Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 3, 2009
Well, decided I may try the ipad only challenge. Nice desktop, figure why not.

Anyone using just their ipad out there? Any tips? Going at this with a ipad 4 with lte.

luqtotheman

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
I have a laptop, but I mainly use my ipad for majority of my computing activities.

My laptop acts as a central hub for everything, if you have a good desktop I don't think you need a laptop. If it is necessary fo you to have fast typing on the go, you can get a keyboard that has a build in case.

There are plenty of apps that make the ipad a very useful device that has a great battery life.

roccobladr

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
I tried it at work on Friday for the first time.

Depends on what you use it for but as long as you have some type of desktop/laptop at home for all your extra storage needs etc I think it is totally viable.

At home I find it perfect for messging, web surfings, reading and games.

At work I use numbers for simple spreadsheets and will try utilizing Dropbox more for PDFs and other docs I may need at quick glance.

iTunes Match makes things on the music end a little easier too.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 3, 2009
First ipad replacing laptop thread of 2013!

Yes!

----------

I tried it at work on Friday for the first time.

Depends on what you use it for but as long as you have some type of desktop/laptop at home for all your extra storage needs etc I think it is totally viable.

At home I find it perfect for messging, web surfings, reading and games.

At work I use numbers for simple spreadsheets and will try utilizing Dropbox more for PDFs and other docs I may need at quick glance.

iTunes Match makes things on the music end a little easier too.

This pretty much. I don't have music really. A couple tb of videos, so that's a non-starter no matter what.

S

syd430

Well, decided I may try the ipad only challenge. Nice desktop, figure why not.

Anyone using just their ipad out there? Any tips? Going at this with a ipad 4 with lte.

Given that you've provided no details on what you actually need a computer for, this thread is completely pointless.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Given that you've provided no details on what you actually need a computer for, this thread is completely pointless.

Bravo! Great point.

Can an ipad replace a laptop? Absolutely. If all you do is check email and browse the web, the ipad can run circles around a laptop.

Try burning a CD with an ipad though. It might prove somewhat difficult.... :p

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 3, 2009

Internet and email. Would have listed anything special.

----------

Bravo! Great point.

Can an ipad replace a laptop? Absolutely. If all you do is check email and browse the web, the ipad can run circles around a laptop.

Try burning a CD with an ipad though. It might prove somewhat difficult.... :p

People still use cd's. are leeches still in vogue? :D

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
The main thing that would prevent me from completely using my iPad instead of my laptop is the lack of robust finance apps for the iPad. Until I come across an app that can handle different types of investment accounts it's a no-go.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
People still use cd's. are leeches still in vogue? :D

Funny.

People still use GPS units, radar detectors, and other gadgets requiring firmware updates. The iPad can't handle that duty.

People still use software other than iOS, like Quicken. The iPad can't do that.

People still need to access flash. Fewer ever day, but some people still need to. If you are one of the few, the iPad will disappoint.

Some people still need to run VMs with other OSes, you know, like for work and stuff. The iPad can't do that.

The iPad is a very capable device, but please don't dream of it replacing a PC any time soon. Unless you don't do any of these things. For checking email its swell. And for some other things. But the list of things it can't do is still long and significant.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 3, 2009
Funny.

People still use GPS units, radar detectors, and other gadgets requiring firmware updates. The iPad can't handle that duty.

People still need to access flash. Fewer ever day, but some people still need to. If you are one of the few, the iPad will disappoint.

Some people still need to run VMs with other OSes, you know, like for work and stuff. The iPad can't do that.

The iPad is a very capable device, but please don't dream of it replacing a PC any time soon. Unless you don't do any of these things. For checking email its swell. And for some other things. But the list of things it can't do is still long and significant.

Think I'm good actually.

GPS is my iPhone.

Since I own my own company, I standardized the company on iOS about a year ago.

I'm actually pretty excited about trying this out. Need to find a decent case that holds the ipad and apple keyboard.

Last edited:

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Ipad max capacity is 64GB, Normal laptop equipped with 500GB. Thats for pic, video, games whatsoever. I think u need both but maybe not so expensive on the Laptop. It can be just centralized gadget to kinda organize whats in your ipad.

Laptop still very useful and i enjoy better using the mouse. Ipad can be mainly for games and movie watching when u travel.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 3, 2009
Ipad max capacity is 64GB, Normal laptop equipped with 500GB. Thats for pic, video, games whatsoever. I think u need both but maybe not so expensive on the Laptop. It can be just centralized gadget to kinda organize whats in your ipad.

Laptop still very useful and i enjoy better using the mouse. Ipad can be mainly for games and movie watching when u travel.

Only using 20gb on my old air. Don't really have mobile media. My video is about 2 tb, so won't be traveling with that either way.

S

syd430

Internet and email.

You will probably find over time that the iPad is much more optimal for these uses than your computer, if that is all you are using it for.

Last edited by a moderator:

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
The main thing that would prevent me from completely using my iPad instead of my laptop is the lack of robust finance apps for the iPad. Until I come across an app that can handle different types of investment accounts it's a no-go.

the main thing is doing complicated tasks on a 9.7" screen using your finger--with no mutitasking or multi window display-- is totally unworkable.

PrayForDeath

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
That's what I have currently, a desktop and an ipad. But I don't see the ipad replacing my desktop anytime soon...

Bernard SG

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010

And there's your idea for an awesome startup! :D

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The iPad is useful as a replacement if as mentioned you check your email or surf.

I find that the laptop is much to flexible and powerful to be replaced if you do anything more with it.

I run multiple operating systems on my laptop, connecting to my work network managing servers, running account software, software to edit/manage my photos and what not. The iPad would lilt under any of these tasks, so in this so post pc era, my MBP is orders of magnitude more useful, flexible and powerful then my iPad.

I'm sure I could a number of those tasks I delineated on the iPad but I'd rather not, especially when the laptop does it easier, faster and better.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I'd just add that "browsing the web" doesn't necessarily mean looking at funny pictures of cats :)

I've noticed many of these replacement threads have a "if you're _just_ browsing the web" theme ... we've got a couple of mission critical apps deployed, web-based, that work outstandingly well with the iPad (the particular task also involves capturing images, so it's a nice, self contained solution vs. a notebook + camera).

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Consumption vs. Production

If consumption is much of someone's game- that is, reading/watching/listening- an iPad can definitely be a great alternative to a laptop.

If production is much of someone's game- that is, writing (lots), developing something for others to watch, developing something for others to hear- and/or heavy lifting (processor intensive) chores, an iPad is a poor alternative to a laptop.

The more someone needs a keyboard, the weaker the virtual keyboard becomes. The more someone needs raw horsepower, the weaker the ponies within the iPad show. To get to a destination I can ride a bike or drive a car. If the destination is nearby, the bike might work about as well. However, if the destination is far, the bike option wanes.

If the bulk of your computing is producing, the "challenge" is unlikely to yield "an iPad can work for me." If you mostly read/watch/listen to other people's production, it can work well.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
With a desktop, I think for most people this is perfectly doable.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
Funny.

Not that I could lose my lap or desktops...BUT, in response, the iPad has transformed my business...and my employees are now only carrying iPads for communication and on-site production.

As far as GPS--yes, the iPad (LTE model) has it--including an excellent 'app' from Cobra that integrates with a radar detector

Quicken is powerful...we use it for our business expense tracking...BUT, for personal finance, Mint works well!!

If you really do need Flash still... Skyfire, Photon, and Puffin do a fine job...but as you say, it's becoming less essential every day

VMs? Through LogMeIn or the 'new' app from Avatron-- 'Air LogIn' you're able to access the 'mothership' @ home or the office while on the go. This will allow you to fiddle with your VMs for minor tasks, etc. However...the masses have no need to utilize a virtual machine on their main system, much less their tablet.

We are a dying breed here @ MR...as are other 'geeks' that enjoy big power, the latest processors, big n powerful GPUs, et al. The public...they need email, messaging, Facebook, Twitter, a camera, music...a way to watch video and share information...most folks aren't crunching massive DNA calculations or exploring the depths of the universe--nor are they using virtual machines or do they need a powerhouse program like Quicken for their personal finances

Those of us that do need a desk/laptop in our daily lives might step back and asks themselves IF they really do. You've quantified a couple very select situations one WOULD need the power afforded by a real computer...but the power today available in our smartphones and tablets exceeds, IMHO, the real power and storage capacity that most of the general public actually needs!

J

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.