day policy only states it needs to be from an apple store. Should be fine

Thank you ever so much. Clear and simple answer!:D

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
You will only be able to get a service part (i.e. refurbished one). The american iPad will not physically go through the till in the UK since it's a different part (the last part of the US model is LL/A, the UK ones are B/A), with or without a receipt.

The returns policy states http://www.apple.com/legal/sales_policies/retail_us.html

Products can be returned only in the country in which they were originally purchased.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Returned and swapped out for another is different

Nope - they can do a repair, so you can get a brown box version, but the till won't physically let them refund/replace them (they can't do straight swaps on iPads anyway, they have to refund them to gift card then re-buy).

The UK till system isn't even aware of the US parts - thus they can't be returned or replaced, other than through a genius bar swap.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
Nope - they can do a repair, so you can get a brown box version, but the till won't physically let them refund/replace them (they can't do straight swaps on iPads anyway, they have to refund them to gift card then re-buy).

The UK till system isn't even aware of the US parts - thus they can't be returned or replaced, other than through a genius bar swap.

My sister got her whole laptop swapped from a US one to a UK one though....

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
My sister got her whole laptop swapped from a US one to a UK one though....

That wouldn't have been done on the spot in store - and they'd usually only do that if she'd had multiple problems. They may have ordered one in, but they wont do that for an iPad - and it'd take about 2-3 weeks for a Mac since they'd have to bring it over from China.

If you don't believe me that's fine - I'm just saying what their systems do/don't allow in-store - just don't get your hopes up that you'll walk out with a new sealed UK one - it's physically impossible. You will however, get a refurb which works perfectly :)

gusping

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
That wouldn't have been done on the spot in store - and they'd usually only do that if she'd had multiple problems. They may have ordered one in, but they wont do that for an iPad - and it'd take about 2-3 weeks for a Mac since they'd have to bring it over from China.

If you don't believe me that's fine - I'm just saying what their systems do/don't allow in-store - just don't get your hopes up that you'll walk out with a new sealed UK one - it's physically impossible. You will however, get a refurb which works perfectly :)

i think i'd rather have a yellow tint iPad than a refurbed one as thats 2nd hand...

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
i think i'd rather have a yellow tint iPad than a refurbed one as thats 2nd hand...

I wouldn't worry about it - all Apple replacements are refurbs, but they'll have a new outer casing, new outer glass and a new battery. You wont be able to tell the difference and it will have gone through better QC than a new one :)

gusping

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
I wouldn't worry about it - all Apple replacements are refurbs, but they'll have a new outer casing, new outer glass and a new battery. You wont be able to tell the difference and it will have gone through better QC than a new one :)

Good point.... How do you know so much about all this then? :)

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012

Lots of experience :D Good luck though and enjoy your iPad! :)

gusping

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
Lots of experience :D Good luck though and enjoy your iPad! :)

I will, i've owned every single iPad ;) and do you reckon i could change the colour from white to black... or is that asking too much?

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Just my input, my friend had a USA MacBook
Pro with a graphics card issue, they said they'd replace it but had to order one from the States. Came in a few days and they swapped it no problem.

yellowbunny

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
My ipad bought in US developed a backlight problem, took it straight to apple and they swapped it o questions asked.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
My ipad bought in US developed a backlight problem, took it straight to apple and they swapped it o questions asked.

Did you tell them it was from the US? did they swap the whole box or just the iPad?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.