Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Color me impressed. Very impressed.

----------

Doesn't even really look like a 5" phone...

mat21xperiaz.jpg

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Color me impressed. Very impressed.

----------

Doesn't even really look like a 5" phone...

Are those on screen controls on the Xperia Z? Can't really tell from the photo.

Won't be looking out for this one though, I am not particularly fond of Sony's Android UI, pales in comparison to TouchWiz.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Phone looks really nice but will wait for some reviews and the S4 before I get to excited.

Same. I want to see what the South Korean counterpart can come up with before any decision to be made. Samsung's S IV specs won't be any shabbier than this either. :p

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
What does this mean? (sorry, I don't know anything about android)

Each manufacturer uses Android as its base and then add some of its own DNA or skin if you like on top of the bare Android for its own user interface, Samsungs is called Touch Wiz, I dont know what Sony's is called, but it seems like the poster you quoted preferred Samsungs. Hope that helps. :)

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
Each manufacturer uses Android as its base and then add some of its own DNA or skin if you like on top of the bare Android for its own user interface, Samsungs is called Touch Wiz, I dont know what Sony's is called, but it seems like the poster you quoted preferred Samsungs. Hope that helps. :)
Gotcha, thanks for that! I did a quick bit of research and found this on Techcrunch.com:

"On top of Android, the Xperia Z has a lightweight Sony UI, but thankfully the company appears to be learning that less is more when it comes to skinning Android. The UI has shed some of the uglier widget animations that were a blight on past Xperia devices, and felt fast and slick during my brief hands on. Sony said the UI is not*something it intends to emphasise — it’s not even giving it a brand name."

So maybe it's not so bad on this new phone ??

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Won't be looking out for this one though, I am not particularly fond of Sony's Android UI, pales in comparison to TouchWiz.

I agree, but I remember reading something about how you can turn off the Sony UI. Don't quote me on it though. I think it was in one of the rumor posts on the internet.

Even then, aftermarket community will have stock ROMs ASAP after it comes out. But this is the one thing I fear. Even though this might be a powerhouse, the S4 is going to be the more popular phone, which means a bigger dev community on XDA.

I'm honestly torn. I'm a Sony fan, but recently Samsung is eating their lunch.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
I agree, but I remember reading something about how you can turn off the Sony UI. Don't quote me on it though. I think it was in one of the rumor posts on the internet.

Even then, aftermarket community will have stock ROMs ASAP after it comes out. But this is the one thing I fear. Even though this might be a powerhouse, the S4 is going to be the more popular phone, which means a bigger dev community on XDA.

Oh can turn off? Hopefully that's the case, but I'm still doubtful.

Nah, don't feel like installing ROMs even if I got an Android device. I'll just leave it as it is, install a few widgets, that's it.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
I hear ya. I'm an ex-Sony guy... all of my TVs were always Sony TVs, I've got the PS3, etc. But my current/latest big screen TV is a Samsung, my new laptop computer is a Samsung and I very much like the Galaxy S3 and Note 2.

Then again, this new Sony phone seems to have everything I could possibly want in a phone. And the fact that it's toilet and pool friendly is VERY attractive to me. No joke. :)

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
That's one nice looking phone. Sony knows how to design nice looking hardware (although they also design some pretty awful looking devices too- see latest PS3 revision). Hopefully it does well for them, they really haven't had much luck with phones in the past few years. They haven't had much luck with anything really, the poor old PS Vita is still isn't selling much. I hope the PS4 brings them better luck. Although I really, really hope that the PS4's OS isn't based on Android (there's been rumours of this floating around). The PS Vita's OS wasn't, so I hope they'll follow suit there.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
We recently moved from PS3 to Xbox (our son begged us for Xbox!). We still have the PS3 but only use it for BluRay DVDs now. There's no way I'd buy the PS4 at this point.

I'll tell ya, I really wish this new Sony phone was the new Samsung Galaxy instead. I'm much more in Samsung's camp now, and I'd feel better about buying a Galaxy over this Xperia (to be completely honest). I guess I'll hafta wait to see how the S4 turns out -- but I'm really likin' the waterproof feature of the Sony.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Sony just up-ed their game for sure. I think they have a great chance at taking 2nd place. HTC and LG should be very worried about the Xperia Z.

Let's face it, Samsung's S4 will [most likely] reign king of Android.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.